MW2 gameplay and strategies thread

I hate people who run around knifing with lightweight, marathon, and commando. So annoying.
It's a problem for me because of the latency.

Well steam update says nothing about MW2, but I played all night long and I did not run into another doing obvious hacks. Also played a game of domination and the other team was almost all running dual 18's and I was able to survive most of the time.

I also tried the dual 18's and the range is reduced to about 75% of the range as before and the spread seems to be increased as most kills took both barrels instead of the standard 1. Looks like the spaz is going to become popular.

I hate people who run around knifing with lightweight, marathon, and commando. So annoying.

Lol, I was just about to add that as my favorite setup!! Chances are though that you are getting pissed more by those people using the care package nade exploit to run around even faster.

1.My 'Run & Gun' class (good for Favela if your eyes can keep up as you leap across the rooftops):
-Vector red dot
-G18 Akimbo, although a tactical Magnum or M9 here does make sense as well
-Marathon Pro
-Lightweight Pro
-Commando Pro
This class is just so fun, but take in how you use it. On a quiet map (Mansion in particular) people will hear you running, so its best to keep running around them and confuse them so they dont know when and from where you are coming. A good ping is also very important. Do the whole 'ping bar mod' if you havent already.

2. My 'Explosive' class (noob tuber, good for dealing lots of explosive damage for when the enemy is spawn camping or pinned):
-Assault Rifle (ACR or SCAR-H are faves, but similar to my G3 addiction in CoD4, the FAL is also a favorite of mine here), the exact type isnt important as long as it has the grenade launcher.
-Javelin Launcher
-Frag Nades
-Scavenger Pro
-Danger Close Pro
-3rd perk is open... Sit Rep is often very handy though since you can see through walls as to where the campers w/ claymores are hiding. If you dont encounter alot of this, then commando or steady aim are the best by default. Scrambler and Last Stand are total wastes IMO.

This class allows you to keep the noob toob supplied with ammo thanks to scavenger, and while you are at it, launching javelin's off here & there randomly even really messes with them if nothing else. The extra explosive damage of Danger Close turns the Javelin into a very nasty weapon, even for those in buildings. If on a map w/ alot of bunkers or mostly indoors (terminal for example, although if you clear out the glass and practice, using those skylights to launch out of and into is very effective), then pick another backup... RPG or something.

3. The 'You sneaky Bastard' Class (because thats what I get called when I use it):
-UMP or vector w/ silencer (or rifle w/ silencer if you prefer), also a good sniper rifle kit, but I prefer the FAL to the EBR even. Still, an EBR or WA2000 w/ silencer and heartbeat sensor would work well here.
-Raffica w/silencer, M9 tactical knife (I would suggest silence, but depending on your primary choice, silence might be pointless once your 'found out', so akimbo 1887's are a good pick here as well)
-Bling Pro (dual silenced rafficas anyone? akimbo's silenced G18's are nasty and nice too. The main point though is that the other perk 1's arent as needed if you are 'going silent'. You aren't running and gunning, so sleight of hand isnt needed, and you arent dumping ammo so scavenger is pointless too. Marathon is great, but this class isnt for sprinting... so bling actually makes sense here. Put a heartbeat sensor on that rifle. When everyone is camping and silent... well...
-Cold Blooded (goes without saying)
-Ninja Pro (although, if you are sneaking around alot, you shouldnt be making alot of noise, and as a more offensive pick Sit RepPro here can work wonders by letting you sniff out the campers with their C4 and claymores as well as hear them sneaking around alot easier).

4. The 'Dominator' (when you are the host or your ping is good and you practice your fast draw skills)
-FN-FAL w/ red dot or even ACOG on certain maps
-Akimbo G18's, Akimbo Magnums, Raffica, or even a shotty if it suits you...
-Sleight of Hand Pro (keep the ammo coming and bring up sights faster)
-Stopping Power
-Steady Aim

This is for those who figured out the G3 was the best weapon in CoD4 if you practiced with it enough. The FAL isnt quite as nice IMO, but close. With stopping power, one to two shots is all you need to drop someone, and if you learn to fan your mouse buttons (fast tapping), it will shoot as fast as the full autos... but the damage and accuracy are unmatched (too bad you cant unscope a sniper rifle!). Move slow, watch your angles, and dont worry if they know where you are... you can pick their heads off at a distance faster than their stream of bullets gets close to you. Practice accuracy, make sure your ping is good, etc.

5. 'That mother f*@Cer!' kit (some consider the 1887's as bad or worse than the noob toob, also good for when playing on a substandard connection... then again, w/o dedicated servers, this is always true of MW2):
-MP5? Vector w/ rapid fire... for the most part, the primary doesnt matter as long as its light.
-1887's Akimbo (this shotty has range, more stopping power at range than most shotties, a smaller spread than most shotties, but in akimbo it doesnt matter and aiming is sort of a joke). If you dont need the range, you can also do dual Ranger Akimbo.
-Marathon Pro
-Lightweight Pro
-Steady aim (since with Akimbo, you arent going to be bringing up sights, but if you prefer close combat anyways, perhaps commando is better here since it will allow you to knife as a backup for when you are reloading the 1887's).

Sort of like #1, but this class is almost 'cheap'. Dual 1887's are 'instagib' weapons and at a pretty devent range. Just dont get your butt caught out in the open, and you are a nightmare. When it comes to running around and 'fast draw' rounds on small maps, this kit kills fastest, even faster than dual G18's. Develop timing for how you will pick someone off, then go around a corner to reload fast, then pop back up right away, etc... OR, rather than run around so much you can swap out marathon for sleight of hand which makes the Rangers in particular very fast to reload (as well as akimbo magnums FWIW) and deadly to weild.

Killstreak:
If you are going for a nuke, then:
-predator
-harrier
-nuke

or
-predator
-pave low
-nuke

If not, get
-care package
-sentry
-emergency airdrop

I like AC-130 or chopper gunner SOMETIMES, but I often find the AI to do a well enough job of pinning the enemy or distracting them long enough for me to sneak behind them and kill em off that way. For me, its more about the perception that they cant run outside but that they stop moving while they wait. On some maps, the AI kills faster than you can anyways... not to mention, it leaves you vulnerable.

Last edited:

Definitely. It's far too easy to take this approach. Ninja Pro, Marathon knifing knobs everywhere. Ruins the game to the degree where I'll leave and try another game.

For Free-For-All games I tend to use Marathon - Hardline (or stopping power depending on map) and Ninja Pro. I'm consistently coming top and virtually never out of the top 3 (I have been accused of cheating twice - I take it as a compliment!).

Weapon of choice was the M4 but now it's the Scar-H with Holo, great for accuracy. I couple this up with a Stinger or Javelin and always take down enemy aircraft at the first opportunity.

On the smaller levels I'll use akimbo magnums and this is very effective with ninja, marathon etc but I'm not using it as much as I can see that it's overpowered and must be annoying to other players.

I also never camp, you will die against good players if you stop moving.

Also a good set of headphones is essential, it almost becomes second nature to listen out for players and tracking footsteps is often fruitful.

Use jump when entering rooms and always strafe when combating opponents face on!

Equipment I use Claymores more often that not, and place then in tight corridors or dark places. Tactical insertion is very useful for the larger maps.

To break it down my normal FFA set-up is this

Primary - Scar-H with Holographic Sight
Secondary -Stinger
Grenade - Stun
Equipment - Claymore
Perk 1 - Marathon
Perk 2 - Hardline
Perk 3 - Ninja Pro
Detah Streak - Martyrdom

As for care packages I use UAV a lot, with random drop Care Packages and Harrier. Seems to work well

I've have to say I've really enjoyed the game over the 3 week Xmas break. Played 70 hours and got up to level 65. I'm not sure if this is fast or slow progress? , but I seem to be getting plenty of rewards still. Kills are 5650 Deaths - 4600. It's only since reaching level 40 that I started to move my ratio into a positive. The game was tough going up until then and joining the game late after release didn't help. IWNet did a very poor job of pitting me with similarly skilled players.

IWNet is undoubtedly weak, not being able to select maps or lobbies is criminal. I'm getting tired of being placed in games half or nearly over and often have problems connecting to games (even though NAT is open). The lack of kicking for cheaters is also a bugbear as is lag which is another game ruiner

Last edited:
My favorite that I like to use now is tactical nuke. I've got to use it five times thus far.

As far as weapons, I like the AK best, even though it took a loooong time to get it, and Scar. Starting to like the Famas more. Only thing I hate is the shield. Definitely is a good tactical weapon and can be a bit troublesome to deal with those guys in close quarters. That is why I always carry a sticky grenade.

my hands-down favorite "equipment" to use is the throwing knife. it's not nearly as useful as semtex or C4, and i don't get nearly as many kills, but it is sooo satisfying when i do get a kill. i've started to master it - hitting 2nd floor snipers through a window from ground level and several yards back, etc.

a ton of fun :D

First Ground War game I got into yesterday had 2 aimbotters. Dudes with RPD's standing still and headshotting everyone within range. At the end of the match, they started talking down to the team that lost. I honestly don't understand cheaters.

Read up in another forum that Ground War is usually where all the hackers show up. Needless to say, I'm sticking with TDM for now.

On the recommendation to try out the Vector in this thread, this happened. :p

Very nice weapon with increased fire rate and red dot

mw2wy.jpg

Akimbo MP5K with rapid fire.
Akimbo Rafficas with FMJ.
Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim Pro

Extremely nice in close-quarters. Pretty much one tap of both mouse buttons and they're dead.
Has decent range as well when you need it.

Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim Pro

Extremely nice in close-quarters. Pretty much one tap of both mouse buttons and they're dead.

Cool, I'll work on getting akimbo MP5K and Rafficas tonight and give it a go. Sounds like a good set-up for Skidrow & Favela

I've been doin the Vector / Raffica combo for the last couple of days -
been hooked on that.

my MW2 strategy was not buying the game, lol

great success!

I tried that for about two months, but it became too difficult!

I usually play TDM, S&D or FFA, all non-hardcore which I never liked in COD4.

On all but the biggest maps (Wasteland/Estate) I go:

Vector with Holographic
G18 with red dot
Frag / 2x flash

Slight of hand pro
Stopping power
Steady aim pro

UAV/Predator/Heli

I have only had the game a week and am at level 31, so may change later on...

Already wanting some new maps, oh and dedicated servers wouldnt be too bad either :)

I love silencers and feel it's a huge advantage.

I also really like slight of hand pro as the small difference in aiming time can make a huge difference.

ACR/HBAR/M21 Silenced sometimes with ACOG or FMJ
Model 1887 Akimbo/FMJ
Bling Pro or Slight of Hand Pro
Stopping Power
Commando

currently:

class 1: mostly smaller maps like scrapyard, skidrow, and highrise
M4 + grenade launcher
akimbo Glock 18
Semtex
2x flashbang
Sleight of hand pro
Danger Close
Last stand

Class 2: The favella, karachi class
Vector rapidfire
Akimbo Glock 18
Semtex
2x Flashbang
Sleight of hand pro
Lightweight Pro
Last Stand

Class 3: Quarry, terminal, underpass.
ACR + grenade launcher
M9 with FMJ
Semtex
2x Flashbang
Sleight of hand pro
Danger close
Last stand

Class 4: The alternate small map class. karachi and skidrow, mostly
Akimbo UZI
Akimbo Glock 18
Semtex
2x Flashbang
Marathon Pro
Lightweight
Ninja pro

Class 5: the wasteland, afghan, and derail class
ACR + grenade launcher
Javalin
Semtex
2x flashbang
sleight of hand pro
danger close
last stand

what i find works best is that on small maps (scrapyard, skidrow, highrise), fast firing and fast reloading is essential, since you hit and run is the tactic that works best. for medium maps (terminal, favella, karachi), you want to keep your distance a bit more. the grenade launcher lets you fight from farther, and the ACR puts down those enemies before they can get close enough. On the large and open maps like afghan and wasteland, the javalin will get you a surprising number of kills.

underpass is an exception; it's a large map, but it's divided into 4 basic parts: the back alley, the building in the middle, the underpass + the house on that side, and the large buildings + parking lot. it works like 4 small maps.

Terminal is also like this: you have your outside, burgertown, bookstore, and dutyfree. it's usually more divided into the 2 passages between burgertown and the duty free, and for that, the grenade launcher is best. it's too close for the javalin, though.

Marathon/Sleight of Hand
Lightweight/Cold-blooded/Stopping-power
Ninja Pro

Perk 1 depends on whether I need to run long distances (marathon), or if it's compact CQB, in which case I need the fast ADS and the fast reload.

Perk 2 depends on the map. A map with long distances may need stopping power to make up for shooting beyond the gun's effective range. A stealth map like Estate calls for Cold-blooded. A map with a lot of running around like Afgan/estate needs lightweight. A silencer reduces the need for cold-blooded.

Perk 3 is Ninja Pro because everybody and his brother will be leaping up your ass everytime you take one step without it. The majority of players use it, meaning that if you don't, you're the only footsteps they can hear, and everybody will be hunting your ass down. If you crouchwalk to hide your footsteps, then you're too slow to chase any enemies down plus you're exposed to being chased down for attacks from the rear...by people who don't make footstep sounds. Really wish this perk was removed from the game since it's popularity reduces the value of situational awareness in this game. I'm not too fond of having a radar either. Players should be managing their awareness and visibility profile through manual playstyle instead of perks.

As for the weapon, I'll take either Scar-H HBS or FAL HBS depending on map size. I haven't found any of the scope attachments to be particularly useful in aiming since the iron sights are already thin enough. HBS at least points you in the general direction of an enemy so you're not wandering aimlessly.

Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim Pro

The MP5K is great with rapid fire.

Won 5-6 FFA games last night with a single MP5K. I used it with Marathon Pro, Stopping Power Pro and Ninja Pro, potent set-up close up. As you say tap mouse button and +50 ;) I'm a constant mover, so that's why I go with Marathon and NP. This set-up is great for countering knifing knobs too, very satifying taking them down before they get close enough

I've been using the Scar for weeks and I got good with it at close quarters but no comparision to a light machine gun at that range

Thanks for the recommendation, the change of weapons is really helping moving up quickly in XP / rank.

Last edited:
Is it just me or am i the only one who uses the TAR-21? But anyways heres my FFA class

TAR-21 w/ Extended Mags
Dual G18's

Marathon Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

The only cure for this blight is to run around with dual shotties in your hands. And you know what dual shotties I mean. ;)

damn ACOG on Terminal ? too small a map for me for ACOG ...

though the ACOG in MW2 is farrrr better than the ACOG in MW1 IMO.

Terminal is a deceptive map, IMO. it looks like it should be cramped but it's actually a bunch of long corridors...with the occasional area that requires CQC.

I agree 100% about the ACOG - it's much better in MW2.

one of my favorite setups right now is M16 / ACOG / Sleight of Hand Pro

you can quick-snipe with that setup with the added bonus of 3 round burst...

Is it just me or am i the only one who uses the TAR-21? But anyways heres my FFA class

TAR-21 w/ Extended Mags
Dual G18's

Marathon Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

No, the TAR-21 is great. Got 1000 kills with it. Powerful weapon. Haven't got the FMJ penetration kills though for ext mags

MP, SPP and NP is the way I play too.

The TAR-21 is great because it's red dot sight doesn't go out during EMP and the heartbeat sensor is still visible when aiming down sight. It's a pretty good weapon if you can manage it's recoil. Has great stopping power.

I highly recommend everyone who is trying to level up to get the AK to try the RPD. the way it fires and handles is almost identical. You don't run as fast with the RPD, and it takes longer to bring up the sights, and it takes longer to reload, but you get a hell of a lot more ammo, and you can get the grip for it, which makes it much, much, much more accurate.

It's actually pretty good.

I prefer the AUG over the RPD. The AUG + grip + Stopping Power is absolutely lethal. However, with an LMG, I find that Sleight of Hand Pro is absolutely essential. Normally I prefer Marathon or Bling for Perk 1, but the slow reload and aiming on LMGs make them very irritating without Sleight of Hand.

I find the only weapons really worth using Akimbo with are these:
#1 G18's Just nasty. They spray so much and so fast even at a distance they still mow down.
#2 1887's. Many thought these were too unfair... sorta. Sure, it was an instagib combo, and given this shotty's greater range over the rest... yeah, I sorta agree. But I think they patched its range down some now, so its no longer the #1 'cheapo' weapon like tubing. The tough part is that you have to pick between lightweight and sleight of hand... this really comes down to tactics and the map... lightweight if you can keep ducking around corners long enough between 'run by assaults'... or if speed isnt as important or you aren't able to space out your attacks on enemies to allow for longer reloads... then sleight of hand.
#3 Rangers. Best with sleight of hand, but then you cant do the marathon/lightweight combo that pretty much turns you into the scout from TF2. As long as you can move in fast enough, these are more deadly than the 1887's Akimbo'ed.
#4 Magnums. Also a good idea to take sleight of hand with, but they give you enough shots that its not always needed.

I really find most of the SMG's rather pointless in Akimbo. The MP5's are okay because they do spray alot, but this also means its harder to kill up close due to the lack of being able to aim as many bullets & damage at the enemy compared to just one or two shotty shells. Dual Vectors is hard because they tend to form two 'beams' of fire, and it usually means that while you might hit an enemy with one, you are missing with the other due to a 'lack' of spray, or 'overlap in fire arcs'. Same for the UZIs. The UMP45's are perhaps the best because they do have a heavy enough punch to drop someone at close range without needing half the clip to hit like with the MP5... but their 'spray arcs' are wide enough so your targest get a good combo from both barrels. The other problem I have is that these SMG's are also decent medium range weapons when not in Akimbo, and taking away that ability to 'aim up' with these guns really kills their strong points more than Akimbo is worth IMO.

Just run around rooftops with lightweight/marathon/commando (all pro) and dual G18's and tell me it isnt sick.

The only thing sicker is a tactical magnum.

I prefer the AUG over the RPD. The AUG + grip + Stopping Power is absolutely lethal. However, with an LMG, I find that Sleight of Hand Pro is absolutely essential. Normally I prefer Marathon or Bling for Perk 1, but the slow reload and aiming on LMGs make them very irritating without Sleight of Hand.

The main advantage of the AUG, and somewhat with the the L86 is that without the belt feed, they reload much faster anyways. I know sleight of hand pro is different, but you shouldnt be aiming up and down (run and gun) as much as being slow and methodical in your tactics with the LMG's. As a result, I find sleight of hand rather pointless with the AUG and L86. Scavenger, Bling... those have more merit.

I miss the RPD w/ rapid fire like in CoD4. That was my fave LMG.

I have been seeing a few clan mates going for the 'one man army' option in almost every kit. They lose their first perk and secondary weapon... which makes me scoff at the perk in itself, not to mention the long 'switch time'.... then again... with one man PRO, the change is fast, and it does allow you to switch from Sniper to LMG or SMG... etc... rather fast (about 3 seconds). Its sorta like having 5+ secondary weapons. It also doubles as removing the need for scavenger all together. You can tube, blow through your sniper clips... and rather than have to go find some ammo or another weapon, you can stay put and simply switch back and forth... each time giving you a complete reload in the process. I know a couple guys that constantly get Nukes using this tactic, so Im going to give it a spin soon. It has its merits. You could be a sniper and NEVER have to move, or really shock that guy who charges you by popping back up with a LMG when he gets too close.

My really lame setup:

Scar w/ Grenade Launcher
RPG-7
Frag
Stun

Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Steady Aim Pro

Predator Missile
Harrier Strike
AC-130
Martyrdom

Basically you use Danger Close to increase the lethality of your explosive attacks (i.e. Grenade Launcher, RPG, Frags) and then Danger Close Pro makes it so your killstreaks do a crapton of damage. Scavenger lets you spam said stuff endlessly.

This kit won't make you friends but I bust it out whenever I see campers and 1887 users :).

Scar and Grenade Launcher combo gets me in trouble, lots of noob tube haters out there

Scar and Grenade Launcher combo gets me in trouble, lots of noob tube haters out there

ooh. SCAR + noobtoob is a pretty hated combo.
shoot - in Hardcore, SCAR can be a one-shot kill...
add to that the super easy iron sights and you have what the P90 was to CoD4...
this is now the new noob gun.

add to THAT - a grenade launcher and you've got one potent and extremely hated combo

ooh. SCAR + noobtoob is a pretty hated combo.
shoot - in Hardcore, SCAR can be a one-shot kill...
add to that the super easy iron sights and you have what the P90 was to CoD4...
this is now the new noob gun.

add to THAT - a grenade launcher and you've got one potent and extremely hated combo

I only played Hardcore a few times when I was a noob and man they made me feel unwelcome. I should go back and teach them a lesson now I've improved. But yeah, SCAR-H is potent. Makes a good ranged weapon too

Out of interest what is everyones rank? And kills to death numbers.

Kills - around 10000
Deaths around 7900!

I'm currently Prestige 1 + 35 second time around. There are 10 Prestige ranks as here.

Modern-Warfare-2-Prestige-Icons-page1.jpg

Theoretically the quickest you can get to 10 is after 380hrs! But most take 500 - 600 hrs!

Last edited:
I only played Hardcore a few times when I was a noob and man they made me feel unwelcome. I should go back and teach them a lesson now I've improved. But yeah, SCAR-H is potent. Makes a good ranged weapon too

Out of interest what is everyones rank?

I'm currently Prestige 1 + 35 second time around. There are 10 Prestige ranks as here.
Modern-Warfare-2-Prestige-Icons-page1.jpg

Theoretically the quickest you can get to 10 is after 380hrs! But most take 500 - 600 hrs!

Wow, I had no idea about that. I played against a lvl 10 last night. That's worse than my WoW /played time.

Wow, I had no idea about that. I played against a lvl 10 last night. That's worse than my WoW /played time.

Most level 10 Prestige players are rank hackers atm (not surprising as 600 hrs is 25 solid days without a break and the game hasn't been out that long), the only real way to tell is if they have a playtime +380 hours minimum under their Steam account, if less no way Jose. I have only encountered 2 real level 10s so far.

I wondered what all the different Emblems were, so I looked it up. I didn't realise there were 10 ranks either till a few days ago. I'm surprised how rubbish some level 2 - 3 Prestige's are! Quality not quantity as they say

Last edited:
Back