• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Must have Lens

Keytronic

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
249
18-200 MM ( I currently have )
50mm 1.8 ( getting )

What other lens are good lens that should have a good extra telephoto / wide angle ?

Please give me some input greatly appreciated

Yeah sorry i'm currently shooting a Nikon D70s ( edit per posts )
 
Depends on what camera you have, and how much you want to spend. I would say the tokina 12-24 for wide angle
24-105L f/4 IS or 24-70L f/2.8 for general zoom
70-200L IS or just L 2.8 or 100-400mm 4.5 L for telezoom

:D

Or a bunch of primes :)
 
he's shooting nikon :p

disclaimer: all these are IMO

Nikon 50 1.8
Nikon 85 1.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR
Nikon 80-400 VR
Nikon 300 either f4, or f2.8 depending on how dark your shooting in...
Nikon 12-24 if you need the really wide angle on a DSLR.

but personally, I'd be happy with:
a wide angle of any speed (since I would use flash with it)
50 1.8
85 1.8
70-200VR

I'd be all set then :p
 
The 12-24 looks decent might play around with it save up a few bucks and get that for the next one after the 50mm

I can see it now this is going to be a expensive hobby ( haha )
 
As usual it depends on what you think your going to be shooting. I bought a 50mm F/1.8 'cause everyone said you have to have one and I don't think I've ever shot a single frame through it except to test or reversed on another lens.

These recommendations are from my shooting style (i.e. nature photography):

For wide angle, I understand the Tokina 12-24 f/4 is your best "bang-for-buck" (I have the Nikkor, myself).

If you think you are interested in getting into macro, the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 is a very popular choice.

The Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR is a great "walkaround" long zoom. Keep in mind though that it is screwdriver driven and slower to focus than the AFS lenses. An alternative might be the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 (I've never shot one myself but there are a lot of happy owners).



My own "wish list"?

- Nikkor 200-400 f/4 VR
- PB-6 bellows

My current gear
 
I shoot basically anything - scenery, nature, maybe people if I have some incentive to do so.

Current lenses:
18-70/3.5-4.5 Nikkor
50 mm/1.8
80-200/2.8

Stuff I desire:
Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR (on the backburner)
Nikkor 105/2.8 mm Micro or maybe Sigma 150/2.8 Macro
Nikkor 85/1.8
Nikkor 135/2.0 DC
Some ultra wide - probably a 14mm/2.8 prime
300mm/2.8 AF-S
 
I shoot Canon, but I'm sure there are comparable Nikkon mount lenses. Anyway, I take a lot of indoor people photos, and some outdoor landscape/scenery stuff.

Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5
Canon 24-70 f/2.8
Canon 70-200 f/4
Sigma 30 f/1.4

The 24-70 is on my camera most of the time. The 30 gets mostly indoor use, and the 10-22 and 70-200 are for when I'm outside
 
was looking around and put a bid on a lens on ebay it's new in box it's a Tamron AF19-35mm F/3.5-4.5
 
Why? You already have a variable aperture within that range.
 
For canon, i think a good must have for amatures is the Canon17-40mm F4 USM L paired with a 70-200mm L (if you got bucks the f2.8 version or the IS version)
 
BTW: im still looking for the rihgt glass to fill in the gap between the 17-40 and the 70-200
 
mmm, but i really really like the 17-40... its a very good lens, paired with a speedlight its my fav househoold lens.
 
For me it would be the Nikor 600mm f/4 if I remember right. But I cant justify spending close to $9K on a single lense. Well unless anyone can give me a really good reason to get one? ;)
 
Joves said:
For me it would be the Nikor 600mm f/4 if I remember right. But I cant justify spending close to $9K on a single lense. Well unless anyone can give me a really good reason to get one? ;)
The HOT MILF down the street ;)
 
Back
Top