Music skipping with LITE multitasking

apHytHiaTe

2[H]4U
My buddy has a Dimesion 2400 with integrated audio (Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio). He has 512 megs of ram and Im guessing a processor of more than 2.4 gigahertz. When he surfs the web, his music skips.

We tried reinstalling drivers. Another fix I've heard of is disabling the page file. He'd need a bit more (256m more) memory to be able to run without a page file.

One culprit could be the super resource hogging McAfee AV he has. Could it's memory hogging cause the sound to skip?

Yup, I went throught the same thing last week with out landlord's Dimension 2400
Once I removed Mcafee and the 14 other crap programs from the startup folder the audio stopped skipping.

BTW no matter how much ram the machine has disabling the page file ain't gonna do nothing.

Yeah, its best to leave the page file.. My home built PC used a AC'97 Audio codec, and I had to use a wireless card to use the internet. My music skipped CONSTANTLY. After I purchased a new Motherboard, thinknig this was the reason, I also switched to another Ethernet-to-Wireless Bridge thingie. Then the skipping was gone. So does your friend use a wireless PCI Card?

apHytHiaTe said:
We tried reinstalling drivers. Another fix I've heard of is disabling the page file. He'd need a bit more (256m more) memory to be able to run without a page file.

Yeah, right. Disabling the page file is never a good idea, but even if you wanted to, 768MB is nowhere near enough to.

Leowjb said:
Yeah, its best to leave the page file.. My home built PC used a AC'97 Audio codec, and I had to use a wireless card to use the internet. My music skipped CONSTANTLY. After I purchased a new Motherboard, thinknig this was the reason, I also switched to another Ethernet-to-Wireless Bridge thingie. Then the skipping was gone. So does your friend use a wireless PCI Card?

I know this is thread revival, but i started teh thread and forgot about it.

Yes he does use a wireless card. Ironic, eh? Probably a poorly shielded soundcard or some such.

One possible problem could be because you set the music priority too high. That happens on winamp for instance if on ultra high priority and you do anything else (unless your rig is really speedy).

Back