Music player?

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you guys feel is the best audio player for Linux? I've been using Foobar for windows and I like the recognizability as well as the support for numerous formats. What do you guys recommend?

Depends on what you want from it.
XMMS is more or less a winamp2 clone. Perfectly fine if you just want to play some files.
I lik e amarok, which is an itunes-esque affair. You can detach a separate player window from it if you like.

There is probably a middle ground in features, but I haven't ventured into it. :)

Seriously compared to foobar I haven't found anything that comes close to it on linux, and I really wish there was.

Amarok however is great music player.

Xmms does work fine but it is nothing special. Looks kind of generic even with skins or themes. Just does not feel nice like Winamp or Foobar. :(

I know xmms is unmaintained, but I've been using it for years and it does exactly what I need. Yeah, audacious and bmp are better, but I still like xmms.

XMMS was a very good player back in the day. It uses GTK1.x
bmp came along and moved it to GTK2
equally Audacious did a similar thing

XMMS is no longer dev'ed but XMM2 is in fast dev
bmp is no longer in dev, bmpx is (I like)
Audacious is still supported for the old-way

I use either BMP (Beep Media Player) or XMMS on my laptop. I only stream internet radio and play a few MP3's while at school so they both suit my needs.

mpg321 and cplay are good. I also use bmpx, although it is kinda buggy.

If you just want a music player (no video files) use XMMS. If you want it all I recommend grabbing VLC.

I use xmms and/or amarok...

depending on if i'm on my desktop or laptop.

EDIT: Someone confused me. I meant I use XMMS/Rhythmbox.

no kde for me.

I use Amarok at home, and XMMS at work. I have also run Foobar through WINE. Seemed to work fine.

Why use anything other than Amarok? How else am I going to keep track of 35000 files?

Clockwork said:
Why use anything other than Amarok? How else am I going to keep track of 35000 files?

because I would rather not have QT/KDE libs installed.
I keep hearing how good Amarok is but there is no GTK equiv.

BMPx and its libary feature is good enough for me

eeyrjmr said:
because I would rather not have QT/KDE libs installed.
I keep hearing how good Amarok is but there is no GTK equiv.

BMPx and its libary feature is good enough for me

Have you tried Rhythmbox? I used to use that extensively before I switched over to Amarok, though I think you at least need Gnome-base installed to use it, not sure.

I mainly use KDE/QT apps, so I didn't mind using Amarok (already have K3B and KDevelop loaded, why not?).

Clockwork said:
Because xmms works and I don't need 90% of the features amarok has.

Frobozz said:
I've never used it (XMMS has been good enough for me) but what about Banshee?

I haven't even heard of banshee.

Looks a lot like rhythmbox.

I'll give it a whirl, though, see what it's like.

I'll report back here when i'm done

I haven't tried amarok so will have to install it. I've been using Kaffeine as it seems to have the most support for file types. But if I'm just playing mp3' s I usually use XMMS, also have RythmBox. There's nothing for Linux like MediaMonkey though which is what I really would like. I don't want a just a player I want something that can organize all my files into categories too, also play Shoutcast radio. RythmBox is a lousy radio player. If I knew how to program I would do it myself, but I don't. Time to learn maybe.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Personally, I use amarok on my linux machines and my osx machine.

I used to use xmms quite a bit, but that was because all I did was stream internet radio -- now that my music collection is getting bigger, amarok is really nice for collection management and tag management, etc.

cudaman73 said:
I'll give it a whirl, though, see what it's like.

I'll report back here when i'm done

Banshee broke while installing.

Got it installed, and it won't start.

rhythmbox it is :)

Back