Music Orginization Help

65Kfosta

Weaksauce
Does anyone have a good solution for organizing your music ?

Over the past 10 years I have accumulated around 500gb of music on my computer and im looking for the best way to organize it. I have many duplicates and im just looking for the best way to label organize ect. I really dont want to go back and re-rip all this music just to get itunes to label and organize everything. Preferably i would like it to be in folders by artist at least thats what i would think would be the best way to do it.

Thanks

Kyle

Last edited:
I detest iTunes for a variety of reasons... I love MediaMoneky for even more reasons. It's got a whole bunch of useful features as far as organization goes, check out the free version.

The way I've got my stuff set up is I rip CDs (old or new, almost done w/my old ones, been goin thru them over the last 2-3 months) w/EAC, mostly because I'm anal about it and had some damaged ones (otherwise MM will rip 'em just fine), and I use MM to add album art... MM works much better for that than iTunes ever has, it looks CDs and tracks up on Amazon's database which seems more comprehensive than anything else out there.

I've got MM set up so it doesn't touch the directory where my ripped CDs are (since EAC already puts them into artist/album directories), but it'll auto-organize my downloads/online purchases folder... I've actually set it so that it dumps all those files into a common directory (since if I buy a song online it's because I'm only buying one or two tracks from that CD or artist).

I'm also using the filters function to keep two semi-distinct collections organized w/o having to actually think about it.... All my CDs are ripped to FLAC, and I use MM to convert those FLAC files to MP3 for my iPod, phone, etc. With the filters function (you can filter by almost any category, file type, directory, tags, etc.) I see only my MP3 converted files -and- my downloads when I'm sync'ing stuff to a portable device, and only the FLAC files -and- my downloads (regardless of the fact that they're MP3s) when I'm playing music on the PC.

There's a duplicate finding tool, a great deal of control over the directory structure MM uses to auto-organize stuff (and what it will and won't auto-organize), etc. Despite all that flexibility it's really simple to use, no scripts (altho there's also some script functionality) or weird commands, it's all thu the GUI and the help files are very well written. The support boards are great too. Highly recommended.

Back