Multi-rail PSU question

Spewn

2[H]4U
Ok, so it's been a while since I bought a new PSU, and the last one I bought was single rail.

The box for my 9800gtx+ says it needs a psu with at least 26a on the 12v rail. PSU I've got coming is dual-rail, 16a each. Do I need to hook each rail into a dual-molex ->6-pin pcie adapter so the card is powered by both rails? Or is that 26a rating based on the system as a whole?

First of all, the 26A rating is for the entire system. And a video card should always be powered from a single rail to avoid voltage and power discrepancies.

Which PSU do you have coming? 16A per rail on two 12V rails is not a whole lot of power, so I suggest you let us tell you if it's a good PSU or not before you actually start hooking things up.

Coolermaster extreme 550. I figured the 26a was for the whole system, but there was no mention of how much for just the card.

16Ax 2 12v rails isn't alot for what, though?

For starters, it's not a lot for a 550W PSU. That means that only 70% of its total output is on the 12V rails, whereas most quality modern PSUs have 90% or more on the 12V rail/rails. However, although it's a mediocre PSU, it should be fine for your system. I wouldn't go crazy with any upgrades though.

Looking at other models after reading a bit about Logisys psu's. Silverstone, OCZ are about the only other two available(in stock...). Similar specs. Leaning towards the Silverstone.

Back