Multi-function panel problems?

kcar711

n00b
I'm about to build my first computer and am planning on putting an AeroCool PowerWatch multi-function display in it. My case of choice is Cooler Master Centurion 532. My concern is that since the case has a tool-less drive installation setup, would the display lock securely in place because of its shorter sides. I was wondering if anyone might have installed something similar in a tool-less case and could tell me how that went.

Usually there are still screw holes you can use even on tooless cases so I don't think you'll have issue. I just did an install on a Coolermaster 534 this past weekend and while I wasn't adding a bay device as you mentioned I don't think it would be a problem in the 534 at least.

This may help you some. There are screw holes on one side at least so at the very least you can screw it in on one side.

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/centurion532_5

My case (Gigabyte 3d Aurora) only has screw holes on one side also. I am thinking about getting a Scyth Kama Bay and I have the same worries. I could always drill some more holes on the other side but it will be very hard to get them in the right place. One way or another I will find a way to get it to work.

Try e-mailing their customer service for some better pictures/dimensions of the case/screw holes at Coolermaster. You may want to mention the device in question as they may have had some experience or inquiries.

kcar711 said:
I didn't realize there were possible screw holes on the other side. I did some hunting and got the dimensions of the display. It's 2.8" deep making it an off depth for screw hole placement.

Here is a picture of the side of the display for reference...

http://hi-techreviews.com/reviews_2006/Powerwatch/P7110147.JPG

That looks like it will work just fine. You will still have four points of fastening so it should be just fine.

Met-AL said:
That looks like it will work just fine. You will still have four points of fastening so it should be just fine.
If he has screw holes on the right side of his case. this is the exact reason i dont like all the tooless crap, it just isn't compatible with everything, so you either have to remove it, Like I did with my PCI tooless features or do some creative modding to get things to work. I wouldn't mind it if it would work without problems with everything.

Diablo2K said:
If he has screw holes on the right side of his case. this is the exact reason i dont like all the tooless crap, it just isn't compatible with everything, so you either have to remove it, Like I did with my PCI tooless features or do some creative modding to get things to work. I wouldn't mind it if it would work without problems with everything.

Did I miss something with his picture? Because to me, it looks like that thing is two drive bays tall and he shouldn't have to mod anything to get it to work.

I have one of Mashie's MDVA's in my 2 front bays... Held in by two of the "toolless mounts" on one side. It's totally secure... Granted, it's not your case, but no toolless rack is substantially different from another...

You'll be fine.

Met-AL said:
Did I miss something with his picture? Because to me, it looks like that thing is two drive bays tall and he shouldn't have to mod anything to get it to work.

The problem is not the Height, its that tooless Drivebays dont have any way of holding it securly, there only good for CD-roms and other items the fit all the way into the drive bay. My case does not have screw holes on the right side of the case, so if you go hitting a button on the right side of the multifunction panel it will get pushed in as nothing is holding it steady.

I think it will be ok since it will be held by two points on each side.

Met-AL said:
I think it will be ok since it will be held by two points on each side.
Ummm, are you missing something, theres no holes on the right side of the case!!!!!!! that means theres nothing to hold it on the right side!!!!!!!!!!
THE CASE DOES NOT HAVE SCREW HOLES ON THE RIGHT SIDE!

Diablo2K said:
Ummm, are you missing something, theres no holes on the right side of the case!!!!!!! that means theres nothing to hold it on the right side!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?? I could have sworn my Centurion has tooless fasteners on both sides. Junk I tell ya!!

EDIT: Well then if I was the OP, what I would do is to take that display, put a couple of pea size drops of some silicon sealant on each sides and slide it in and let it set up. Works rather well, it will hold the display nice and firm, but can be removed and cleaned up if needed as the silicon can be pealed off real easy.

The case only has the tool less fasteners one one side of the drive bays but there are screw holes on the opposite side of the bays.

Diablo2K said:
Wow, holy shit. What an overreaction. What's so hard about drilling a couple holes?

Opposable thumbs. Use them to modify your environment to suit you.

oh and my thanks to the OP, for bringing to my attention a kick-ass panel which will work beautifully in my planned F-86 Saberjet -themed PC project.

Back