Multi-function Laser Printer Recommendations?

EchtoGammut

2[H]4U
I need to pick up a new MF Laser printer for my home office, preferably color. Budget is under $750. It doesn't need fax functionality, but definitely must be wireless. So far looking at:
Canon ImageClass MF644CDW (cheap and seems to do the job, but my experience with Canon drivers and software makes me hesitant to consider them)
Brother MFC-L3770CDW (I've had good experience with Brother, I have desktop laser that's run for 20+ years. From some of the reviews it appears to calculate toner use by page count rather than a sensor, which sounds annoying)
I'm not sure if HP should be on the list because their non-enterprise printers have become more about bloated crapware that reports to HP everything you do, than being a printer.
Kyocera, Lanier, Ricoh, Xerox? - I don't mind spending extra money on gear that is intended for business use and has more basic software.

I like Brother. Just bought the L3290CDW. Solid printer so far. Only thing I wish it had was a multi page scanner feed but for 279$ shipped to my door, this was my best option for a solid Color laser in my budget that have quality after market color toner cartridges.

Should note I had a BW MFC that was sold for 7 years. My parents had that same MFC without issues as well. Till brother steers me wrong I will continue to use at home

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with Canon (inkjet or laser). My current is the MF445dw. It's monochrome laser and only cost $250 shipped from B&H.

So 1 for Brother 1 for Canon. I guess, it's a bit of a flip of a coin or maybe just what is currently in stock.

I have used Brother several times in the past with good luck, though never a MFC. One of our color lasers at work is a Brother. I would lean towards them. Canon makes great products as well, so you probably can't go wrong either way. I personally have a few Linux machines and HP and Brother work a lot on Linux drivers so that's my only reason.

I have an HP laser here at home right now, and honestly it's been awesome. It's a cheap $100 printer, and I've been pretty impressed with it. It has a ton of features for the price, and works great with Linux. Email printing is really nice for working from home and unable to install a printer on a corporate laptop.

cant go wrong with either of those, the canon is a little cheaper to feed when it needs toner.

Thanks, everyone. I ordered the Canon, because it was available from B&H for $80 off MSRP and the generic/OEM toner was widely available. A couple of the systems I looked at, finding replacement toner was a PITA. I couldn't find anyone that had the Brother ins stock or with a definite restock date.

Back