Multi core

dh27

n00b
When given the option for machine ID, I'm given the option of
1-16, shouldn't it just be 1-4?
Quad core Intel 9550
Gigabyte GA PA35 DS3P

You can pick any of those numbers. They are used to identify each client on a machine. If you run a gpu client be sure to pick a different machine ID from the one your SMP client it using.

It's not sensing 16 cores, but I think that is the maximum different units the program can handle at one time. Just choose #1 and you'll have all 4 cores working on the unit. If you had dual processors, you'd run another instance on the other processor with machine ID #2.

Just to be clear, you're saying each core can handle 4 clients? What do you think would be the optimum, performance wise? 1 client per core or 4 per core?

You can pick any of those numbers. They are used to identify each client on a machine. If you run a gpu client be sure to pick a different machine ID from the one your SMP client it using.

I've wondered if that mattered since the CPU and GPU clients are separate programs. I just do it out of habit anyway.

Just to be clear, you're saying each core can handle 4 clients? What do you think would be the optimum, performance wise? 1 client per core or 4 per core?
See your other thread, install the SMP client. I linked our guide in your other thread. :)

Looking at Stanfords problems with the SMP client, I'll wait till they get most of the problems worked out, first.

Looking at Stanfords problems with the SMP client, I'll wait till they get most of the problems worked out, first.
What problems would those be? The SMP client is extremely stable.

Like zero said, there are NO problems with the SMP client.. THOUSANDS of people run it every hour of the day.

Old FAQs are old.

I might suggest our forums as a more up to date and complete place to find info.

If the SMP client wasn't stable, none of us here would be suggesting you run it. Just about all members of our team who can run the SMP client run the SMP client. Like Nike says, "JUST DO IT!"

Back to the original question, every F@H process on your machine should have a unique machine ID. It's a confusing name, and should probably be called "process ID". If you have two clients with the same ID, even if one is CPU and one is GPU, there's a chance for confusion, getting the wrong work, or one of the clients refusing to run. It has nothing to do with the number of CPU cores--those are detected automatically by the SMP client.

For example, if you have a quad-core processor and two graphics cards in SLI, then your SMP client should have machine ID 1, and the two GPU clients should have machine IDs 2 and 3. Or you could make the GPUs 1 and 2 and the SMP client 3. It doesn't matter as long as two clients don't have the same number.

Well, in that case, I'll have to ask ya'll the questions I have.
Does using all the SMP capability slow down other programs?
I'm in the process of upgrading to Win 7, which takes advantage of all my memory,
and has allowed me to use Adobe CS5. I know CS5 sucks resources like there's no
tomorrow, but does anyone know if the client can get along with a program like that?
and still get work done in a timely fashion? And while I'm still dual booting, if work is
not finished in either XP or Win7, does it take it back up in the other OS?

Thanks for all the help. I'm downloading the SMP version and will at least try it.

The client is set to low priority.

If any other program with a higher priority (like normal, as most programs are set) the client SMP or single core, will give up CPU cycles that the program needs.

What Kendrak said. I can game anytime I want with the SMP client running and it doesn't slow me down a bit. Of course the SMP client slows down.

Do I need to do anything special, having already run the other, to change to SMP?

Do I need to do anything special, having already run the other, to change to SMP?
Yes, a couple things.. you will need to add the -smp flag to the shortcut and you'll also want to setup a passkey with Stanford so you will be eligible for bonus points after you complete your first 10 WUs.

As I suggested in your other thread, please read our SMP guide here for details on all of this: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1511766

Just make sure the clients are in different folders.

Follow Zero's guide that is stickied and you'll be good.

There ya go! That SMP guide rocks. Welcome to the [H]orde.

Fold On!

One last question: Any opinions on if this decreases the lifespan of the CPU, memory or motherboard?
My cooling system is tied into the temps of both the processor and/or system so I dont think there will be any degradation there, and being electronic in nature, that is the only possible weak link, IMO.

One last question: Any opinions on if this decreases the lifespan of the CPU, memory or motherboard?
Not really. Just don't exceed any temperatures and you'll be fine.

Just one more, I promise. 13 hours for the first one seem about right?

yep sounds about right.. they range anywhere from 6 hours to a day and half.. just depends on your processor..

Well, now you just made me think of another question. Considering how much faster Win7 is than XP for certain tasks, am I going to see a substantial increase with folding, when I finish the move to Win7?

Oh crap another one, what about the fact I'm moving to Win7 64 bit, changes there?

Well, now you just made me think of another question. Considering how much faster Win7 is than XP for certain tasks, am I going to see a substantial increase with folding, when I finish the move to Win7?

Modest... maybe.

Oh crap another one, what about the fact I'm moving to Win7 64 bit, changes there?

no you wont see much of an increase in performance.. just make sure you keep the windows sidebar off because theres certain gadgets that use way more cpu cycles then what shows up in the task manager..

My cooling system is tied into the temps of both the processor and/or system so I dont think there will be any degradation there, and being electronic in nature, that is the only possible weak link, IMO.

In my experience, folding is hardest on the power supply. Lesser/cheaper PSUs will not last long if you fold on them 24/7.

Back