Multi-Core Goes Mainstream, Computing Pushed to Extremes

HardOCP News

[H] News
Citing the impact of multi- and many-core computing hitting the mainstream and new developments in extreme scale computing as examples, Justin Rattner, Intel's chief technology officer, told an Intel Developer Forum audience that the future of computing is being accelerated.

"Since 2006 Intel and the IA developer community have worked in partnership to realize the potential of multi- and many-core computing, with accelerating impact beyond high-performance computing to solving a wide range of real-world computing problems on clients and servers," Rattner said during his Day 3 keynote in San Francisco. "What we have demonstrated today only scratches the surface of what will be possible with many-core and extreme scale computing systems in the future."

CameronCPU.jpg

Multi-core CPU's just became mainstream?

Someone ought to tell the members of Steam that... :p

The chart says it's Dec 2008-May 2010. The Data is from Aug 2011. So yeah, that picture is over a year out of date compared with the page you linked.

So currently, about only 6% of steam users are using single core.

The chart says it's Dec 2008-May 2010. The Data is from Aug 2011. So yeah, that picture is over a year out of date compared with the page you linked.

So currently, about only 6% of steam users are using single core.
I believe Zara was being sarcastic. That the article makes it like multi-core is just becoming mainstream when the majority of people on Steam were multi-core 3 years ago.

I believe Zara was being sarcastic. That the article makes it like multi-core is just becoming mainstream when the majority of people on Steam were multi-core 3 years ago.

Thank you, that's where I was going :p

....also lets them know if you use P2P.

There are many legitimate uses for P2P programs.

Just the other day I used bit torrent to download a Linux distribution install DVD ISO.

I'm happy to share with Steam that I own a crowbar and a bolt cutter as well. This does not mean I'm a burglar.

Zarathustra[H];1037760530 said:
There are many legitimate uses for P2P programs.

Just the other day I used bit torrent to download a Linux distribution install DVD ISO.

I always see people say there are "many" legit uses, but the only example I ever see is Linux distros. :p

Yes there are many legit uses, but don't kid yourself, most that are using it aren't using it for legit uses.

I would agree with that statement, but seeing that there are legitimate uses, I don't think there is a danger of Valve trying to use this information against us.

What would be funny would be if they started introducing personalized deals on games to people based on the data they have collected about them.

It would be funny to see if people they view as "at risk of pirating" get better deals :p

Back