MSI's N580GTX Lightning XE 3GB Edition

zyzeast

Gawd
msi_n580GTXlightxe_2.jpg

msi_n580GTXlightxe_1.jpg

Do want!

Hmm let's see. Rent? Or video card... Rent.... or Video card.

VIDEO CARD:D

Can't wait to see reviews of it, would be nice to put it against the Phantom.

Extremely Sexy!!!

A 19 Phase VRM along with 3GB of memory. I think this may be the first if not one of the first 3GB cards with serious OC potential thanks to a above average design.

I like the dust removing feature where the fans spin in the opposite direction for 30 seconds during boot up and the fact that the fans change color from blue to white when over 40 degrees. Triple temperature sensors is cool as hell too. With the right price tag this may be the ultimate card for earth shattering gaming rigs this season.

Nice details here too

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/22876-msis-gtx-580-lightning-xe-breaks-cover

dust removal and triple temp sensors are very nice features. i could do without the blue/white fans, but no biggie.

Dust removal feature is nice, but the fan changing color is a complete gimmick. Who bends down and turns their head to look up at a card from beneath to view the color of the fan? Seriously?

Dust removal feature is nice, but the fan changing color is a complete gimmick. Who bends down and turns their head to look up at a card from beneath to view the color of the fan? Seriously?

Seriously! Gesh... U would think they would add some mirrors! Lol... That would be funny... Cant wait.. Maybe someone will get this and actually put mirrors under it

I believe that MSI had designed this GPU fans imagining everyone has got one super Silverstone Raven case at home, or an ITX case like SG07...

Last edited:
They best bench this at high resolutions... lol. I would like to see it compared to the Gainward Phantom definitely though.

Some people don't hide their computers under the desk/inside the cabinet.

Some people think their PC's are "Sexy" or have them in a different orientation.

I agree its a gimmick but it'll sell to those who like it and not really make a difference to those who aren't bothered.

If thats the case then they should get out of the house a little more...only women are "Sexy". :D

Tell me about it.

When my roommate shops for his Computer parts, he puts how it looks over price/performace

/epic facepalm

It would have been nice if all of these 3GB 580s were available 6 months ago... Better late than never I guess.

Man, I was going to get two 6970 lightnings, but I'm thinking of taking some money out of my savings and putting it towards two of these.

But thats a lot of money when kepler supposedly is coming out in Q2 of 2012 I heard.

Man, I was going to get two 6970 lightnings, but I'm thinking of taking some money out of my savings and putting it towards two of these.

But thats a lot of money when kepler supposedly is coming out in Q2 of 2012 I heard.

Q2 of 2012 is not around the corner pal.

Q2 of 2012 is not around the corner pal.

Well the 3 years I had this 4870 went by pretty fast. But thanks that is encouraging me to spend >1000 on video cards :D

Also when might we see these in stock? Computex is June 2nd from what a quick google search said, so maybe a week after? I wanna make sure I have em :)

Last edited:
3-4 reviews have popped up. Seems to be just as great as the original lightning but with way more vram headroom as expected.

I plan on buying two the moment they are on amazon/newegg. Hopefully less than no more than 600 though, in which case I might buy just one for now, even though they are limited edition.

About time there's more than stock cooled 3GB 580GTX's!

Kepler better come like these with the 3GB stock...I think I can wait for Kepler, but if I was stupid rich! These in SLI :D

I hope kepler takes a while so I don't feel terrible about my purchase.

:(

Hahaha... Maybe they used the same technology coors beer uses on theyre new.cans? Blue.cold... White warm/hot... Maybe the fans literally use the same stuff? And it only does blue to white?

Gainward Phantom 3Gb isn't stock cooled :)

Though the stock of this card in the US is 0 i do believe. Overclockers UK have 7 at the moment.

I've read that the phantom is not as quiet as people say it is, and they are sold out everywhere, probably limited edition.

Holy cow! It's like these 2 met in a dream then had a baby which seeped into real life.

Do want!

I don't know, but for some reason uber-high end cards like this one never get me. If I had the money to spend on this, I'd be buying at least two, and with >= $1100 spent on graphics, what am I going to do for displays? At least three 120hz 1080p panels for 3D Surround, and at that point I think three of these would really nail it. But if I had $4000+ spent on something like that I'd be spoiled for life on anything else that I ever tried (well, maybe not 8k, or 33 megapixels :eek:), so in the end I would never buy one of these, and so it's just interesting to read about.

^^^ My $0.02.

EDIT: I challenge Kyle to get some of these in SLI (two or more ;)), so we can really see what the fastest setups of this generation are, boutique or otherwise. :cool:

I never considered these cards either until I saw how easily normal 580's hit the limit on normal resolutions with stock games without mods, I consider myself a power user while recording and editing, so I'm justifying it by saying I'd easily break the 1.5gb limit with mods and graphical hacks, ontop of that two normal 580 are about 950-1000, the extra 250 could be considered for two great coolers, better PWM's, better caps, nicer board and double the ram, the premium starts to lose it's significance when I think of it that way. When Accelero's are like 80 bucks each, the remaining 90 is small considering the extra ram and parts if you some how took a normal 580 and made one of these yourself. So this particular card isn't a significant premium over stock cards atleast.

I'm continuing to try and motivate myself to buy two. I can certainly use them, I basically play games for a living on youtube so they'd come in handy for everything. I have very few expenses and my 4870 is dying. But I'm such a woman when ordering this kind of stuff, so we'll see how I feel when I'm selecting the quantity, hehe. :D

I actually have a single 1080p, but next month or so I'll be getting 30'

I ... I'm continuing to try and motivate myself to buy two. I can certainly use them, I basically play games for a living on youtube so they'd come in handy for everything. I have very few expenses and my 4870 is dying. But I'm such a woman when ordering this kind of stuff, so we'll see how I feel when I'm selecting the quantity, hehe. :D

I actually have a single 1080p, but next month or so I'll be getting 30'

Not bad, not bad. Now i'm complaning my job.

And in this order: first to get your 30" monitor, then the video cards (depreciate much faster).

Gorgeous card, although I think I like Asus's 580 that has buttons on it for voltage/mhz increments (similar to the x58-OC from gigabyte).

Has the Asus 580 been released yet? Also it's a huge triple slot. Not sure that's worth it.

Just my opinion though.

Has the Asus 580 been released yet? Also it's a huge triple slot. Not sure that's worth it.

Just my opinion though.

That ASUS triple slot card looks pointless to me. They reason why you need 3GB is for ultra high resolution gaming, so you must have them SLIed. 6 slots to run two cards back to back? Cooling wise, you're probably better off to just have two well designed 2 slot cards and use up five slots by leaving a space in between the two cards for better airflow.

Back