MSI z97 pc mate + g3258 for 69.99 after $10mir

XmagusX

Limp Gawd
Nice deal for motherboard and proc combo at MicroCenter.

To get the deal, add both to your cart, which should give you a bundle deal of 89.99 with a $10 mir for the motherboard.

retailmenot also has a $10 off $50 purchase coupon generator that's good until mid-March.

Edit: Sorry for the lack of links, on my phone.

Edit2: Links!

http://www.microcenter.com/product/435187/G3258_32_GHz_LGA1150_Boxed_Processor
http://www.microcenter.com/product/433127/Z97_PC_Mate_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
http://instore.thread.co/retailmeno...click_id=F328E395-8FEB-A892-1E1A-72499F72CB4E

Edit 3: Updated coupon generator

http://instore.thread.co/retailmeno...LOKAO6MGUA3MAM&df=JT7N4Y2OEFEMPMH67JRRR6SXGA:

Last edited:
Wow nice man!
In for 1 of each saved me some money getting just an i3.

or not. The site wont let me create an account.

Edit 2:

YAY! I got the pair! Thank you.

Last edited:
Additionally, if you want to use the coupon more than once, simply clear the cookies in your browser and it will generate a new code which should work with the same account. It won't let you use the same code multiple times, but it will let you use this offer multiple times.

God I love this pairing. Although the one I have is sitting still in box. :)

I'll research it later, but any idea on how this combo would compare performance-wise to an i5 2500k 1155 setup?

I'm not expecting an upgrade, but i have 8gb of DDR3, a few SSD's, a powersupply and cases just sitting around so .........

If it were m-atx i would have purchased it already :p

Great deal btw and thanks for sharing OP!

I'll research it later, but any idea on how this combo would compare performance-wise to an i5 2500k 1155 setup?

I'm not expecting an upgrade, but i have 8gb of DDR3, a few SSD's, a powersupply and cases just sitting around so .........

If it were m-atx i would have purchased it already :p

Great deal btw and thanks for sharing OP!
What are you going to be doing with it? Mine eats everything I throw at it except BF4 MP and even then I hover around 50+ FPS for most of the big action (on 64 player maps). Other times I can hit around 85ish and sometimes drop to twenties. But everything else, D3, Dota2, etc. it's awesome.

Nice way to compare, thank you for the link.

What are you going to be doing with it? Mine eats everything I throw at it except BF4 MP and even then I hover around 50+ FPS for most of the big action (on 64 player maps). Other times I can hit around 85ish and sometimes drop to twenties. But everything else, D3, Dota2, etc. it's awesome.
Thank you for replying. That's the whole issue, i have no idea what i would be doing with this rig :/, the $89 is a temptation because this combo is all i need to have another full rig. No gaming btw, if anything it would be a secondary task cruncher, video re-encodes etc etc etc. I'm guessing that would not be this CPU's strength. If it were m-atx then i would stuff it into a small case and find additional uses for it.

I'll probably hold off on this purchase

Got mine yesterday. At [email protected] not sure if I want to try to push it farther. A few hundred mhz shouldn't give me that much of a performance boost but we'll see how much time I want to invest tweaking it further.

SJetski71 -- I'd say pull the trigger, the deal is just insanely good for a solid proc and motherboard. While it lacks VT-d, it does have the rest of the virtualization instructions, so it would make for an excellent hypervisor. Free ESXi is okay, but keeps reducing the feature set with every version, so my recommendation would be either ovirt all-in-one or just vanilla CentOS with kvm.

Barely usable when I start a VM on it. I don't even bother anymore.

I'm sorry, I may be using the wrong terminology. I was just using Windows VM's inside of virtualbox on my Windows 8.1 desktop.

I'm sorry, I may be using the wrong terminology. I was just using Windows VM's inside of virtualbox on my Windows 8.1 desktop.

Ah. No worries, I think we were just talking across one another -- I was speaking of a bare metal (ish) hypervisor whereas you were talking about a hosted one. Though I quite doubt it was the hardware slowing you down in that case, unless you were viewing the vm through the VirtualBox terminal, then yeah, the graphics would probably be pretty dog slow. I'm building one up as a CentOS kvm host though, so I'll be able to report back with my results as well soon hopefully.

Build went beautifully! KVM on CentOS and supporting four VMs so far without issue (8gb ram). This should be a fine base for anyone building a KVM host.

Thanks dude, worked like a charm. Using this for my parent's server that's still running on an ancient Q6600.

This combo OC's to 4.0 easily. Just go into bios and change the multiplier to 40. (might have to up your voltage too) Run Realbench to test your stability. Monitor your temp, you are set.

I am going to pick this combo up tomorrow at the NoVA store... Thanks OP!

This combo OC's to 4.0 easily. Just go into bios and change the multiplier to 40. (might have to up your voltage too) Run Realbench to test your stability. Monitor your temp, you are set.

That's what I did...slight bump in voltage needed for 4.0, but runs fine on stock HSF at that speed.

Back