MSI Z87I AC board refuses to recognize SSD as valid boot drive

It seems I'm having a problem I haven't encountered before. With the new computer, it appears that the MSI Z87I AC board refuse to recognize my SSD (with a new Windows 8 OS installed) as a valid boot drive.

Oddly, during the install of Windows, the computer occasionally showed an error saying it could not locate the drive and automatically reset itself. Somehow, Windows was installed, but I've been finding that after a long period of having the computer off, upon boot it displays the "Insert media or select boot device".

In the BIOS, it will occasionally show that there is a "HARD DISK" or the SSD's name as the primary boot device. When it refuses to recognize the SSD, it will show a generic "HARD DISK" as the primary device. I can boot to the SSD if I select F11 on startup and manually select the SSD, but it won't recognize it upon a regular startup.

There's also a rarer occurrence of trying to boot to a UEFI disk - I have no idea what that is.

How do I go about changing the primary boot device to recognize that there is a valid installation of Windows on the drive - or is this a defective motherboard?

Thanks!

Thats funny, I had the same thing happen to an OEM Lenovo H430 tower with a VelociRaptor drive attached..
swapped it with another vr and the PC would show the correct HDD sometimes, and nothing other times..
Ended up putting in a a Biostar MB and with the original VR had the same problem...swapped it with another VR and had no issues.

/Tossed the VR into the junk pile..maybe firmware issues?

Thats funny, I had the same thing happen to an OEM Lenovo H430 tower with a VelociRaptor drive attached..
swapped it with another vr and the PC would show the correct HDD sometimes, and nothing other times..
Ended up putting in a a Biostar MB and with the original VR had the same problem...swapped it with another VR and had no issues.

/Tossed the VR into the junk pile..maybe firmware issues?

I was reading about similar issue with other MSI Z87I boards on the MSI forums, briefly today, and someone mentioned an issue with the firmware on the SSD being the issue with the new boards. I have an old Zalman N series SSD, which might be the issue. I'll have to check it against the OCZ Vertex 2 that I have. I may need to buy a new SSD... :mad:

Once in Windows, it will occasionally restarts back to Windows or back to the "Insert boot" display or the UEFI console-like screen.

I reinstalled Windows on an old SATA hard drive and it appears to be solved. The board recognizes the hard drive during each restart and during cold boots. As soon as I reattach the SSD (and detach the hard drive) it once again refuses to recognize the SSD.

I'll have to buy a new SSD... not good.

Back