MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hardware.Info has just published its review of the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming motherboard. What makes this a "gaming" motherboard? You can compare the differences by reading our evaluation of the MSI Z77A-GD65 here.

During this year's CeBIT in the beginning of March, MSI announced it was developing a new line of motherboards aimed specifically at gamers. They're based on existing boards, but have different cooling and a number of gamer-oriented hardware features. We tested the first one in the series called Z77A-GD65 Gaming.

I've been using a MSI Z77A-GD65 (non-Gaming) since last June and really see nothing all that special in the Gaming variant. Cool looking Heatsinks, and built in Killer NIC not withstanding.

Now if they had added higher grade capacitors, faster base clock speeds, something like that then it might be worth it, otherwise, Meh!

The only thing I notice that's different is the looks, it can accept faster RAM, comes with Creative Soundblaster Cinema vs THX TruStudio Pro, comes with Killer E2205 NIC verses Intel 82579V and some higher voltage tweaking. All in all nothing to write home about

The normal GD65 is probably the best Mobo I've had in 2-3 hardware generations. This seems like a bit of a needless update, although it's "only" $30'ish more. If I were buying a new board, I'd at least consider this one.

Me three...great board. Only thing "missing" is eSATA, but I have a add-in card I can use.

Me three...great board. Only thing "missing" is eSATA, but I have a add-in card I can use.

Yeah - agreed 100%. I wish they had eSATA instead of firewire. I have an older external drive for work I have to hook up via firewire instead of the much better/faster eSATA option.
It's a somewhat small, but absolutely valid gripe.

Same here! This is my first MSI motherboard and it may turn me into a MSI fanboy :D

I'm not an MSI fan-boi, but I do have:

P67A-GD65
Z68A-GD65
Z77A-GD65
FM2 A85X-GD65

(and a dead P67A-GD65)

err...maybe I am, after all...

Newegg has a deal right now for a I5-3570K + this mobo for around $344 at $55 off, was thinking of picking it up since it'd be cheaper than getting the non combo'd regular GD65.

Bout time I shed the skin of the 965 BE for greener pastures.

Those combos made it a pretty good deal. Practically the same price you'd get it for from MC since you pay tax at MC. I got the Gigabyte UP4H myself, but I wouldn't have any issue with another GD65.

Back