MSI Wind

Love it. Need to get around to flashing the OC bios though. Gets 5:45 on the battery with wifi enabled. Trackpad could be a little larger, and some people grumble because it doesn't support drag scrolling but I don't use that feature so it's a nonissue as far as I'm concerned.

Great little machine. I use Mac OS X on mine and aside from the headphone/audio jack it works flawlessly (even when overclocked at the maximum 24%). The 6-cell battery is highly recommended, however.

Drag scrolling works for me in Vista, by the way.

phobic: it's not an OS issue, a few months ago they switched to a non synaptics touchpad and synaptics has a patent monopoly on the drag scroll feature. I haven't heard a thing about them switching back, the reported response on msiwind.com to complaints has been "working as designed".

i love mine, it replaced my dell 1420 as my day to day mobile device. i also get around 5:45 to 6 hours on my wind with wifi.

Any of you bothered by the skinny punctuation keys? I've been leaning towards the AAO partly due to that, and the extra Page Up/Down keys on the AAO... Though mostly due to price and availability, the 6-cell Wind disappeared from Newegg for a while, now it's back but the black's out of stock and the white's still $480. The 3-cells are $450 but come down to $400 w/a rebate, and the AAO's $400 w/a 6-cell. 'Course the Wind's got that larger screen...

Edit: Also the fact that they switched touchpads kinda scared me away a lil'... Any other driver level differences between the new one and the Synaptics? Does it turn off when typing as well

I have had mine for just over a week and like it. Got in a 5-6 hour battery life with WiFi on and the 6 cell battery (not exactly sure how long, was in multiple sessions).Typing on it was fine. I liked the hot key (Fn-F2 or something) to switch off the touchpad so my errant thumbs don't switch positions on me in my document. So far so good. My wife liked mine enough that she made me buy her one.

I wish they had made the cover for the black one black as well, plus the cover doesn't look as if it were designed for the 6 cell battery. I also would have liked the "performance button" like some of the Eee PC have which can overclock or underclock at the touch of a button, instead of having to flash the BIOS and then configure in BIOS.

Got mine for $320 after Live Search cashback and a 10% Ebay coupon. The second one ended up being $370 because the coupon was single-use.

If my post were an Ebay feedback...

"Awesome. Will buy again. A++++++"

Note that I have not owned any other netbooks, so can only compare my experience to normal notebooks, of which I have two and have owned two others.

I have had mine for just over a week and like it. Got in a 5-6 hour battery life with WiFi on and the 6 cell battery (not exactly sure how long, was in multiple sessions).Typing on it was fine. I liked the hot key (Fn-F2 or something) to switch off the touchpad so my errant thumbs don't switch positions on me in my document. So far so good. My wife liked mine enough that she made me buy her one.

I wish they had made the cover for the black one black as well, plus the cover doesn't look as if it were designed for the 6 cell battery. I also would have liked the "performance button" like some of the Eee PC have which can overclock or underclock at the touch of a button, instead of having to flash the BIOS and then configure in BIOS.

Got mine for $320 after Live Search cashback and a 10% Ebay coupon. The second one ended up being $370 because the coupon was single-use.

If my post were an Ebay feedback...

"Awesome. Will buy again. A++++++"

Note that I have not owned any other netbooks, so can only compare my experience to normal notebooks, of which I have two and have owned two others.

I think the cover is just something they threw in for the heck of it, not really fitted. If you update the wind's bios to 1.09 it includes underclocking when on batt. and over when on outlet. btw the switch is fn+f10.

Personally, the mousepad doesn't really matter to me. Right when I received my wind I turned off the scrolling function. IMO the pad is too small for the feature and that goes for most netbooks not just the wind.

The MSI cover is almost an inch too big front to back, the 1000H is almost an inch bigger front to back. My theory is they just rebadged covers from a company originally targetting the ASUS crowd. IMO the cover'd be more useful with D rings for a shoulder strap. I can stuff it into my pocket, but skinny geeks don't have that option and hand carrying is much more dropprone.

yea... but buying a 6 cell would still put it under the 1000H's price tag... and if you've been following these boards, the 1000H's 450 price + 6 cell was pretty much why I've always said it was the *best*....

for the same 450 or even a good amount less, now you can have an MSI wind with a 6 cell + extra backup 3 cell.... awesome... awesome...

I have a black 6 cell Wind and love it. The only gripe I have is that the cover is very prone to collecting fingerprints. I'm thinking of taking 2000 grid sand paper and making my own "matte" finish. I just haven't mustered the courage yet. The keyboard is great. Battery life is great. The screen is crisp and clear and very bright to boot. Most of the time I run at the second brightness setting (there are 8 settings). I can basically find no fault with the Wind other than what I've mentioned about the cover.

Let me get this straight.. the 6-cell is giving about 5.45-6 hours.. what does the 3-cell get?

Let me get this straight.. the 6-cell is giving about 5.45-6 hours.. what does the 3-cell get?
3 cell gets 2.5 - 3.5 hours. YMMV depending on what you use it for, what brightness you set it at, and whether or not any of the external features are on (BT, wifi).

Back