MSI Unleashes the R6870 Hawk With Propeller Blade Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
After having swept through the global market with the dominating N460GTX Hawk, world-renowned graphics card and mainboard manufacturer MSI announces the next-generation Hawk series, the R6870 Hawk graphics card. Equipped with the advanced Twin Frozr III thermal design, the all new R6870 Hawk is the world's first graphics card to use propeller blade technology. When compared to traditional fans, the air flow is increased by 20%, allowing the GPU temperature to be up to 21 degrees lower1. Furthermore, it uses the 8+2 phase PWM design to provide the GPU with 2 times the power supply, along with triple overvoltage functions that allow further evolution of R6870 Hawk's overclocking capability. The R6870 Hawk has the most perfect performance blend of cooling, power components, stability, and high performance found on a graphics card today.

I say this in a good way, cards like this one completely negate the need for aftermarket cooling. Why spend $60 for the AXP or $80 for the Shaman when a two-slot design can do just as good a job for a $30 price premium? For me the choice is obvious.

EDIT: Newegg has it in stock. The price is a little bit too close to the 560 for my liking. After all the 560 performs a little better and costs the same for a Galaxy one. But the MSI has a really good PCB with 8 +2 power circuitry. Whatever, to each his own. Given the choice, I would take the 560 at the $250 price range, that's me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127560

Last edited:
I say this in a good way, cards like this one completely negate the need for aftermarket cooling. Why spend $60 for the AXP or $80 for the Shaman when a two-slot design can do just as good a job for a $30 price premium? For me the choice is obvious.

EDIT: Newegg has it in stock. The price is a little bit too close to the 560 for my liking. After all the 560 performs a little better and costs the same for a Galaxy one. But the MSI has a really good PCB with 8 +2 power circuitry. Whatever, to each his own. Given the choice, I would take the 560 at the $250 price range, that's me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127560

The coolers are great however that price is really pushing too much into GTX 560 and 6950 territory. A 6950 is $10 more expensive than this card before rebate and $10 cheaper after the rebate.

Why does it say "Ready for 3DMark 11" on it? Like if someone wasn't insta-sold on "propeller blade" technology, but then saw that it was already ready for 3DMark11 benchmarking and was like HOLY JESUS ON POGO STICK! I NEED THAT NAO!

The marketing person stinks.

Pitching fans as propellers, and 3DMark11... The 3DMark11 page has a MSI Submarine on it. So obviously, propellers + submarines = Throw a stealth fighter jet on the box????

The lift force makes your computer lighter for when you need to move it.

Why does it say "Ready for 3DMark 11" on it? Like if someone wasn't insta-sold on "propeller blade" technology, but then saw that it was already ready for 3DMark11 benchmarking and was like HOLY JESUS ON POGO STICK! I NEED THAT NAO!

The marketing person stinks.

Pitching fans as propellers, and 3DMark11... The 3DMark11 page has a MSI Submarine on it. So obviously, propellers + submarines = Throw a stealth fighter jet on the box????

LOL pure genius. :D It's as if the fact that it says DX11 isn't enough, they had to write that a DX11 card will work with 3DMark 11

something tells me they should outsource their marketing to and english speaking country, well at least it's LOLtastic !!

This combines SuperPipe technology and propeller blade technology with Twin Frozr III technology!?

MADNESS! Stop trying to play God, MSI!

Hide yo' CFM,
Hide yo' RPMs,
Cuz they're propellering every card out there!

Nice but too close in price to its faster big brother. Makes little sense. The pricing this round has got to be as weird as it gets. So many sub $300 cards that are very powerful.

Bah that's nothing. I just got done strapping the turbo from my Subaru on my gpu. So I have turbo blade technology.

You guys are still using the fans with blades? I've been using the bladeless fans for over a year now.

And my motherboard's voltage regulators make my CPU get 16x the power. Sweet.

Im thinking of getting Propeller Blade technology on my Plasma TV so it can display pron better.

Back