MSI Releases N260GTX Lightning for Military Grade Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI has just announced the GeForce N260GTX Lightning featuring the exclusive Twin Frozr, AirForce Panel, 10-Phase Power PWM and 1792MB double-sized memory. Read the full press release here.

Today, MSI releases its greatest custom designed GeForce GTX 260 graphics card after a great introduction at Cebit 2009: MSI N260GTX Lightning. MSI N260GTX Lightning has “Military Class” components, which redefine the standards of top quality graphics cards. With its 1792MB double-sized memory and Twin Frozr thermal design, MSI N260GTX Lightning becomes the most unique GeForce GTX260 on the market. Furthermore, this graphics card has important overclocking features like V-Check points to measure the voltage and MSI exclusive “AirForce Panel” only in “limited” black edition. All the user has to do is slightly touch the panel to enjoy high speed performance by overclocking!

Military Class is the new standard of top quality of graphics cards. It uses ultra long lifespan solid cap which is 2.5x times of lifespan of normal solid cap and ultra high stability Hi-C Cap that can withstand 20% higher temperature. With such high quality components on one card, MSI N260GTX Lightning has incomparable overclocking potential and extreme high stability and reliability.

Seems strange to me that they would push the "premium components" stuff so hard on a mid-grade card, but I guess they feel the need to distinguish themselves from the competition. At the end of the day, it's still a GTX 260 with double the memory. I don't care if they use flux capacitors, it's still a GTX 260.

Seems Pretty cool. I saw an article about a 2GB card that allows GTA4 to run with everything maxed out. Its a video memory hog. And uses 1.5GB+ of video RAM. Sp this card with 1992MB RAM looks liek it does the trick. seriously hardocp should benchmark these new 2GB cards that are already on e-tail shelves. If I can get this MSI lightning card for $240 or less with free shipping I'd buy it in a heartbeat as I found a 2GB sapphire card for around that price and also has hard capacitors and built in HDMI port.

LOL.

"breaks overclocking limitation like fighter breaks speed barrier"

Right-o. At least it didn't say "translate server error" in the ad-copy.

I am so confused lol. I thought the military was trying to play crysis

I kind of like it. For some reason. I'd never actually purchase one, but it does differentiate itself from the other GTX 260s. It's a shame they didn't make a GTX 275 like this instead though; I think that would've sold better. This is a little late in the game to be introducing "special" GTX 260s that command a price premium.

marketing superhype says what? I look at this card and I expect an F22 to come shooting out of my ass at any moment it is so e-peen pumping good. :rolleyes:

In my experience MSI equals some of the worst technical support and RMA facilities you can get... I wouldn't buy this if the damned thing was gold plated.

I've seen some pretty stupid marketing BS for graphics cards, but this has to take the cake. Are there really people out there who fall for this kind of crap?

I was curious, so I checked, and apparently they do. Mostly F-16's which will serve them well until we execute order 66.

if they're still offering the same 2+1 year warranty with this thing I really couldn't care what kind of super duper solid caps they're using. I was so close to buying one of these heatpipe series 260s from them last weekend, but then I realise I can get a stock 260 for $50 less and oc the crap out of it, and not worry about getting stuck with a dead card a couple years down the line.

I have to agree that this ranks about a 14 on the marketing-bullshit-o-meter.

Guys, I don't think you get it. This here is MILITARY GRADE performance. God you are so ignorant.

Just an FYI, Military grade is a real grade of components. They are often the highest binned, should never fail components. The only thing is, they are insane expensive, so I dont see why they would use them on a graphics card...

Guys, I don't think you get it. This here is MILITARY GRADE performance. God you are so ignorant.

NO, they say "military class" which is bullshit . Military "grade" is an actual procurement term and has specific meaning. Military grade means mil spec components are used and have specifications and passed enhanced testing etc. etc.

Military "Class" means whatever MSI wants it to mean. Solid Caps do not make anything Military 'Grade" unless they are listed as compliant to some Mil-spec. Ditto everything else on the board.

If they had made a board with all mil spec components including the board itself I might have been impressed, if it was the top of the line board, and I wanted to play my games while on active duty riding around in a tank. Otherwise not so much. But as mentioned above the not so knowledgeable will likely fall for it.

(its been a while since I had any involvement with this stuff so perhaps it has changed but Military "Class" refers to classifications of weapons systems like a "class" of destroyer, anyone who actually is up to date on this stuff - feel free to correct me. )

Reading the full press release it does seem to be a decently built board and MSI deserves credit for not just pushing out another "reference' card but the marketing is a bit over the top.

Also be aware that there is a mil spec for almost everything, a 1/4-20 hex head zinc plated nut for instance. 3 cents at a hardware store. - same nut from same factory/machine certifed to meet mil spec = $1 the difference is mostly quality control in this example, the nut is no better. And there are exotic mil-spec stuff you cant buy anywhere else as it is truly unique. So mil-spec in itself just means the part will meet a published mil standard. It does not necessarly mean the part is better than anything else.

Last edited:
NO, they say "military class" which is bullshit . Military "grade" is an actual procurement term and has specific meaning. Military grade means mil spec components are used and have specifications and passed enhanced testing etc. etc.

Military "Class" means whatever MSI wants it to mean. Solid Caps do not make anything Military 'Grade" unless they are listed as compliant to some Mil-spec. Ditto everything else on the board.

THIS

This is not a mil-spec product. This is BS marketing.

Last edited:
Its nice to see someone using quality components but this is all I could read.
Marketing Dept:
Bs bs bs bs bs bs bs bs bs bs bs, Military Class BS bs bs bs bs bs bs, extreme BS.

NO, they say "military class" which is bullshit . Military "grade" is an actual procurement term and has specific meaning. Military grade means mil spec components are used and have specifications and passed enhanced testing etc. etc. *SNIP*

I am almost certain that he was kidding. On the outside chance he isn't, I vote for preemptive sterilization.

If this was Mil-Spec, I know a few people who could actually benefit from that. It is not, however.

Hype aside, the front panel OC thingy is really cool. It reminds me of those good old TURBO buttons back in the days.

Should've been used on a higher-spec GPU though, but I guess those don't have much room for OC'ing.

All that information in that press release and mini site and they never tell you if it is a 65nm 216
shader GTX 260 or a 55nm 216 shader GTX 260. So until I get proof, I am placed it in the 65nm
category.

My post on GPUReview.com.

Whoopdie freaking doo. It's a GTX 260 with all solid caps and a bay-mounted array of plastic switches. How is that "military grade?" Great marketing, however.

These cards are so much over kill. You don't really need them. I'm running a pair of BFG 8800 GTS OCs, and I haven't yet seen a game I can run at nearly max at 1920x1200. Get a clue people, avoid the hype.

Last edited:
I wonder why they don't show benchmarks between a overclocked 260gtx and this airplane 260gtx.

Back