MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

Anyone running the latest 1.6 BIOS for this board? Any Issues? Better OC's?

Feel free to post them comments.

Interesting.... seems now MSI has the e3110 listed "under testing" in the bios section for the Plat and FI .

Plat : http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?...=1140&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=2#menu

FI : http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?...=1141&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=2#menu .

I would think they should get the e8400 working first . Not gonna hold my breath for my e3110 to work on this board . Kinda wish I never saw this either as I was gonna put my e3110 up forsale today .

Lets hope they fix e8400 along with the Xeon CPU support. I'm thinking about putting my e8400 for sale, but I'm going to wait it out for 2-3 more weeks.

How can they put that the 8400 works when it doesnt... i dont call having to have to use a back up cpu to possibly get the 8400 running as supported...

I'm also running 1.6 (on an FI), its OCability is very-very-slightly better than 2.5/2.4/1.5, which are roughly the same in terms of OC.

How can they put that the 8400 works when it doesnt... i dont call having to have to use a back up cpu to possibly get the 8400 running as supported...
Looks like in MSI-nglish, "supported" means "put it on life support, maybe it will boot then". :-D

I just returned my board back to vendor, warranty is still valid. According MSI my board should support E8400 and if it doesn't then it's broken. I don't care how they fix it, but if they don't, I want my money back. I waited over 2 months for that E8400 combatibility information and once it was released I bought the processor. Now it's not working and I'm rather p issed off with the situation. I suggest you all claim your money back, since this is clearly misleading advertising, fraud I'd say.

I got another reply from the official MSI support website:
"If your CPU is the exactlg same as Core2 Duo (45nm, L2 Cache) Wolfdale E8400 (3GHz, C0, 65W),then it will work with your mainbaord with BIOS version 2.5.We suggest that tou take the CPU and mainboard to your local reseller for a full test."

Goodbye MSI.

I got another reply from the official MSI support website:
"If your CPU is the exactlg same as Core2 Duo (45nm, L2 Cache) Wolfdale E8400 (3GHz, C0, 65W),then it will work with your mainbaord with BIOS version 2.5.We suggest that tou take the CPU and mainboard to your local reseller for a full test."

Goodbye MSI.

Oh that's comforting .... now we're being told basicly to rma our boards . :rolleyes:

LOL , what next .

*edit*

Well I dont have to worry about my e3110 working on this board any longer as I just sold it (and REALLY hated too) . But , now Iam finding some flaws with the FI and q6600 too . I may try the 1.6 Plat bios now , and if the flash screws up the board so be it ! Damn , I should have just dumped the FI first and foremost .

as i stated.... stay away from MSI....
Am i correct in sayin other 650i boards support wolfdales just not MSI?

I agree that MSI technical support has been unacceptable, given the fact that other companies 650i boards support the wolfdale cpu's. But why is hardocp giving the MSI P7N 750i board a silver award? If MSI has shoddy technical support, shouldn't we spread the word and warn potential buyers about these kinds of problems? Also, if we make a big stink about this on hardocp, maybe we can persuade MSI to release a fully functioning bios for the 650i motherboards with wolfdale cpu's.

Oh that's comforting .... now we're being told basicly to rma our boards . :rolleyes:

LOL , what next .

*edit*

Well I dont have to worry about my e3110 working on this board any longer as I just sold it (and REALLY hated too) . But , now Iam finding some flaws with the FI and q6600 too . I may try the 1.6 Plat bios now , and if the flash screws up the board so be it ! Damn , I should have just dumped the FI first and foremost .

What flaws are you finding out? Gingerly testing mine now, after much suffering trying to OC the chip.

Other boards all support Wolfdales (even reference ones), and most non-reference boards even work with (although not officially "support") Yorkfields. Asrock's board even supports QX9770. So it's just MSI. They want to sell their P7N series boards (which noone is buying 'coz everyone is waiting for P7N2 instead), so they don't upgrade P6Ns anymore.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was not aware of the E8400 situation. My board had the 1.3 bios on there. I popped the E8400 in there and it ran fine. I even had Bioshock running and I was impressed with the processor. I began to overclock but ran into errors. Everytime I would try, I would get an error saying that my FSB of 333 was not supported even though I had it set to 400. So I upated the bios to 1.6 and all problems went away....I thought. I got the CPU to 3.6ghz and it seemed stable but 2 hours into orthos it would give me some sort of memory error. So after trying different voltages and not getting it to work, I finally called it a day and dropped everything back to stock and decided to leave it at that for the time being. But since that point, my computer has not been stable. I have been having numerous problems: Bad_pool_caller blue screens and Freezing at startup just to name a couple. I thought since it had been near stable when I had it at 3.6, all except for the memory issue in orthos, that it was something else that had failed during testing. Maybe some memory, maybe the video card. So I was going to start swapping out parts tomorrow. But now that I see this thread, I think I'm going to start with the motherboard. If I go pick up a different board that has been proven good with these chips and everything runs fine including my overclock, then I'll just eat the cost and use the MSI board with my E4300, which was the previous chip that it housed, and use it for something else.

yeah MSI wants us all to ditch out 650's for a MSI 750

thats the name of the game with MSI

i am going ASUS from now on

I'm glad I found this thread. I was not aware of the E8400 situation. My board had the 1.3 bios on there. I popped the E8400 in there and it ran fine. I even had Bioshock running and I was impressed with the processor. I began to overclock but ran into errors. Everytime I would try, I would get an error saying that my FSB of 333 was not supported even though I had it set to 400. So I upated the bios to 1.6 and all problems went away....I thought. I got the CPU to 3.6ghz and it seemed stable but 2 hours into orthos it would give me some sort of memory error. So after trying different voltages and not getting it to work, I finally called it a day and dropped everything back to stock and decided to leave it at that for the time being. But since that point, my computer has not been stable. I have been having numerous problems: Bad_pool_caller blue screens and Freezing at startup just to name a couple. I thought since it had been near stable when I had it at 3.6, all except for the memory issue in orthos, that it was something else that had failed during testing. Maybe some memory, maybe the video card. So I was going to start swapping out parts tomorrow. But now that I see this thread, I think I'm going to start with the motherboard. If I go pick up a different board that has been proven good with these chips and everything runs fine including my overclock, then I'll just eat the cost and use the MSI board with my E4300, which was the previous chip that it housed, and use it for something else.
Just a question: what actual voltage does your E8400 run at? Also, what is the CPU's VID? Another important point: is it a retail E8400 or an engineering sample? (The board seems to have no problem with ES Penryns, even Yorkfields work.)

Just a question: what actual voltage does your E8400 run at? Also, what is the CPU's VID? Another important point: is it a retail E8400 or an engineering sample? (The board seems to have no problem with ES Penryns, even Yorkfields work.)

i think we may have the root of the problem... it has to do with the multiplier

on unlocked ES chips it works no problem .... on locked chips its a no go

could that be the root?

EVGA and ASUS have both the microcode needed for ES Penryns and the one for retail ones in their BIOS. MSI doesn't know about the microcode difference (which doesn't entirely break the CPU, but results in an incorrect VID reading), and only includes the microcode for ES versions (since they are likely testing with ES Penryns, not retail ones).

Gigabyte doesn't have a BIOS version for their 650i's either.

I did a build for my son with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and a E3110 and it was a piece of cake. Trivial to OC it to 3.6 Ghz. Since I don't use SLI, I will probably stick to Intel chipset MB's in the future.

Generally speaking, if you don't need SLI, and the lack of a native IDE controller with full support for IDE DVD burners isn't a problem for you, then definitely go for Intel.

I have a question for fellow msi p6n owners. I've gotten the q6600 up to about 2.7, but now i need to increase the cpu volts. I see the setting, and can go from 0.00 to .2000. I go all the way up to .2000 volts, and my cpu remains at 1.238 no matter what i set it to. Am i doing something wrong?

I have a question for fellow msi p6n owners. I've gotten the q6600 up to about 2.7, but now i need to increase the cpu volts. I see the setting, and can go from 0.00 to .2000. I go all the way up to .2000 volts, and my cpu remains at 1.238 no matter what i set it to. Am i doing something wrong?

Use the + or - keys on the key pad/number pad of your keyboard to change the voltage range .

yes, i know that part. I can adjust it all i want, but it doesnt actually change my voltages. CPU-z still says 1.238 no matter what. This happened with my asus a8n-32 sli too...

Ricochet: have you disabled C1E? Most likely your voltage does get raised by 0.2000 volts, but it is immediately dropped down to 1.238 when your computer goes idle. Also, being able to raise CPU volts by only 0.2000 V is weird, you might need to update your BIOS to get things right. For me, it allows a voltage as high as +0.3875 V. (I found that the best BIOS to use with this board is Platinum v1.6, or if you have an FI and are afraid of cross-flashing, then FI v2.4 will work well too - FI v2.5 is slightly worse, about on par with Platinum v1.5, while FI v2.3 - for me at least - can't go above 1150 MHz FSB, so it should be avoided at all costs.)

*update*

Ok peeps , now MSI says bios (2.5 or 1.6) for the E3110 is "OFFICAL" for both FI and Plat .:rolleyes: Question being , has anyone gotten thier E3110 (or E8400) to work on either board yet ?

Not a big deal for me now as Ive sold my E3110 because it did NOT work with my FI (bios 2.5), but just curious once again to see if MSI is STILL full of crap saying the bios is good and OFFICIAL with these chips .

FI : http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?...o=1141&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=#menu

Plat : http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?...=1140&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=2#menu

Hey guys. This is my first overclock ever.

I have an MSI P6n 650i Non-Platinum.
Q6600
4 gbs of corsair XMS2.
Cool is a Bigwater 760i.

All I did was bump up voltage to + .1000 in the bios and turn the FSB up to 1520.

It runs stable for about 2 hours then I get a blue screen.

http://i28.tinypic.com/s59w8y.jpg

Dual Core center said the temp was about 55c at the time of the blue screen.

Can't remember what core temps were. Probably around 68ish.

I want to get completely stable and possible overclock this higher. Am I running too hot?

Thanks!

Well I got the Wolfdale E8400 to post. It took a healthy +.0875 Vcore (adjusted with an E6750 in). Proceeded to overclock to 3.6Ghz. I then ran for several hours stable until suddenly .0875 wouldn't post anymore. I increased the voltage to +.125 (swapping in the E6750 to do so) and it posted again but now its running too warm for my comfort. I'm going to go out on a limb and say: Wolfdale NOT supported.

Everyone who is having this problem needs to make sure they complain to MSI. Sure, they'll be no help at all (told me this was a "component" problem and I should consult the online help database), but if they get enough complaints they will have to commit a second software engineer to fixing the problem or remove their claim of support.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums! There seems to be a great community here, and this thread helped a lot last year when I planned to buy this motherboard.

Right now, I'm planning to add two more sticks of memory to my current two. The following are the specs for my PC:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum Mobo
Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520 Watt PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
G.Skill 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC2 6400 Memory (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820231065)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320Mb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Western Digital Raptor 74GB Hard Drive 1
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive 2
Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen Monitor
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers
Logitech MX400 Mouse
Microsoft Natural 4000 Ergonomic Keyboard
LG 20X DVD Burner

I would get the same G.Skill sticks again, but since I'm on a budget, I'm planning to either get one pair of the following Mushkin sticks:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146673
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146699

The first one has been reported to work with the P6N motherboard in the first post, but the second one has the same timings as the G.Skill sticks. However, I am unsure if the two brands will work well together. I intend to keep all settings at stock and won't overclock. Also, would four sticks of memory cause extra strain on the rest of the system such as the chipset? Thanks for your time.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums! There seems to be a great community here, and this thread helped a lot last year when I planned to buy this motherboard.

Right now, I'm planning to add two more sticks of memory to my current two. The following are the specs for my PC:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum Mobo
Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520 Watt PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
G.Skill 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC2 6400 Memory (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820231065)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320Mb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Western Digital Raptor 74GB Hard Drive 1
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive 2
Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen Monitor
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers
Logitech MX400 Mouse
Microsoft Natural 4000 Ergonomic Keyboard
LG 20X DVD Burner

I would get the same G.Skill sticks again, but since I'm on a budget, I'm planning to either get one pair of the following Mushkin sticks:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146673
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146699

The first one has been reported to work with the P6N motherboard in the first post, but the second one has the same timings as the G.Skill sticks. However, I am unsure if the two brands will work well together. I intend to keep all settings at stock and won't overclock. Also, would four sticks of memory cause extra strain on the rest of the system such as the chipset? Thanks for your time.

The 4 sticks of ram problem theory is overrated... i have always used 4 sticks and never had any problems

I have noticed I can overclock less with 4 sticks. With 2gb I could go to 850 easily, now I get problems at higher than 825

Just how bad is 20% VTT on this board, this is what I have to use to get any OC on the Q6600. Am I shortening the life of the board/cpu?

Just how bad is 20% VTT on this board, this is what I have to use to get any OC on the Q6600. Am I shortening the life of the board/cpu?

never worry about chip or board life.... as hardcore PC users....by the time the chip/board dies... we will already have gotten the next gen stuff.. or planning to get it

if i was building a rig for the girlfriend or non power user ...then yeah i would keep it stock

so why worry...push that sum'bitch

you may be shortening the life by a bit but who actually keeps an overclocked board longer than 2 years?:rolleyes: no worries the lifespan goes down from 5-10 years to 3-4 years. as long as your cooling is good u shouldnt have any worries about it just dying on u all of a sudden. i wish i had my e4300 on this baby again, now that was an overclock....1.8ghz to 3.1 ghz. 70% overclock. now with the q6600? psh 500mhz from 2.4 to 2.9...pitiful lol but cant be bothered to get a new mobo and reinstall everything. as if another 200-500mhz will really make a significant performance diff in gaming. i am just waiting for a new graphics card release that will blow everything away like the 8800 gtx did almost 2 years ago. its still top of the line which pisses me off cause it cant fit in my case. gotta wait for that 9800gts i guess:p. anyways enough ranting. dont worry about the overclocking scourgge. life isnt worth living if you live it with worry.

Ok thanks, guys, but I made the switch already to the Evga 750i FTW. I hate installing MBs, but true [H]ard freaks like us can't be satisfied right?

I've got a quick question for board users: has anyone been able to install Windows XP on a SATA drive (in non-RAID config) on this board without loading a floppy?

Currently my primary HDD is IDE but either the drive or one of my IDE channels is flaking out so I'm considering whether to reinstall on my SATA HDD...which I can't do on my OEM XP disc (OEM doesn't allow driver slipstream) unless I also have a floppy drive.

Thanks.

I didn't have any problems installing XP on my SATA drive. I think (I'm not entirely sure though) I was using a slipstreamed disc at the time so I don't know if things will be different with an OEM disc. Though it does seem with most modern boards there isn't a need for a floppy to intall on a SATA drive, unless it's RAID. I haven't read about anyone needing a floppy drive for an XP installation in a long time, lol.

Back