MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

SLAPL is a C0. The newer C1 Wolfdales aren't out yet, only Yorkfields. Maybe a cross-flash to Pt 1.6 would make it work, but I don't know if the Pt BIOS accepts a board without eSATAII. (Someone who is brave enough might try.)

I didn't know SLAPL is a C0... So why the heck are they saying that their new bios works with Wolfdales. I hate false advertising, and this is what MSI is doing. I contacted their support and they responded saying that I have to make sure the CPU is a Wolfdale e8400... which it is I'm not an idiot.
I'm looking into eVGAs, I'm getting rid of this mobo.

Besides, so far only 1 person got it to work (Wolfdale + P6N SLI FI) which is really strange.

I tried it and it doesn´t work (P6N SLI with BIOS v1.6 from Platinum)
What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Kills the board, or just doesn't add 45nm support? (Note to crossflashers: don't forget to update NVRAM and everything to avoid creating a "FrankenBIOStein", best tool is maybe AFUWIN 4.33)

Im trying to OC my e6550 on a MSI P6N Platinum to 2.8 with a FSB of 1600. I have got it up to 1550 with stock voltage. If I try 1600 it doesn't boot. Any suggestions?

System Specs

MSI P6N Platinum
Core 2 Duo e6550
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 6400 @ 2.1v 4-4-4-12

This is what MSI told me:

"Thanks for your feedback as well.

According to your information,we can say that your CPU isn't the same type as Core2 Duo (45nm, L2 Cache) Wolfdale E8400 (3GHz, C0, 65W).So it can't work with this mainboard."

Soooooo if my CPU isn't Wolfdale that what the heck is it? ---->
INTEL E8400 <------ ???
INTEL CORE 2 DUO
SLAPL MALAY
3.00GHZ/6M/1333/06
Q744A761

It's not like I'm the only person that can't get it to work.

This is what MSI told me:

"Thanks for your feedback as well.

According to your information,we can say that your CPU isn't the same type as Core2 Duo (45nm, L2 Cache) Wolfdale E8400 (3GHz, C0, 65W).So it can't work with this mainboard."

Soooooo if my CPU isn't Wolfdale that what the heck is it? ---->
INTEL E8400 <------ ???
INTEL CORE 2 DUO
SLAPL MALAY
3.00GHZ/6M/1333/06
Q744A761

It's not like I'm the only person that can't get it to work.

nvm...

just quick note for ppl afraid to cross-flash. its completely harmless. ive done it tons of times to try and improve overclocks. so if u got a cpu lying around that isnt working with the fi bios give the platinum bios a try.

Im trying to OC my e6550 on a MSI P6N Platinum to 2.8 with a FSB of 1600. I have got it up to 1550 with stock voltage. If I try 1600 it doesn't boot. Any suggestions?

System Specs

MSI P6N Platinum
Core 2 Duo e6550
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 6400 @ 2.1v 4-4-4-12
Try jumping straight to 1700, possibly reducing your multiplier. There is a known FSB hole between 1600 and 1700 on this board. (It's not the only hole however, as there is another one between 1160 and 1333.)

Try jumping straight to 1700, possibly reducing your multiplier. There is a known FSB hole between 1600 and 1700 on this board. (It's not the only hole however, as there is another one between 1160 and 1333.)

I would really like to set the FSB @ 1600 because that would give me a 1:1 ratio. Is there some voltages I have to mess with? Do I have to lower my ram timings? Like I said I can get it up to 1550 on stock voltages with memory timings @ 4-4-4-12 just fine but that gives me a 15:16 ratio... but @ 1600 it fails to boot. I also tried 1575 same result, no boot. I've looked at alot of forums and can't find someone with this board and my CPU so I can just copy setting.

I would really like to set the FSB @ 1600 because that would give me a 1:1 ratio. Is there some voltages I have to mess with? Do I have to lower my ram timings? Like I said I can get it up to 1550 on stock voltages with memory timings @ 4-4-4-12 just fine but that gives me a 15:16 ratio... but @ 1600 it fails to boot. I also tried 1575 same result, no boot. I've looked at alot of forums and can't find someone with this board and my CPU so I can just copy setting.
Unfortunately there is no known method of doing that, except maybe booting @ 1550 with DDR @ 775, then clockgening up to 1600/800. That way, one can avoid the FSB hole. Or, you can OC your RAM to 850, loosening timings as needed. You might try just upping the CPU & NB volts, but if you are hitting the FSB hole (it is known to exist on the FI version, not sure about Platinum), then no volts will help you. You might even run your CPU @ 2 volts with dry ice cooling, it won't boot even then. (Quick test to see if it's the FSB hole: try booting @ 1700. If it works, even if it crashes after 1 min prime, then it is likely the hole.)

EDIT: Also, what BIOS are you using?

Unfortunately there is no known method of doing that, except maybe booting @ 1550 with DDR @ 775, then clockgening up to 1600/800. That way, one can avoid the FSB hole. Or, you can OC your RAM to 850, loosening timings as needed. You might try just upping the CPU & NB volts, but if you are hitting the FSB hole (it is known to exist on the FI version, not sure about Platinum), then no volts will help you. You might even run your CPU @ 2 volts with dry ice cooling, it won't boot even then. (Quick test to see if it's the FSB hole: try booting @ 1700. If it works, even if it crashes after 1 min prime, then it is likely the hole.)

EDIT: Also, what BIOS are you using?

He might be right about OCing the RAM to 850 MHz. The timings should automatically loosen and allow for a better overclock. My e6300 would only do 2.56 Ghz stable @ 800 Mhz (around 370 FSB) and under. Once I OC'd to 860 MHz, I am able to do 1800 (450Mhz) FSB
Orthos 24hr. stable.

Man thanks alot Netroller 3d. It WORKED! check it out of course I havnt tested for stability but at least it boots and I'm @ a 1:1 ratio.

Ok , anyone have any/better luck "yet" on either board with e8400/e3110's working with the newer bios's .

Gonna try my e3110 today on my FI with bios 2.5 . I'll report back .....

Ok , anyone have any/better luck "yet" on either board with e8400/e3110's working with the newer bios's .

Gonna try my e3110 today on my FI with bios 2.5 . I'll report back .....

*UPDATE*

No go with my 3110/SLI-FI and bios 1.5 . Tried multiple times just to be sure and nothing from the 3110 cpu itself , only power to the system (fans , etc) .

I even swapped out my e6420 and q6600 a few times in between (they booted fine) then reinstalled the e3110 and again nothing .

Well , I hate to say it "again" , but MSI and thier bios Wolfdale update is full of s*** !!! Looks like the last MSI board for me , since they cant get an updated bios correct and all the other competator brands can .

*UPDATE*

No go with my 3110/SLI-FI and bios 1.5 . Tried multiple times just to be sure and nothing from the 3110 cpu itself , only power to the system (fans , etc) .

I even swapped out my e6420 and q6600 a few times in between (they booted fine) then reinstalled the e3110 and again nothing .

Well , I hate to say it "again" , but MSI and thier bios Wolfdale update is full of s*** !!! Looks like the last MSI board for me , since they cant get an updated bios correct and all the other competator brands can .

It's none of my business, but you got a quad-core running 3.6 GHz on a 650i motherboard.

What the heck do you need a wolfdale for,anyway?

You know you love this motherboard so don't hate on it.

I just tried the e8400 with P6N SLI... It works!!! You just have to flash the bios to the one from this board --> EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3.

Here's the link for the bios: EVGA BIOS

**EDIT**
April Fools ha ha ha

I just tried the e8400 with P6N SLI... It works!!! You just have to flash the bios to the one from this board --> EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3.

Here's the link for the bios: EVGA BIOS

**EDIT**
April Fools ha ha ha

Someone RickRolled on another thread a few weeks ago. I knew this had to be another RickRoll, and even though I didn't click on it, I can't get that goddamn song outta my head.

I had just forgotten it, too.

Whoever is still trying to get the wolfdale to work with the P6N SLI FI, here is a good thread:
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=107946.msg863412

Although there is no solution yet, they sometimes post beta BIOS to try out.

Ive tried the betas they had out (now pulled from the site) and it was a no go either . MSI pulled the beta's because they were no good . As it stands now , no 45nm will work on both the Plat or FI (for 99.9% or users that have tried) .

Just bought the wolfdale e8400 right after MSI posted the 1.6 bios for the P6N Platinum. Slapped it in and it wont post. Fans and lights go on but no post. Guess I fall in the 99% for failure. Now I have to look for a new mobo.

A trick which might get the board working with Wolfdales: While still on your old CPU, bump your N/B voltage to 1.35V, add a bit to your Vcore, set FSB VTT to 4%, and set S/B to 1.55V (it might seem to go right to 1.60 from 1.50, but go up to 1.70, then go up one notch, and voilá, it jumps to 1.55 - a bug in the BIOS). Set clocks to Auto, with no overclock. Disable EIST and C1E. Now insert your new CPU, and try to boot. This *might* help. It has been reported that some boards drastically undervolt 45nm CPUs, and the same hack worked on this exact board when it had problems with 1333MHz FSB Conroes. Also, if you have an FI, try the Platinum BIOS, combined with the voltage bumps. I tend to get higher overclocks with it at the same voltages, so it might help in case of an undervolting issue.

EDIT: You need to set FSB VTT to 4%, not 2%, as previously reported.

well who gonna take the 199$ plunge and test this new theory out

good job by the way NETROLLER

MSI tends to mark CPUs "supported" if they can be made to work by overvolting the northbridge. This has happened for quite a few boards during the transition to 1333MHz. Possibly the same thing is true this time. (Just the opposite of what ASRock does: only those CPUs are listed on their CPU Support page, that work out of the box with a BIOS update AND are considered "working" by the maker of the CPU, that is, Intel or AMD. See 775Dual-VSTA for example, works fine with quad-cores, but it doesn't meet Intel's requirements, and it is considered an overclock, so it's not "supported".)
Also, those who got it to work have swapped it in place of an overclocked CPU. For example, one guy in the other thread had an E4300 @ 3.2 GHz in the board before switching to a Wolfdale. Likely he overvolted the board a bit for that overclock, and he might have forgot to reset his volts before swapping CPUs.

MSI tends to mark CPUs "supported" if they can be made to work by overvolting the northbridge. This has happened for quite a few boards during the transition to 1333MHz. Possibly the same thing is true this time. (Just the opposite of what ASRock does: only those CPUs are listed on their CPU Support page, that work out of the box with a BIOS update AND are considered "working" by the maker of the CPU, that is, Intel or AMD. See 775Dual-VSTA for example, works fine with quad-cores, but it doesn't meet Intel's requirements, and it is considered an overclock, so it's not "supported".)
Also, those who got it to work have swapped it in place of an overclocked CPU. For example, one guy in the other thread had an E4300 @ 3.2 GHz in the board before switching to a Wolfdale. Likely he overvolted the board a bit for that overclock, and he might have forgot to reset his volts before swapping CPUs.

I was thinking it was something along the lines of this...overvolting before installation.
I sent op1e another PM over on xtremesystems. He hasn't been on in a few days. I'll float this idea to him if he responds again.

I'm tempted to give this a shot myself, but I've lost interest in the e8400 and I really don't feel like breaking-down my system again. I wish whoever tries this much luck. :)

A trick which might get the board working with Wolfdales: While still on your old CPU, bump your N/B voltage to 1.35V, add a bit to your Vcore, set FSB VTT to 2%, and set S/B to 1.55V (it might seem to go right to 1.60 from 1.50, but go up to 1.70, then go up one notch, and voilá, it jumps to 1.55 - a bug in the BIOS). Set clocks to Auto, with no overclock. Disable EIST and C1E. Now insert your new CPU, and try to boot. This *might* help. It has been reported that some boards drastically undervolt 45nm CPUs, and the same hack worked on this exact board when it had problems with 1333MHz FSB Conroes. Also, if you have an FI, try the Platinum BIOS, combined with the voltage bumps. I tend to get higher overclocks with it at the same voltages, so it might help in case of an undervolting issue.

If someone tries this and gets it to work, please post BIOS settings.

Also, let's say I'll get this to work, what if I have to reset BIOS with the e8400 in. To do that I I would need to swap to another CPU, change BIOS settings, put e8400 in? Just thinking out loud.

Yes, quite a hassle, but it's the only way (without maybe voltmodding the board). If you buy an E8400 for this board, be prepared to also buy a Celeron 430.

It's none of my business, but you got a quad-core running 3.6 GHz on a 650i motherboard.

What the heck do you need a wolfdale for,anyway?

You know you love this motherboard so don't hate on it.

Its not that I hate my board , its the fact that MSI "says" the new bios will work , when it clearly does NOT . This was supposed to be a simple 45nm cpu upgrade (from my past e6420) , of which it is not . I wanted a higher fsb/mhz for gaming with my e3110 , as a really dont need a quad at this time .

The fact that I even have a q6000 is because I bought it AFTER my e3110 would not work with this board . That extra $200+ I spent on the q6600 was to be my direct $$$ for the second v/card for Sli . Granted (and very surprised) that my q6600 works well with this board , but the bios is still "quirky' getting the q6600 to go as far as I have (long story and too detailed to explain here) .
I now have to sell off my e3110 to grab another v/card (as $$$ is tight for me) ; to where I'd to like to have kept my e3110 , as I know its a decent overclocker (tested on Evga 680i for two weeks) @ 4200 1.36v (with room to spare).

All in all its taken ALOT of my time just to get to this point , for just a so-called simple cpu and bios upgrade . My disappointment with MSI still stands !!!

So does the 8400 processor have problems with all of the nvidia 650i boards or just the MSI? Is this likely to be fixed with a future bios update? I checked the MSI forums and they did not have anymore info than we have here.

So does the 8400 processor have problems with all of the nvidia 650i boards or just the MSI? Is this likely to be fixed with a future bios update? I checked the MSI forums and they did not have anymore info than we have here.

That depends entirely on the manufacturer and thier own bios updates . I know other 650i (and 680i) boards do work with these chips ,such as Evga .

Who knows if/when MSI will do another bios update, considering they say the current bios for both Plat/FI works for these chips . The only responce we get from MSI at the MSI forums about the bios not working , is to contact them directly for more tech support ; which may mean that they could have another beta bios in the works (but thats only spectulation on my part) .

Here is a post, copied directly from MSI HQ (so that people can read it without registering there, originally written by "pcgeek1973":
yep I flashed it with the platinum bios!!! I figured what the heck, i would give it a try, it was either that or I was gonna order a new motherboard. Either way I wouldnt be using this board anymore if it didnt work.

here are the settings that I changed while the 6600 was in.

Northbridge: 1.35
vcore: .125
set fsb vtt to 4% 2% didnt work
set southbridge to 1.55
disabled all of the speedspectrum stuff
disabled EIST and C1E
and I set the clock to auto
and whatever the hidden setting was under cpu when you hit F4 to disabled and the one above it to disabled.

AND yes if you flash with the platinum 1.6 bios it is at your own risk I may have just gotten LUCKY!!

So, the instructions are the following:
1. While still on your old CPU, flash your board to P6N SLI Platinum version 1.6. P6N SLI-FI v2.5 might work too, but it is untested.
2. Go into the BIOS setup and set the following values:
In Advanced BIOS -> CPU Features:
C1E Support: Disabled (Press F4 if you can't see this option, that will make it appear. Possibly higher voltage bumps can make it work with C1E. The post also mentions disabling NX, but its most likely unneeded.)
In Cell Menu:
D.O.T. Control: Disabled
Intel EIST: Disabled (again, might work with higher volts)
System Clock Mode: Auto OR Manual (but NOT Linked, or you will hit an FSB hole on the board! QX9770 always needs Manual. Others might be helped by it, too.)
(The next two options only appear with System Clock Mode: Manual)
FSB Clock (Mhz): FSB/QPB speed +1MHz, rounded up (not down) to an even number. 1334 for most 45nm CPUs, but QX9770 needs special treatment: either overclock to 1700 or underclock to 1550, to dodge another FSB hole, adjusting your multiplier accordingly. Two FSB holes are involved here: one between 1150-1333.33 (the speed 1333.33, achieved by FSB:"1333" and DDR:"667" works, but not the speed 1333.0, done with FSB:"1333" and DDR:"666"!), and another one between 1550-1700.
Memory Clock (Mhz): FSB/QPB speed / 2 + 1MHz. This is to keep RAM and CPU 1:1 For most people, this will be 667.
Adjust CPU Ratio: set it to the highest value allowed by your new CPU (or if it's not visible, then the highest visible value) for everything except Q9770. If you are using a Q9770 running at FSB:1700, and don't want to overclock it, set it to 7, otherwise set it to 8 (or higher if you want a higher O/C).
Advance DRAM Configuration menu: Set Command Rate to 2T, unless you are PERFECTLY sure that your RAM can run @ 667 MHz, with an 1T command rate. Leave other settings on Auto.
Adjust PCI-E Frequency: Leave it @ 100.
CPU Voltage: 0.1250V. For Yorkfields, possibly higher, for QX9770, even higher.
Memory Voltage: Auto, unless your RAM needs a voltage bump for 667 MHz operation. (Very few need.) In that case, set it to the voltage you would use to achieve 667 MHz with your old CPU.
NB Voltage: 1.35 V (1.5 V if you are using a QX9770 - but possibly even that won't do it! Non-QX9770 Yorkfields might also need higher volts, if Yorkfields can be made to work at all.)
SB Voltage: 1.55 V (Note: The 1.55 V option is "hidden" in the sense that when you go up one step from 1.50, you go straight to 1.60. Go *down* one step instead, and there it is. 1.6 V should work too, with adequate cooling.)
FSB VTT Voltage: 4% or 6% at a bare minimum! Possibly higher for quads, especially... guess what! (Answer: QX9770. I hate repeating myself...)
Spread Spectrum Configuration: Set all to Disabled.
3. Save settings and reboot. Turn off your computer *before* it POSTs, to prevent an interference with the Boot Failure Guard.
4. Replace your old CPU with your shiny new Wolfdale (or Yorkfield - but this was not tested at all with Yorkfields! Plus, MSI says Yorkfields are not supported.) DON'T CLEAR THE CMOS!!!
5. Plug and Pray. :)
6. Turn your machine on, and hope for the best! If you done everything right, the odds are quite high that it will POST. If it doesn't, put back your old CPU, clear the CMOS and try again with higher voltages.

Hope this helps,
.NetRolller 3D

EDIT: Oh, here is the link to the thread on MSI HQ: http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=115998.0

That depends entirely on the manufacturer and thier own bios updates . I know other 650i (and 680i) boards do work with these chips ,such as Evga .

Who knows if/when MSI will do another bios update, considering they say the current bios for both Plat/FI works for these chips . The only responce we get from MSI at the MSI forums about the bios not working , is to contact them directly for more tech support ; which may mean that they could have another beta bios in the works (but thats only spectulation on my part) .

I contacted them and they keep telling me that I don't have e8400. They told me that I have a different CPU than the one specified on their website. I sent them invoices\pictures\descriptions of my CPU which I bought from newegg... I'm preeettttyy sure its e8400:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Their 45nm bios update is a joke. Hope they had a good laugh about it, tricking customers into buying their P6N SLI FI.

I think you were right all along NetRoller...

I might have to grab me one of them e8400's.

If someone tries this and gets it to work, please post BIOS settings.

Also, let's say I'll get this to work, what if I have to reset BIOS with the e8400 in. To do that I I would need to swap to another CPU, change BIOS settings, put e8400 in? Just thinking out loud.

Yeh ditto , my thoughts on that too .... if you have to reset the bios to defaults then what .... gotta swap out chips again ? Man , no thanks on that .

Geez , guess I'll just sell my nice little e3110 (tested nicely at 4200 @ 1.36v Evga 680i) , put another v/card in (with the e3110 cash) for SLi and be done with it . :rolleyes:

thx NetRoller3D,
I don't know if he meant vcore .125 or .0125 but I tried your method and can't really get it to work. I'll keep trying with different voltages and report back. I don't think .125 is safe so I'm not gonna go that far. I'll keep increasing from .0125 and see.

One more thing, "The post also mentions disabling NX, but its most likely unneeded", what does NX stand for? :confused:

BTW flashing to Platinum BIOS was a breeze, I hope it stays stable with e6420.

That was me on the MSI Board that posted all of those settings... after hours and hours of trying to get it to work!!!

.125 is the setting that I used, I have herd that up tp .1375 is safe. I tried the theory if maybe I was wrong on the volts and tried .0125 and it wont boot that is was to low. went up slowly to .085 and it boots. so should be safe from that to .1375. I have it oc to 3.6 after that it isnt stable. That is on water!!!

I am assuming that is due to the board. I dont want to go much higher, if I have to reset the bios then I would have to do the cpu swap and that is getting old. soooo.... out goes the msi board in a few days amd in will go one that fully supports my wolfdale.

Just so everyone knows, if you dont wanna spend the cash on a new board this will get you by, until a new bios update, but you would have to keep another cpu handy just incase you have to reset the bios.

Hope this helps SnakePL

Sorry if there is a lot of rambling here, I just got off of work and am really tired.

Pcgeek: Next time please use leading/trailing zeros, as the BIOS uses them, so you can greatly help avoid confusion.

Back