MSI P67A-GD65 LGA1155 Chipset Motherboard Review @ [H]

The reviews at newegg are dead on if you're talking about the bios save bug. Try not to make such a foolish statement to justify your purchase. Go look at the MSI forums and read the posts from the official MSI support reps. There was a save bug and everyone affected by it could NOT save any changes in the UEFI. Here, I'll link if for you since it sounds like finding it might be beyond your abilities. http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=144484.msg1080586#msg1080586
Hey nimrod...quit being a dick..did you see the part rock solid for me with bios 1.7...my board shipped with 1.4...noticed problems trying to of manually oc..almost immediately flashed to 1.7...solid ever since...once again I say ...reviews on newegg are garbage....

Hey nimrod...quit being a dick..did you see the part rock solid for me with bios 1.7...my board shipped with 1.4...noticed problems trying to of manually oc..almost immediately flashed to 1.7...solid ever since...once again I say ...reviews on newegg are garbage....
Oh I get it, it's the old, "I'm not having any problems with mine, so everyone else is wrong" thing.

Oh I get it, it's the old, "I'm not having any problems with mine, so everyone else is wrong" thing.

lulz.

When I was considering which board to get, I heard the 1.7 BIOS was "the one to use", so as soon as my board was delivered, and before I tried to load the OS or overclock or anything else, I immediately upgraded my BIOS to version 1.7

Anyone who is considering the board should research possible problems before they make their purchase. Of course those people who purchased before the 1.7 version was released may have experienced problems, but that's the price for living on the bleeding edge.

I hate it to be honest. I love the features and the price but the issue giving some people hell is the UEFI save bug. I can't make ANY changes in my UEFI, none, nothing....as soon as I hit save and exit, the bios locks up. That's the issue with this board right now. You'll find it on the MSI forums and in the newegg comments.

What version of BIOS are you using?

Anyone know whether the board would handle 4 dimms with say a Noctua u12 SE or Hyper 212+? Basically would the first ram slot be covered by the heatsink (unraisable) or the heatsink fan (can be raised) to clear ram that use the fin heatspreaders (what is with these finned heatspreaders).

Anyone know whether the board would handle 4 dimms with say a Noctua u12 SE or Hyper 212+? Basically would the first ram slot be covered by the heatsink (unraisable) or the heatsink fan (can be raised) to clear ram that use the fin heatspreaders (what is with these finned heatspreaders).

I have 4 Vengeance DIMMS, but I can't tell you about the Noctua since I use an H70

msi gd55
5ghz

jife3n.jpg

Any chance you could post you bios settings for your OC ? I am having to pump 1.37v (1.408 under prime load) in to a 2600k to be prime stable at only 4.6ghz Its supposed to be from a good batch known for low vcores as well.

I may have a crap chip and thats ok. Just want to be sure as some of these newer voltage settings are not clear and I am hearing many conflicting opinions on what to tweak. Hyper 212 cooler by the way... Aiming for 4.8 but 4.6 is needing too much vcore. Vdroop is set low. Mem at 1600 running rated volts and speed (tried lower but still need vcore at 1.4 under load for 4.6 prime stable... Intel spec shows 1.52v for max BTW. Am I missing something ? Cstates are on too BTW.

Thanks

In VINDICIS defence there where actually two BIOS save bugs. One had to do with the V1.4 bios and the core voltage save. The other was a issue where NO bios settings where saveing once you exited the BIOS screen and launched windows. If I am not mistaken this was the issue that Vindicis was having.

Any chance you could post you bios settings for your OC ? I am having to pump 1.37v (1.408 under prime load) in to a 2600k to be prime stable at only 4.6ghz Its supposed to be from a good batch known for low vcores as well.

I may have a crap chip and thats ok. Just want to be sure as some of these newer voltage settings are not clear and I am hearing many conflicting opinions on what to tweak. Hyper 212 cooler by the way... Aiming for 4.8 but 4.6 is needing too much vcore. Vdroop is set low. Mem at 1600 running rated volts and speed (tried lower but still need vcore at 1.4 under load for 4.6 prime stable... Intel spec shows 1.52v for max BTW. Am I missing something ? Cstates are on too BTW.

Thanks

1. Update your BIOS + Intel Management Engine. MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THE IME!!!

2. Enable Internal PLL Overvoltage

3. Ensure your memory timings are correct in the BIOS. My ram was incorrectly detected as 1T command rate. I had to set it manually to 2T, and it did affect my overclock. I need about 1.35V (setting in BIOS) with Low VDroop to be stable at 4.8.

In VINDICIS defence there where actually two BIOS save bugs. One had to do with the V1.4 bios and the core voltage save. The other was a issue where NO bios settings where saveing once you exited the BIOS screen and launched windows. If I am not mistaken this was the issue that Vindicis was having.

Yes, the issue I had that was acknowledge and fixed by MSI support (in the thread I linked) caused the UEFI to lock up as soon as hit save/reset in the UEFI. You were then forced to hard reset the machine which means none of your changes were saved. We're still working on the issue in that same thread. While the save bug is fixed, those of us with the problem seem to have NO intel ME on our machine at all. Support has no answer at this time but are working on it.

I updated the bios over a week ago to 1.8b7 and nothing seemed to change. Never had the saving or vcore bug. Notice that vcore in windows is different that vcore in bios. How can I be sure the intel management agent was updated ? I did use the msi forum tool and bios flashing method. Just looked at CPUZ and I also seem to be at 1T. And wouldnt ya know it ? SPD it 2T. Hah.. Well, I know going to 2T will be a drop so now the question is was that the cause of needing higher vcore ?

Not sure how helpful this would be but here are some clearance measurements
I no longer have this board as I have returned it to the store.

img2016y.jpg

img2018vl.jpg

img2019or.jpg

img2021pl.jpg

img2022u.jpg

Got my board yesterday. I will confirm, although I suspected as much from DraGun's awesome measurements (maybe all mobo reviews should do this :p), the Hyper 212+ with a fan on will cover the closest dimm slot. Needs just ~5mm more of clearance. There is much more space on the other side though.

Just need a CPU and memory now, before I can try it out.

May be a dumb question, but does anybody have this board in stock? Estimated time table?

-----------------------

MSI's website

...These new MSI products will become available in April and this way you will miss your product only for a very short period of time. You can identify the new products by a clear sticker on the color box. We will release details about this procedure before the end of February...

Last edited:
May be a dumb question, but does anybody have this board in stock? Estimated time table?

-----------------------

MSI's website

I really hope that message is going to be updated with an earlier date. I heard Asus was already getting ready ship or already shipping the new boards.

My new computer is waiting on this motherboard alone. And it sucks.

I really hope that message is going to be updated with an earlier date. I heard Asus was already getting ready ship or already shipping the new boards.

My new computer is waiting on this motherboard alone. And it sucks.

I know, mine too. I feel even worse knowing I had an opportunity to snag one earlier in the week and when I went to finally order it, they were out of stock and so was everyone else. :(

The worst thing for me is that I don't even care about SATA II. I wish they didn't issue a full recall. I have would gladly bought a board afflicted with the problem since it's isolated to SATA II and said thank you muchly! But I waited too long in deciding on what exactly to do.

But then again I can see why they had to. Otherwise they would have been inundated with even more RMA requests from people.

For those people who purchased the MSI board were there any issues in building the pc and approx how much did the board cost ? (I'm just waiting on a board and trying to decide between the MSI and asrock extreme 4). A bit depends on price but also ease of system build (asus seems to have a lot of bios issues)

My board (pictured above) cost me $179.99 from amazon. I returned it though so I never got a chance to build it.

Just bought one of these off newegg this morning. However, I am worried about one thing that you guys may be able to help me with. On Newegg, under the details tab for the board, it says that it only supports 1066,1333,1600, and 2133 MHz RAM, 1600 and 2133 only being reached by overclocking. Prior to purchasing the board, I purchased every other component for the system, including a 2x4GB Patriot Viper Extreme 1866 Mhz rated RAM package. Will the board have serious issues if I try to run the RAM at its specified rating? Why would it support 2133MHz and not 1866? I was planiing on initially just going with the XMP profile in the BIOS but now I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice would be great

For those people who purchased the MSI board were there any issues in building the pc and approx how much did the board cost ? (I'm just waiting on a board and trying to decide between the MSI and asrock extreme 4). A bit depends on price but also ease of system build (asus seems to have a lot of bios issues)

I built one about 3 days after the announcement (order it a day before intel announced the recall)

Newegg notified us yesterday that replacements were in and asking how I wanted to proceed. Took them up on the offer to do an 'advanced RMA' where they take my CC# for security, send me the new board and I send the old one back.. (and if I don't send it back, then they charge me)

Building the system was no problem, the only downside was that I had a case with 4 front panel USB ports and there are only two headers for that on the MB since the other header is for a USB3 port (and the case front panel ports are only usb2) Its great to have 4 usb 3 ports, but I could actually have wished for maybe more headers and a few fewer ports on the back...

So far it's been rock solid, but then I made sure to plug the drives into ONLY the Sata3 connectors until we get the replacement

It's the wife's box, used for a lot of lightroom and the like, so have not messed much with overclocking it.

Anyone notice the random [H] sighting on the B3 box on newegg? (Give thanks to DSee on irc)

Just bought one of these off newegg this morning. However, I am worried about one thing that you guys may be able to help me with. On Newegg, under the details tab for the board, it says that it only supports 1066,1333,1600, and 2133 MHz RAM, 1600 and 2133 only being reached by overclocking. Prior to purchasing the board, I purchased every other component for the system, including a 2x4GB Patriot Viper Extreme 1866 Mhz rated RAM package. Will the board have serious issues if I try to run the RAM at its specified rating? Why would it support 2133MHz and not 1866? I was planiing on initially just going with the XMP profile in the BIOS but now I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice would be great

I'm running 2x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB) DDR3 1866 (Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) on a non-B3 board. No RAM issues thus far.

Building the system was no problem, the only downside was that I had a case with 4 front panel USB ports and there are only two headers for that on the MB since the other header is for a USB3 port (and the case front panel ports are only usb2) Its great to have 4 usb 3 ports, but I could actually have wished for maybe more headers and a few fewer ports on the back...

Same here. It is a bit annoying to have 4 USB ports on the front panel but only two work because of board limitations.

I'm running 2x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB) DDR3 1866 (Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) on a non-B3 board. No RAM issues thus far.

How close is the fitment to your Hyper 212+? Can you take a pic of it?

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on what HSF to buy. So far I'm looking at the Thermaltake Venomous X and the Noctua DH-D14. Leaning towards the Venomous X.

Thanks in advance!

Here's the clearance of the ram w/ the Venomous X and the optional fan mounts:

Photo1.jpg

Here's the clearance of the ram w/ the Venomous X and the optional fan mounts:

Photo1.jpg

Thanks!

How close is it to your video card? Looks like I'm going to be copying your setup... motherboard and cpu wise anyway :p

I was going to get the motherboard replacement but now I don't think I will and just use the "deformed" one. I really don't want to go through the whole process of reseating everything, especially my heatsink. The thing was a bitch to install.

What am I looking at, only 3-5% degradation of performance over 2-3 years on my hard drive speed? No other benefits right? And that's only if I use the 3GB/S ports?

Meh I say. I rather just wait till' new motherboards come out for the better processors.

I was going to get the motherboard replacement but now I don't think I will and just use the "deformed" one. I really don't want to go through the whole process of reseating everything, especially my heatsink. The thing was a bitch to install.

What am I looking at, only 3-5% degradation of performance over 2-3 years on my hard drive speed? No other benefits right? And that's only if I use the 3GB/S ports?

Meh I say. I rather just wait till' new motherboards come out for the better processors.

One issue that comes to mind, besides the sata degradation, is the loss of resale value. Who would want to buy your board if they knew it was pre-B3?

One issue that comes to mind, besides the sata degradation, is the loss of resale value. Who would want to buy your board if they knew it was pre-B3?
Who would want to buy a P67 GD65 anyway? What would be the resale value come end of year?

Many people like to buy second hand and this is a good board. I'm speaking relatively.
Good point. Maybe I'll have to do this then.

If I replace motherboard I should reinstall the whole system on HD right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any significant difference between the G53/G55/G65 besides some dinky things like a USB 3.0 header. Is there something else I'm missing? The things I care about (x8,x8 PCI 2.0 mode, USB 3.0 port, OC software support) all seem to be there.

Also, I thought 1600 support was supposed to be native for at least some P67 boards, is that not the case?

Finally, I saw it mentioned that the 212 causes a RAM DIMM clearance issue. Any problem with running two matched sticks in the black slots instead? I'd like to be able to buy a sub $35 cooler and the 212 is a great choice.

Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any significant difference between the G53/G55/G65 besides some dinky things like a USB 3.0 header. Is there something else I'm missing? The things I care about (x8,x8 PCI 2.0 mode, USB 3.0 port, OC software support) all seem to be there.

Also, I thought 1600 support was supposed to be native for at least some P67 boards, is that not the case?

Finally, I saw it mentioned that the 212 causes a RAM DIMM clearance issue. Any problem with running two matched sticks in the black slots instead? I'd like to be able to buy a sub $35 cooler and the 212 is a great choice.

Thanks.

I think the black slots are the default slots you would put two sticks in. In that case, you won't have any clearance issues, especially with a 212+.

How close is the fitment to your Hyper 212+? Can you take a pic of it?

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on what HSF to buy. So far I'm looking at the Thermaltake Venomous X and the Noctua DH-D14. Leaning towards the Venomous X.

Thanks in advance!

Sure, what fit are you looking at? Please note that while the Hyper 212+ can have two fans, I only have one.

Last edited:
Back