MSI P67A-GD65 LGA1155 Chipset Motherboard Review @ [H]

So the BIOS includes intel IME firmware ?

I.e, I'm not asking about the tool to flash or the BIOS but the IME firmware....

IME is a separate program you install through Windows.

Go to THIS link and click the USA tab. DL it, unzip it, and install it.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that there are separate files, but I could be wrong. Try the earlier firmware first that has the ime fw with it, then update to the newest one, which im not sure contains the ime.

Thanks. I kept looking on the intel site; guess I'm clueless. I'll give it a try when I get home. Hopefully it is already up to date but it seems a bit of an odd beast. From the read me not 100% sure exactly what it manages.
-
Hum this article gives a good overview of IME:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology

Not really sure it is relevant to my issue; also i wonder if it makes the machine more prone to attacks (another vector to by pass kernel protection).
-
Still I should probably update it as a data point with regards to my issue.

Ok I updated all the drivers (most were already up to date) but same result... still shuts off when it enters sleep mode.

Is there a way to disable power on from keyboard. I want to resume from keyboard (and see a bios option for that) but I see no method to disable power up from keyboard

Sadly it does not; my ssd is plugged into intel 6gb port. The problem I have is a bit different; instead of entering sleep mode it turns off (bsod). Let me stress that this is only under load. I.e, if I'm running prime95 when it enters sleep mode. If it is not under load (most of the time) it will go into sleep mode and all is normal. His problem sounds a bit different; it could not recover from sleep mode because some state was being saved and could not be read when the system woke up.
-

just wanted to share my story

bought MSI P67A-GD65 B3 board
installed it yesterday, all worked flawlessly first try, zero issues at all, booted to windows first power on, very stable, very cool temps, and I'm very very happy with my purchase :)

this is after having a lot of issues with an ASUS board which I ended up RMAing

Finally got an RMA response from MSI for a B3 replacement...maybe others already got theirs and I'm late :) Hopefully the new board will be as good as this one...I have had very minor issues and all have been fixed by a bios update. Just hope the luck continues :)

what ram should I get for this board? 2x2gb? cheap? going with it and a 2500k

I went with g.skill rip. cl9 1.5v pc1600; I think they were like $80 for 8GB, 4GB is less than $50. I suspect folks who go with 1.6v have more issues with P67 unless they tinker with the bios; but not enough folks post full stats to prove the statement.

Finally got an RMA response from MSI for a B3 replacement...maybe others already got theirs and I'm late :) Hopefully the new board will be as good as this one...I have had very minor issues and all have been fixed by a bios update. Just hope the luck continues :)

I got mine too.....just emailed them to see if I could do an in-place RMA...don't really want to do without my machine for up to 10 days :(

I got mine too.....just emailed them to see if I could do an in-place RMA...don't really want to do without my machine for up to 10 days :(

That's how I did mine...it finally gets here today..switch it out tomorrow night and send the old back on Monday...hope it clocks as easy as the first one

That's how I did mine...it finally gets here today..switch it out tomorrow night and send the old back on Monday...hope it clocks as easy as the first one

When I originally registered for the RMA, they didn't offer that option. No matter though, I called MSI support today (took a couple days to get through, I think they have like a total of 3 people answering calls!) and they are going to get me set up with an "advance RMA."

Not sure how helpful this would be but here are some clearance measurements
I no longer have this board as I have returned it to the store.

img2021pl.jpg

Thank you for this!

BB

Last edited:
No problem! I wish I could have remembered to take new/better measurements when I got my B3 rev but i was too excited to put it all together lol

Gonna grab the Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B for the build. Looks like a perfect match for no RAM clearance issues.

BB

New bios release today or really soon. I think it is the same as the recent beta.

The E7681IMS.1A0-Final-Release is out. As it is not available on the product pages for the mainboards we are concerned with in here, I will upload it. For those of you, that are already using the E7681IMS.1A6-BETA-Release, don't bother to flash E7681IMS.1A0, because E7681IMS.1A6 and E7681IMS.1A0 are identical [.1A0 is .1A6 re-released with "final" status].

And now let me move on to the changelogs. Changelogs for E7681IMS.1A5 (v1.10b5) and E7681IMS.1A6 (v1.10b6) are still missing. Those will appear in blue letters in the following E7681IMS.190 -> E7681IMS.1A0 overview:

E7681IMS.190 ---> E7681IMS.1A0

- Update CSM Amilegacy16.bin file for fix System cannot enter Win7 32bit after installing Comback recover software(SATA3.0 PORT).
- Add USB3.0 support in legacy mode.
- Fix Multi BIOS watch dog fail in DXE issue.
- Fixed coding error.
- Fix usb mouse(steelseries 62001/Wintek.WM700)Movement Issue and usb mouse (ROCCAT.Kova) can not be detected well in UEFI bios
- Fixed the after update Bios system hang issue.
- Update the Postmsg module.
- Fix SMBIOS type 13 error.
- Fix Lan Disable patch and ATI HD6xxx patch lose efficacy.
- Add F11 solution.
- Correct disable USB Controller cannot into S3/S4.
- Fixed When installing 3TB HDD and then press F11 to select UEFI DVD, the system will hang in blank screen.
- Auto load XMP timing when memory frequency manual mode higher than XMP frequency.
- Adjust CPU voltage.
- Fix the VT-D item can not grayout.
- Fix mouse is abnormal in setup game page.
- Update F75221 module V0.0A.
- Fix the oc profile issue.
- Fix issue no edit box when double click string control.
- Modify some setup string/option.
- Update "Patch memory overclock fail to enable Multi BIOS function issue" solution.
- Support PCB2.1(ERP:15S).
- Change the Package C State limit item default value.
- Add new module, SmiVariable and "ALWAYS_PUBLISH_HII_RESOURCES"=1 for WMI function
- Fixed the system will hang in blank screen when press F11 to select UEFI DVD installing 64Bit OS issue.
- Fix USB mouse(RAZER COPPERHEAD RZ01-050200, RAZER DeathAdder RZ01-0015, RAZER COPPERHEAD RZ01-050100) Movement Issue.
- Fix DRAM Timing not match SPD value.
- Change the Package C State limit item default value.

>>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<, Method II to flash this attached UEFI Release.

you2, I had the same problem, crash (bsod) then shutdown when entering sleep. error wasn't listed in the event log but I happened to catch it as it was happening once.

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR was the thing, and apparently it's a hibernation related error. Even though I had hibernation set to 'never' in Power Config, I had to do some elevated commandline stuff to turn it off completely. After that I never had the problem again. might be worth a shot for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

I agree with Kyle about the BIOS, it sucks visually, and the mouse cursor leaves a copy of itself in the initial position it is in when you go to the BIOS.

As I have a non-K CPU (2600), the best I can do is a 3.9GHz.

Thanks Jim; btw the INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR actually showed up in my event log; just didn't know what it meant. For me the crash only occurs if the system is under load when it hybernates (i.e, running prime95 for example); if it is idle it actually does the right thing. I've looked at the link you posted and will give it a try if i have further issues (most of the time the system is idle when it enters sleep mode so things are 'fine'; but the next time it bsod I'll apply your fix).

you2, I had the same problem, crash (bsod) then shutdown when entering sleep. error wasn't listed in the event log but I happened to catch it as it was happening once.

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR was the thing, and apparently it's a hibernation related error. Even though I had hibernation set to 'never' in Power Config, I had to do some elevated commandline stuff to turn it off completely. After that I never had the problem again. might be worth a shot for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Trying to get a stable overclock with my 2600k and this board. can sum1 explain the msi cpu phase control in the green bios settings? I read up on it, but some ppl say use it for mild overclocks and some say disable it altogether with oclocking? I am just trying to kjepp it at 4.2-4.5, nothing to huge...can sum1 shed sum light on my question? thnx

Hi all.
I just bought this board w/ a 2500K and an H70. For memory, i chose the Corsair XM3 DDR3 2x4gb. I am putting this in an obsidian 800d case and was wondering if there were any "mandatory" settings changes you would recommend? Other than updating the bios to the most current version, anything else you guys have found helpful?

Oh yes, i will also be booting off of a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. Any performance tweaks for windows 7 and ssd on this board?

thanks in advance...

Back