MSI Launches The GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

Case and other cooling matters a lot and things like 144 Hz refresh rate can make the card run at higher idle clocks. In my Fractal Define R3 the MSI idled at around 60°C @ 144 Hz. Didn't try it at 120 Hz where the idle clocks are much lower. With an AIO cooler the temps dropped to 30 @ 120 Hz and were 35-37 at 144.

One thing MSI owners with high temps could try is replacing the thermal paste. On mine it was plastered on with a pretty heavy hand, plenty spilling outside the chip's edges causing a rather messy cleanup.
Yeah but some of these people are at regular clocks and have the fan forced on.

Here is mine with fan off and its about 72 F in my room. My case does have great airflow to the gpu. In fact most of the cases that claim to have great airflow like the Air 540 are actually several degrees worse under load.

Finally managed to drill a hole on the acrylic side panel of my tj07 case, slapped an intake 140mm fan literally almost touching the cards, at half speed temperatures went from 83ºc top card / 77ºc bottom card load to 72/74 load (yeah bottom card warmer :confused: ) if I put the noctua fan to the maximum temps drops a couple ºc more but not worth the noise..

Ambient temperature kinda high too so this will be worst they can get, idle temps around 33 on both gpus fan 0%

Found a way to fry everything even with stock. Worst of all the system didnt shut off for whatever reason. I left valley running all night to warm up the room and forgot to turn it off before work this morning. The card dropped the 1494 clock at some point today and sat on 1342 all day from what i can see at a lovely 98c. Cpu sat around 85 maybe higher (limited logs). And the fucking thing stays on. From what i can tell the clocks stayed on 1342 and AB was reporting voltage limit hit all the time. Weird shit

Edit - little observation i found if it means anything to anyone, at 1494 viltage limit in AB is always 1 and Ultilization limit drops to 0. Thought to post considering previous posts about voltage limit. Still haven't restarted the pc since i found it at 98c, no idea why this thing just didnt crash or throttle down further than 1342.

Last edited:
98c for hours.. at least good to know these cards wont melt easily, at the high temps I could notice the plastic smell but maybe it's because they are new :)

Man i cant get over it. I asked the mrs if she thought the room was a bit hot today and she was like "yeah i thought that that thing was getting hot" and i was like fuuuuccckkk time for a pc training session. Im at a loss as to why it hasnt throttled or crashed let alone catch fire. Cpu just hovered under the 91c max. Lucky i nipped off some volts here and there yesterday.

Well fuck me the cpu block blew open due to the heat. Testament to how hot the 980ti was the coolant just turned to black mush and didnt leak inside the holes on the backplate. Fuck knows how but maybe that bit of sag on the card saved it. Not a drop got on the pcb, just ran off the side slowly and on to the fan below. Im uploading some pics of the card with the coolant on it now. Arwell heatkiller iv getting ordered asap.

Edit - tiny bit got on the pcb through one hole but not over any solders. Thanks to a little heatsink below the cpu on the r4e saved it from getting on the mainboard too.

Link to pics on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/af286b7j4vxa8du/AAAQ4zrsgzuvmxWNlXGNLKeua?dl=0

Last edited:
Well fuck me the cpu block blew open due to the heat. Testament to how hot the 980ti was the coolant just turned to black mush and didnt leak inside the holes on the backplate. Fuck knows how but maybe that bit of sag on the card saved it. Not a drop got on the pcb, just ran off the side slowly and on to the fan below. Im uploading some pics of the card with the coolant on it now. Arwell heatkiller iv getting ordered asap.

Edit - tiny bit got on the pcb through one hole but not over any solders. Thanks to a little heatsink below the cpu on the r4e saved it from getting on the mainboard too.

Link to pics on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/af286b7j4vxa8du/AAAQ4zrsgzuvmxWNlXGNLKeua?dl=0

This is why I went back to stock voltage. My card is running at max 72C. I know I have good airflow when the temperature is the same with the side panel off.

Great chip though, designed for 1000mhz and routinely hit at least 1400 MHz. These cards are all at least 20% faster than a Fury X.

Yeah I was surprised how damn hot the MSI backplate gets with the stock cooler. Any of the previous cards I've had the backplate has done absolutely nothing for cooling.

Backplate is supposed to spread the heat. It should be other fans in the casing that allow it to cool. If it is not happening, imagine what would happen to PCB without the backplate. It is just a heat spreader not an active cooling solution.

Also SsmB_92. Wtf lol.

Yeah but some of these people are at regular clocks and have the fan forced on.

Here is mine with fan off and its about 72 F in my room. My case does have great airflow to the gpu. In fact most of the cases that claim to have great airflow like the Air 540 are actually several degrees worse under load.

Backplate is supposed to spread the heat. It should be other fans in the casing that allow it to cool. If it is not happening, imagine what would happen to PCB without the backplate. It is just a heat spreader not an active cooling solution.

Also SsmB_92. Wtf lol.

Wow 30c at idle . I changed my thermal paste to the best shit on the market and still only was getting 35c and gradually would just increase to 58c. Gaming is a nightmare as the case and processor seem to be working alot harder too cool even when the card is at 80-100 percent fan.

Holy crap batman, I dont think MSI developed a good cooling solution for this graphics card.

Wait... was the 980Ti air cooled and the big temps overheat the rest of your pc cooling?? That's crazy man.. with AIO my 980Ti runs really cool.

Wow 30c at idle . I changed my thermal paste to the best shit on the market and still only was getting 35c and gradually would just increase to 58c. Gaming is a nightmare as the case and processor seem to be working alot harder too cool even when the card is at 80-100 percent fan.

How's your airflow? Aim for more outflow fan than inflo (negative pressure) to rid the case of heat build up. Otherwise, temperature will increase over time as you game.

How's your airflow? Aim for more outflow fan than inflo (negative pressure) to rid the case of heat build up. Otherwise, temperature will increase over time as you game.

airflow is great
2 couger 120mm up from to cool the HDDs one in the back for exhaust, 2 120mm sucking air on the top of the case for the rad
The 760t case is quite large. My gtx 980s stay at 44-46c at stock , no fan profile. So yeah either my card is faulty or the GTX 980 ti has thermal issues , or it could be poor QC on MSI part. Warped heatsink perhaps?

Ive never had this problem before, also ive only just reinstalled the side panel since i got the card, although the temps didnt change at all, only when i made a slightly customised fan curve. I was also at stock volts on the 980ti, 1.375 on the cpu.

Well im going to build a new case with a proper pump, fuck thermaltake. Anyone got a good suggestion on a full tower that can mount a 360 rad up top with good airflow? Push pull preferred on the rad. Id like to mount an EK XTX 360 with a swiftech MCP35x2 with a heatkiller iv. Ill use aerocool dead silence (1500rpm 81cfm) fans for their great pressure and silence, unless someone knows better.

And also, @Unreal CPU - my card idles at 40c most of the time @ 120hz. Just for comparison. And curious, you mentioned you got 5800+ score on Valley? Only ever achieved 4257 @1494/3758 myself.

I did a stress test on my just installed one,it can run Hitman Absolution smooth for four hours,all max with 8x aa,1600p in this 92f temperature room with no problem presented,quietly
tough like me,no crash

I did a stress test on my just installed one,it can run Hitman Absolution smooth for four hours,all max with 8x aa,1600p in this 92f temperature room with no problem presented,quietly
tough like me,no crash
Even on those settings, Hitman Absolution is not a very demanding benchmark.

And um 92 F in your room? I sure as hell would not be spending money on high end gaming parts with those miserable temperatures.

Yeah if someone beats my valley score, kudos (almost 4,900) I doubt 5,900 is possible (1080p).

Last edited:
Soon as i set mine to quality setting in cp 4200 became the score to beat. Arwell at least i know my card can hit boiling point quite literally for some time without breaking.

Anyone got an opinion on the NZXT Phantom cases? Maybe spcifically the 820? Cant afford the Caselabs Mercury SM8 but this one looks okay for the water setup.

I was also told this doesn't make a diff performance or quality. I left clock speed in there as it was relevant. Rerunning now.

Guess it matters a bit, still scored 4,500 though. Stability was less, so I'd have to test it more.

Last edited:
Guess it matters a bit, still scored 4,500 though. Stability was less, so I'd have to test it more.

Quality on both AO and textures? Maybe my pc was fucking up badly if i was only getting 4257. Im sure i saw somewhere that people were struggling to get 4400. But wait, you had yours on 1550 right?

Just finished stripping my case, bloody acetal barb blew clean off and was only being held by a little rubber o ring so that was nothing short of a miracle but considering the weak pump at 2600 rpm lol. Theres a mount where the radiator was up top for a 220mm which i could take off the front intake and just whack my spare frio ock cooler on but i dont have the right nuts to mount the top fan so ill just wait for the nzxt phantom 820.

Im glad MSI has such a nice PCB, looks like it got some matte black paint or something, stopped the little drops that got in from shorting it anyway.

So overclocked the card a bit and finished firestrike

GTX 980s TI x2 overclocked

GTX 980s x2 overclocked

I expected more what do you think ?

Doesnt seem like a great deal even after i sell my 980s i would be in the hole about 450 bucks

Sent you a pm regarding the kraken x61. Ive ordered the phantom 820 and a few noctua fans, also very much considering the g10 for this card given your clocks.

The mounting holes uses reference size right? I forgot to measure them before RMA. :(

Back