MSI K9A2 Platinum @ [H]

I think Mega666 is right.... I forgot I had four 16X slots.

So Bungholio what kind of 1X device are you going to use and why in a 16X slot? just curious in case I get some bright idea later. Right now my 1X slot is unused and unblocked, all I have noticed that might use it are PCI Express sound cards

I was just curious. There was no mention in any literature I have read regarding if it mattered whether the card was an x1 or x4....or if it only applied to x16 video cards. There are x1 RAID cards available, gb lan cards, SATA add in cards, sound cards, and some others like expresscard adapters.

Anyway, I have a MSI K9A2 Plat on the way along with a Phenom 9950 black edition, and 4gb of ram. I guess I am just an AMD loyalist. I was also looking at an Intel Q8200 and Asus P5Q pro, but went with the AMD set. If this works out well I may have a lightly used ASUS a8r32mvp del and 4800+ 1m x 1m cache chip and 2gb ram for sale if anyone is interested. ;)

I have had a 790X board for a year and the Platinum since New Year's (Dec 29) and it is my top machine at the moment. [H]ard to believe I have left it alone for eleven months, I would like to upgrade to a 9950, but I would not have a place for my 6400 to go.... I will likely wait for a Phenom II due out late January

Has anyone experienced problems with the SATA controllers on this mobo? I have had hard drives disappear between boot ups. Strangely they would reappear on one or another boot attempts and work fine. I tried switching cables and ensuring they were connected securely, used new cables, changed ports but it still has issues with the a drive vanishing. Also it seems to not want to recognize anything connected to port 2 and 4, and nothing ever on 5, 6. I have the promise RAID controller turned on in the bios so it should detect drives attached to ports 5 and 6, but no. Just tonight I had 2 drives up and running fine, on ports 1 and 3 but after a reboot only one drive, with the OS, was detected. I am sure the drives are good because they were functioning fine over the last few days but they would then vanish from the OS. I guess I should say "not detected during boot" to be more precise. OS is Vista 64 Home Prem. This is a fresh install and build.

9950 BE
4GB ram
Seagate SATA drive 120gb, and 320gb
Nvidia 8800gts 512

I haven't had that problem and I am using BIOS revision 1.2. It could be because I only have one hard drive, Or maybe that I am using Vista 64.

Has anyone experienced problems with the SATA controllers on this mobo? I have had hard drives disappear between boot ups. Strangely they would reappear on one or another boot attempts and work fine. I tried switching cables and ensuring they were connected securely, used new cables, changed ports but it still has issues with the a drive vanishing. Also it seems to not want to recognize anything connected to port 2 and 4, and nothing ever on 5, 6. I have the promise RAID controller turned on in the bios so it should detect drives attached to ports 5 and 6, but no. Just tonight I had 2 drives up and running fine, on ports 1 and 3 but after a reboot only one drive, with the OS, was detected. I am sure the drives are good because they were functioning fine over the last few days but they would then vanish from the OS. I guess I should say "not detected during boot" to be more precise. OS is Vista 64 Home Prem. This is a fresh install and build.

9950 BE
4GB ram
Seagate SATA drive 120gb, and 320gb
Nvidia 8800gts 512

I never had this problem during my testing and I used an earlier BIOS version than you guys are using now. (If I recall correctly.)

The computer is now up and running fine--so it seems. It appears some people are experiencing many problems with this chipset and SATA drives, especially when attempting to use RAID. Mine is now up and running with the SATA controller set to IDE, I was not attempting to use RAID, I had set it on RAID to enable AHCI. I have 2 120gb drives and a 320gb drive, all SATA. The strange part is in IDE mode I can only get 2 drives recognized during boot, on sata port 1 and 3. 2 or 4 will never show a drive. The Promise controller has never detected a drive:the best it did was grinding away at detecting and finally stating "you have a hardware problem" and stalling. My previous motherboard had 4 SATA ports and they detected all 3 drives correctly; 3rd master, 4th master, and 5th master. The final result last night was the 320 was not dtected regardless of where it was connected;I thought the drive may be bad but I checked it today via a USB adapter and it functioned perfectly. I say there is something fishy with the chipset and not necessarily Vista since the detection issues are prior to the OS loading.

I might ask a question or 2 on the other forums where people are complaining about this chipset but the posts are months old. One question though; Has anyone tried a SATA expansion card for either pci or pci-x1? If so does it detect all the drives when booting? I am considering this course of action and just disabling the onboard SATA controllers entirely. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this route?

Back