MSI k8n neo2 chipset thermal paste.

imperator

n00b
msik8neo2.jpg

The fan died on my MSI board, so i took it off to replace it. Just had to take a picture of this amazing thermal paste application they did at the MSI plant.

lol wow that is a FANTASTIC job. I'm surprised, really. I tend to see companies put WAYYYY too much on and make a huge mess.

Woah!

For like 2 months i've been wanting to change the heatsink/fan on my Neo2. Now i definitely have to rip it off to at least check.

Doesn't surprise me. There was a lot of talk about this around the forums about a year and a half ago when these first came out. That's a pitiful job they did with the thermal paste :)

What are you going to replace the fan with? I've been looking around for a low profile heatsink and haven't found any that are suitable yet :(

oh man, thats hilarious. i wonder if i would have seen the same thing on my neo2 had i pulled off the fan.

icepik said:
What are you going to replace the fan with? I've been looking around for a low profile heatsink and haven't found any that are suitable yet :(
use the big ol' zalman passive cooler, just trim it accordingly to your video card.

I tilted a passive zalman cooler to make it fit with my 6800gt, didnt have to cut anything off it. (as it has those slideable clip ons)

thats pretty funny considering my old Neo2 had quite the opposite amount of thermal paste on it, it took me a good 15 minutes to get it all off with rubbing alcohol...

Well, my k8n neo2's fan just died today so I come to the forums too see if I can find a suggestion for a replacement, and find a whole thread. Anyway, what I had been initially looking at was something like a replacement video card chipset sink along these lines:

http://www.newegg.com/product/Produ...=VANTEC+IceBerq+CCB-A1A+Sleeve+VGA+Cooler+Kit

It would appear to be the right size, but I would like to know if the mounting holes have at least a 1 in 100 chance to line up, as I've seen these sorts of things zip-tied to the motherboard before. Could anyone link the zalman that everyones been talking about?

Back