MSI GX680 Gaming Laptop Unleashed

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI is rolling out its new generation GX680 notebook computer featuring the Intel® second generation Core™ i7 quad core processor, the high-end nVidia GeForce GT 555M discrete graphics card, 4 DDR3 memory slots, accelerated dual hard disk architecture, and ultimate smart wrap around sound experience courtesy of Dynaudio, THX TruStudio Pro.

Taipei—Clumsy desktop PCs are out and notebooks are in. MSI has unveiled the new generation GX680 NB featuring Intel's second generation Core™ i7 quad core processor, the DirectX 11-supporting nVidia GeForce GT 555M discrete graphics card, four DDR3 memory slots, and accelerated dual hard disk architecture, packing the punch of a desktop PC into a highly portable laptop.

not much of one. The 555m is weak stuff relative to what they used to put in the 6-- series laptops.

this. rumor has it that Nvidia is getting killed on the power side of things here and has basically offered the OEM some very nice deals in attempt to prevent any market share bleed. here is a rough idea of the performance http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html

should be decent if not the best battery life for the power (usually not that big of an issue if your buying a laptop like this)

I have a similar laptop, the Acer Aspire Ethos series are fantastic. 18.4" screen, quad core, ATI 5650 video card, bluray etc. Very useful until I buy a new office chair, I can't sit in front of my desktop.

I have a similar laptop, the Acer Aspire Ethos series are fantastic. 18.4" screen, quad core, ATI 5650 video card, bluray etc. Very useful until I buy a new office chair, I can't sit in front of my desktop.

Similar situation. My destop was stolen and I run a HP dv7-4xxx series with the same ATI 5650. 1" smaller screen is great on the go but when running 2ea external 1650x1080 monitors it's just barely adequete for FPS.

not much of one. The 555m is weak stuff relative to what they used to put in the 6-- series laptops.

Also MSIs tend to be a good price. I got my GX640 for like $1100. Not as powerful (Core i5, 5850M) but still not bad.

Totally whips Macbooks like none other.. for cheaper and more bang per buck.

Load up Linux, configure it to look like Mac, and hazah!

Wow, I've been waiting for the SB-based laptops to come back out and so far, I'm sort of disappointed. I have a MSI GT825 now, and it's been a pretty good all around laptop with decent gaming punch. That Notebookcheck link makes the 555 look like a dog for 1920x1080 gaming. Perhaps the new 7-series MSI's will have something better (ATI?).

Typo: Currently have a GT725, not 825

Wow, I've been waiting for the SB-based laptops to come back out and so far, I'm sort of disappointed. I have a MSI GT825 now, and it's been a pretty good all around laptop with decent gaming punch. That Notebookcheck link makes the 555 look like a dog for 1920x1080 gaming. Perhaps the new 7-series MSI's will have something better (ATI?).

If this is a GF1xx variant I can't see much longevity for a notebook unless it's horribly underclocked which makes it on par with a 590 in a desktop.

I think ATI probably has the notebook market for now as far a performance goes. My Asus G72 has a 260GTX and I think that's as good as you're going to get in Nvidia world for now when power, performance and heat are considered.

MSI is rolling out its new generation GX680 notebook computer featuring the Intel® second generation Core™ i7 quad core processor, the high-end nVidia GeForce GT 555M discrete graphics card, 4 DDR3 memory slots, accelerated dual hard disk architecture, and ultimate smart wrap around sound experience courtesy of Dynaudio, THX TruStudio Pro.

Taipei—Clumsy desktop PCs are out and notebooks are in.

My $900 desktop PC that "clumsily" fits in my home entertainment center would run circles around that. And there is nothing more clumsy than playing a PC game on a laptop, especially without and add-on mouse.

Back