MSI doesn't cross ship on RMAs?

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
I just had one of the fans fail on my MSI Twin Frozr II R6950 (just under a year old). I setup an RMA with MSI's online form and just got a RMA ticket in my email. The thing is, there is no mention of the possibility of cross-shipping the video card. Since most PCs are useless without a GFX card installed this seems very odd to me, especially considering every other vendor I've used for GFX cards in the past crossed shipped on RMAs for video cards.

Anyone here familiar with MSI and if there is some way to get a cross-shipment setup?

Contact them and they may do it. It depends if they have a replacement ready on hand.

I just had one of the fans fail on my MSI Twin Frozr II R6950 (just under a year old). I setup an RMA with MSI's online form and just got a RMA ticket in my email. The thing is, there is no mention of the possibility of cross-shipping the video card. Since most PCs are useless without a GFX card installed this seems very odd to me, especially considering every other vendor I've used for GFX cards in the past crossed shipped on RMAs for video cards.

Anyone here familiar with MSI and if there is some way to get a cross-shipment setup?

MSI does, in fact, cross-ship. You must set it up when you initiate your RMA.

When I initiated the RMA for my mobo I asked about cross-shipping and they said they had no problems cross shipping since I asked beforehand.

I sent an email to their customer service asking about cross-shipping just after submitting the RMA, but I haven't heard back yet.

Bloody hell...

Hello,

We’re sorry but we do not have your model in stock at the moment to provide cross-shipment services. You will need to send this to us by standard RMA procedure. Thank you.

MSI Customer Service
MSI Computer Corp. | Tel: 1-626-271-1004 Option 2 | Fax: 626-913-0818

So send revision 3 of the Frozr or whatever the closest thing you've got is and charge me the difference if you must. I sent a politely worded FU back and asked for a supervisor. It's their failed hardware and it's still under warranty :rolleyes:
Definitely not going to use MSI as a GPU vendor twice because of the above nonsense.

Mini-rant follows, feel free to skip:

I moved away from Nvidia GPUs in general because they didn't have a reasonable 2GB card out at the time and the HDMI bitstreaming capability of the 6950 was going to be useful to me. Last time I had an ATI/AMD card was my Radeon 9800pro, and the drivers were terrible for it. You'd update your driver and break one game to fix another and get visual glitches in a third. I then went back to the Nvidia camp and found their drivers to be superior, used them through a GTX 260 before I decided to get ATI/AMD another try due to their aggressive pricing and copious memory on board their cards. I figured that in the years intervening they'd have a chance to get their act together with the drivers... but I was WRONG. They have no per-game profiles, you need 3rd party software for that. And this is important because if you do something silly like force AA with an AMD card you'll get nothing but black screens or corruption in quite a number of games until you turn it off. At least with the Nvidia drivers and GPUs I was using if you forced AA the worst you could expect was a performance hit and no visual improvement if the AA wasn't "right" for the game... and with the per-game profiles you could usually tweak it so that it worked anyway. I have a number of little annoyances with AMD drivers/cards that I didn't have with Nvidia's. I'm definitely going back to Nvidia for the next upgrade since it seems they've added HD-Audio bitstreaming to their latest cards.

Last edited:
Bloody hell...

So send revision 3 of the Frozr or whatever the closest thing you've got is and charge me the difference if you must. I sent a politely worded FU back and asked for a supervisor. It's their failed hardware and it's still under warranty :rolleyes:
Definitely not going to use MSI as a GPU vendor twice because of the above nonsense.

Mini-rant follows, feel free to skip:

I moved away from Nvidia GPUs in general because they didn't have a reasonable 2GB card out at the time and the HDMI bitstreaming capability of the 6950 was going to be useful to me. Last time I had an ATI/AMD card was my Radeon 9800pro, and the drivers were terrible for it. You'd update your driver and break one game to fix another and get visual glitches in a third. I then went back to the Nvidia camp and found their drivers to be superior, used them through a GTX 260 before I decided to get ATI/AMD another try due to their aggressive pricing and copious memory on board their cards. I figured that in the years intervening they'd have a chance to get their act together with the drivers... but I was WRONG. They have no per-game profiles, you need 3rd party software for that. And this is important because if you do something silly like force AA with an AMD card you'll get nothing but black screens or corruption in quite a number of games until you turn it off. At least with the Nvidia drivers and GPUs I was using if you forced AA the worst you could expect was a performance hit and no visual improvement if the AA wasn't "right" for the game... and with the per-game profiles you could usually tweak it so that it worked anyway. I have a number of little annoyances with AMD drivers/cards that I didn't have with Nvidia's. I'm definitely going back to Nvidia for the next upgrade since it seems they've added HD-Audio bitstreaming to their latest cards.
No offense, but if they don't have your model in stock, they don't have it in stock. I hope you politely requested that they send you a different model and that you were willing to pay the difference if necessary, rather than immediately going on the offensive and acting like a dick. Most companies won't cross ship in the first place.

Secondly, the lack of game profiles was slightly annoying, but just install RadeonPro and forget about it. That tool works amazingly well and has a light footprint. Every company has driver problems. NVIDIA still hasn't fixed The Witcher having issues with SLI, and that game is how old now?

I didnt know MSI cross shipped, looks like thats another reason why I liked them. It's unfortunate that they do not have your card in stock. Hopefuly they will refund you or substitute it, or maybe offer for you to upgrade to a 7970 :) lol

No offense, but if they don't have your model in stock, they don't have it in stock. I hope you politely requested that they send you a different model and that you were willing to pay the difference if necessary, rather than immediately going on the offensive and acting like a dick.

...I sent a politely worded...

Yes I suggested all of this, nicely. The problem is I shouldn't have had to. A customer oriented company will make sure their product's failure doesn't unduly inconvenience their paying customers. So I'm going back to EVGA (who do cross-ship) and Nvidia (which work better in general for me). I gave the latest and greatest AMD cards a fair shake and they came up short compared to what I had with Nvidia.

As aside note, it's also a bit funny because my 9800pro also kicked it due to a fan failure. You'd think we'd have fans pretty well bulletproof by now.

Last edited:
Yes I suggested all of this, nicely. The problem is I shouldn't have had to. A customer oriented company will make sure their product's failure doesn't unduly inconvenience their paying customers. So I'm going back to EVGA (who do cross-ship) and Nvidia (which work better in general for me). I gave the latest and greatest AMD cards a fair shake and they came up short compared to what I had with Nvidia.

You are heated at this moment,which is understandable. But at the same time, it was a fan that failed, not the card, and they do not have your part in stock. If you ship them the card and they receive and and STILL dont have the card in stock, then they will either refund you the price you paid or give you a really good deal. They are customer oriented, just not in your case right now lol

If you think that's in any way heated, I'd hate to see you get in an argument with someone who has a real temper ;)

I'm definitely annoyed with their handling of it. It is their responsibility to maintain availability of products under warranty or provide a reasonable substitution. This thread could be helpful to anyone that doesn't keep spare graphics cards laying around; they'll know ahead of time that they CANNOT rely on MSI to come through for them if they have a failure, even in warranty.

I had a fan go out on a MSI 5870 and shipped it back normal RMA. The day after they received it they emailed me and said they didn't have any regular 5870s on hand and would I accept a 5870 Lightning. Needless to say I accepted the Lightning and had it 3 days later. Overall the RMA took less than 10 days total.

I'd send it to them and you'll probably get something better in return.

I have 2 MSI 480's in SLI, knock on wood they are going strong. They are about a year old now but once a month I clean all the dust bunnies. Whats the standard warranty on MSI cards btw?

I thought the 12.1 preview drivers offer per game custom profiles?

I gave the latest and greatest AMD cards a fair shake and they came up short compared to what I had with Nvidia.

As aside note, it's also a bit funny because my 9800pro also kicked it due to a fan failure. You'd think we'd have fans pretty well bulletproof by now.

Sorry for your bad luck, i've had many ATI cards (including a 9800 pro) and have yet to have a fan problem.

I don't think they do, I had to pay for my RMA...

image1.jpg

I asked for my RMA ticket to be forwarded to a manager at the beginning of the week and I asked for confirmation that this happened mid-week. I haven't heard a peep back.

Back