• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

MSI Confirms Breach

erek

8=D
2FA
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
18,298
Another day another breach. Hopefully their most valuable asset which is Afterburner hasn’t been compromised

“MSI says users should avoid downloading firmware and BIOS updates from third-party sources, and instead only obtain such software from the company's official website.

The statement suggests MSI is worried hackers could circulate malicious versions of the company's BIOS software when the ransomware gang, Money Message, claims it stole the PC maker's source code.”

1680883865917.png


Source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/msi-confirms-breach-as-ransomware-gang-claims-responsibility
 
Oh no, they hacked Lucky! ;-)

I know for many months it was nearly impossible to reach Gigabyte's servers to download BIOS files due to whatever issues they were having but I would NEVER get a BIOS file from an unknown, untrusted source. That is just asking for trouble.
 
if someone is still downloading shit from third party and unreputable source lord help them lmao. I dont even download drivers from vidoecards cuz my OCD directs me to be extra careful.
 
only obtain such software from the company's official website
well D.U.H.

Since when has this ever not been the best way, at least for most things that are built & maintained by the parent company ?
 
if someone is still downloading shit from third party and unreputable source lord help them lmao. I dont even download drivers from vidoecards cuz my OCD directs me to be extra careful.
could GPU-Z BIOS Upload function be an unwitting attack vector to stuff malware up there?

how's the TPU API's authenticating uploads?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
 
could GPU-Z BIOS Upload function be an unwitting attack vector to stuff malware up there?

how's the TPU API's authenticating uploads?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

This is true. I haven't done this for a while but you are right someone could really use that site to upload malware and shit to vga bios lmao. Didn't cross my mind cuz I haven't done that in a good bit probably 5-6 years now. Made me definitely think lmao. IDK I doubt TPU invest that much in to monitoring uploads or if they use third party server that host the files.
 
On the plus side, this may open up some extra overclocking possibilities, through BIOS modding.
 
Back
Top