MSI Announces The X99A GAMING PRO CARBON

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI is proud to announce the latest X99 Performance GAMING motherboard, the X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, world’s first motherboard offering front USB 3.1 Type-C. This new motherboard has been built from the ground up and has a completely new design for its heavy plated heatsinks and covers, based on the latest CARBON look & feel. Besides this totally new design, the X99A GAMING PRO CARBON motherboard also comes packed with several new and unique MSI features such as new Mystic Light with smartphone control over WIFI including a Mystic Light extension RGB cable and pin header. Onboard Turbo U.2 is present to support the latest and greatest SSDs available in the market supporting NVMe. DDR4 Boost is accompanied by DDR4 Steel Armor to ensure the best memory performance. The X99A GAMING PRO CARBON is the first X99 model featuring Game Boost with 8 gears up to 5GHz of one-second-overlocking! Last but not least, this model has been designed and optimized for next-generation Intel ‘Broadwell-E(P)’ processors. So whether looking for extreme performance or endless customization, the new X99A GAMING PRO CARBON is sure to deliver.

Well, it looks like ASRock is the last one to announce any kind of refresh or new board for Broadwell-E. Any news from them on any new boards coming.

MSI is proud to announce the latest X99 Performance GAMING motherboard, the X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, world’s first motherboard offering front USB 3.1 Type-C.
I guess they forgot to check the competition, this has been out since last August or earlier.
ASRock > Z170 Extreme4+

In the diagram it states USB 3.1 front panel - USB 3.1 Type A+C.
It has another on the rear.
I had one, it does.

Other ASRock boards may have it as well.

Any news on a workstation club motherboard refresh? I am planning a new workstation build based on the X99 platform and have not read any news about such boards refreshed for Broadwell-E.

Any news on a workstation club motherboard refresh? I am planning a new workstation build based on the X99 platform and have not read any news about such boards refreshed for Broadwell-E.

What features do you need that the gaming or generic boards don't support?

I've got two X99 boards here that both seem like they'd be perfectly adequate for workstation use, base on their features.

It is not a matter of features only (such as ECC memory, SAS or XEON support) , but the fact that WS boards by Asus are exactly designed for stability and longevity (better capacitors). At least they are supposed too and 2 older ones I have (1 is10 years old) still work today rock solid.

I also prefer the 7 16X PCIE slots (4X at 16X speed simultaneously). It is really strange that they have not even announced an updated BIOS for Broadwell but I think that I read somewhere that it will come. I guess more testing is conducted due to the workstation classification.

I am also referring to the flagship WS board.

It is not a matter of features only (such as ECC memory, SAS or XEON support) , but the fact that WS boards by Asus are exactly designed for stability and longevity (better capacitors). At least they are supposed too and 2 older ones I have (1 is10 years old) still work today rock solid.

I also prefer the 7 16X PCIE slots (4X at 16X speed simultaneously). It is really strange that they have not even announced an updated BIOS for Broadwell but I think that I read somewhere that it will come. I guess more testing is conducted due to the workstation classification.

I am also referring to the flagship WS board.
Both the MSI and Gigabyte boards that I have had a bios update released a few weeks ago to "support latest processor." I would assume (but obviously can't confirm) that this "latest processor" is Broadwell-EP.

It should be Broadwell, what else after all.

Well, when I am about to buy a CPU-MB-RAM "combo" I will open a thread. Meanwhile I am saving and intend to buy all the other parts first. I already have a Coolermaster Cosmos 2 (brand new) sitting idle and will soon get watercooling parts for that build. I intend to go with an external big radiator like the MORA Pro. So once I have everything I will get the CPU/MB/RAM which will be after the summer.

Just got my X99A Sli Plus on Wednesday and really happy with it. Has USB 3.1 also but not for the front.

Im confused in whats different in this and the Godlike Gaming Carbon other then the very slight aesthetic change.

Back