MSI 990FXA-GD65 crazy temps

SticKx911

2[H]4U
I'm sure there isn't an answer here, but I'm not sure what to do. I've been trying to stretch out my upgrade cycle with a little overclocking, but I don't know which temps to trust to work from.

I have a mobo temp that always shows 110c+ which I doubt is correct. I've upgraded cooling throughout the build and that number never drops.

I have a w/c loop that includes a fx4100 and a gtx480. My 480 never posts temps above 60c including a decent OC and burn in.

My cpu on the other hand shows idle temps of 16C sometimes, even when ambiant is 6 or so degrees higher. When I was cranking it up yesterday it was showing 25C, but it wouldn't really change or show anything different during load which is not possible no matter how good I cool. lol

I have done a BIOS update, but no avail.

temps2_zps5aadab41.jpg

Last edited:
another random occurrence, every 1 out of three boots, my OC wont boot...but, when it does, it's 100% stable for hours at full load...so I can't say its an unstable OC to a degree, just an annoying mobo.

Thank You!!!!

well, I'll just budget for a new board. Looks like demise is eminent.

The VRM would be right next to the 8pin right? or mixed in with the moffsets?

Thank You!!!!

well, I'll just budget for a new board. Looks like demise is eminent.

The VRM would be right next to the 8pin right? or mixed in with the moffsets?

The VRM is considered to be an entire area that contains a master chip, the mofsets, chokes and inductor. So you need to cool all that. It should all be "above" the CPU (towards the I/o shield). A series of chokes (big squares) and mofsets (little black chips). The PWM chip should be near there somewhere, so if you arrange a fan to blow, it should "hit" them all. In higher end boards, it's where they have heatsinks.

Last edited:
wow that is a long list of basicly MSI boards.

There is a logical explanation for everything.

VRM Over-Current Protection

Over Current Protection (OCP) is something I have recently been examining. Protection features exist against VRM overheating/overloading depending on motherboard model and brand. I believe it is a crucial feature on motherboards today, because this is the function that will protect your VRMs from a catastrophic failure. This is why I have never seen ASUS boards fail even if people take a lowly 3+1 ASUS boards and try to overclock a Phenom II x6 on it; ASUS boards feature this technology, as it is a part of the PWM controller design.

OCP can work in various ways; one of the ways it works is it downclocks the CPU speed & voltage - via cool'n'quiet or it's own function - if the VRM temperatures are detected as too high (similar to if CPU temps are too high), until they can recuperate and lower in temperature. As a result, it can reduce performance during a full load scenario. It is also how ASUS gets away with rating a few select 3+1 phase AMD motherboards at 125W, though at times the OCP may kick in too often at load even at stock speed/stock cooler and the rating would've been slightly improper for the board (there are few if any 3+1 phase boards ready for 125W processors).

Another common way is a full board shutdown; if MOSFETs are overloaded suddenly to the point where immediate shutdown is needed for protection (i.e. beginning an OCCT run on a 3+1 power phase on a Phenom II x6 OC'ed and at 1.5V), then OCP will kick in and the board will shut down to protect itself. ASRock boards and some Gigabyte boards are known for this.

But some motherboards do not feature any sort of OCP. OCN members and I have found that most recent MSI AMD boards feature NO protection of any sort against VRM failure/over current/over temperature, and this is likely why a majority of the catastrophic failures in the horror stories list are MSI boards. At the moment I and others have been trying to find out which brands/specific motherboards do use over current protection, and we are listing them down for future reference. Once that is done, take it at heart to purchase a board with OCP for your own safety and for the best confidence in overclocking.

http://www.overclock.net/a/about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-with-high-tdp-processors

MSI's answer to the problem was what the OP describes.

This is also a useful link of what motherboard one should buy or not, according to rate of risk.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Back