MSI 990FXA-GD65 crazy temps

Discussion in 'AMD MoBos' started by SticKx911, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SticKx911

SticKx911 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm sure there isn't an answer here, but I'm not sure what to do. I've been trying to stretch out my upgrade cycle with a little overclocking, but I don't know which temps to trust to work from.

I have a mobo temp that always shows 110c+ which I doubt is correct. I've upgraded cooling throughout the build and that number never drops.

I have a w/c loop that includes a fx4100 and a gtx480. My 480 never posts temps above 60c including a decent OC and burn in.

My cpu on the other hand shows idle temps of 16C sometimes, even when ambiant is 6 or so degrees higher. When I was cranking it up yesterday it was showing 25C, but it wouldn't really change or show anything different during load which is not possible no matter how good I cool. lol

I have done a BIOS update, but no avail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. SticKx911

SticKx911 [H]ard|Gawd

another random occurrence, every 1 out of three boots, my OC wont boot...but, when it does, it's 100% stable for hours at full load...so I can't say its an unstable OC to a degree, just an annoying mobo.

3. Faethon

Faethon [H]ard|Gawd

4. Faethon

Faethon [H]ard|Gawd

5. SticKx911

SticKx911 [H]ard|Gawd

Thank You!!!!

well, I'll just budget for a new board. Looks like demise is eminent.

The VRM would be right next to the 8pin right? or mixed in with the moffsets?

6. Faethon

Faethon [H]ard|Gawd

The VRM is considered to be an entire area that contains a master chip, the mofsets, chokes and inductor. So you need to cool all that. It should all be "above" the CPU (towards the I/o shield). A series of chokes (big squares) and mofsets (little black chips). The PWM chip should be near there somewhere, so if you arrange a fan to blow, it should "hit" them all. In higher end boards, it's where they have heatsinks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  7. Faethon

Faethon [H]ard|Gawd

8. SticKx911

SticKx911 [H]ard|Gawd

wow that is a long list of basicly MSI boards.

9. Faethon

Faethon [H]ard|Gawd

There is a logical explanation for everything.

MSI's answer to the problem was what the OP describes.

This is also a useful link of what motherboard one should buy or not, according to rate of risk.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database