MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I cancelled and went for the BB deal. Been enjoying the BFG for a week now. I think MSI really screwed Dell with this deal.

Got an automated call from dell pushing my order out to the 26th. I had an option to cancel through the phone call and did so. I'll wait for the next series coming out in Feb.

I don't think MSI has shipped any besides a handful so far. All the other retailers that were also selling MSI's at this price also have yet to receive their stock either (only think ClubIT has shipped).

The MSI 8800GT exists. newegg had them for a while and I received my 2 from shopblt.com ($242/ea) on 12/14, from a 11/21 order.

I agree they're going to the high bidders first. Dell probably sold these $208 MSIs at zero or negative profit and is now stalling until their costs drop enough to provide a worthwhile profit. They will probably reach $200 on ebay by the time Dell ships, but, for now, I am keeping my Dell order for 2 more

Mine was ordered on the 25, cancelled today and ordered up the Galaxy 8800GT from ncix.com for $244 instead.

I canceled this shit too. I'm done dealing with Dell's shenanigans and will be picking up a BFG 8800gt tomorrow at Best Buy.

Very simple situation guys.

Dell took too many orders of an item that can sell for about 50% more.

So it's going to keep delaying the orders until they can ship a small batch to cover their asses.

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have them and are just waiting until enough cancel to fulfill the order. And I also wouldn't be surprised if they inch the delays until Feb.

was just about to cancel the dell order then order the galaxy card, registered and everything.. was just about to checkout untill i found out they dont accept US credit cards... now im just sad gunna miss most my vacation w.o a computer.... maybe all of my vacation because of dell.

was just about to cancel the dell order then order the galaxy card, registered and everything.. was just about to checkout untill i found out they dont accept US credit cards... now im just sad gunna miss most my vacation w.o a computer.... maybe all of my vacation because of dell.

No, not because of Dell, because of you and your decisions.

12/12/2007 03:17:06PM Agent (SUP H_K): "Thank you so much for staying on the line and I am the Manager on the floor."
12/12/2007 03:17:15PM Agent (SUP H_K): "How are you doing today ?"
12/12/2007 03:17:37PM : "I am doing well, other than the issue that has recently come up with my order from Dell."
12/12/2007 03:19:18PM Agent (SUP H_K): "I understand that your order has been delayed and you are little unsatisfied about the situation."
12/12/2007 03:19:27PM : "That is correct."
12/12/2007 03:19:51PM Agent (SUP H_K): "We are trying our best to get the order on time."
12/12/2007 03:19:55PM : "The issue has been escalating since the order was placed"
12/12/2007 03:20:04PM Agent (SUP Harjeet_Kukreja): "I know that."
12/12/2007 03:20:12PM : "It is too late for the order to arrive on time sir."
12/12/2007 03:20:39PM Agent (SUP H_K): "I understand that it is difficult for us to get the order on time."
12/12/2007 03:20:42PM : "On time would have meant 3-4 days after the day I placed the order - which is what the Dell ordering website showed at the time I placed the order"
12/12/2007 03:21:06PM : "I own a Dell machine at home, a good one that I like very much."
12/12/2007 03:21:30PM : "Unfortunately the video card has failed and I ordered this one to have my system up and running"
12/12/2007 03:21:32PM Agent (SUP H_K): "We have a very huge demand of this particular item that is the reason the order has been delayed."
12/12/2007 03:22:09PM : "I can understand that. I was offered an upgrade by a representative last week, and I told them I would ask again if the order wasn't arranged for the 12 of this month"
12/12/2007 03:22:28PM n: "They also moved my order to overnight for the trouble."
12/12/2007 03:22:58PM Agent (SUP H_K): "I have already advised my rep to offer you a concession of $25.00 for the delay in the order."
12/12/2007 03:23:27PM Agent (SUP H_K): "This is the best what we can do from our end at this point of time."
12/12/2007 03:23:48PM Agent (SUP H_K): "Being a manager I will also send the request from my end to expedite the order."
12/12/2007 03:24:03PM : "How was it possible to offer me an upgrade last week?"
12/12/2007 03:25:07PM Agent (SUP H_K): "What upgrade were you informed about ?"
12/12/2007 03:25:32PM : "The person walked me through different cards, from 8800GTS"
12/12/2007 03:25:42PM : "to 8800GTX"
12/12/2007 03:26:54PM : "However, they were backordered as well. I told the representative that I would only accept an upgrade or replacement if my current order could not be shipped on time"
12/12/2007 03:28:16PM Agent (SUP H_K): "In that case we will have to cancel this order and we will have to place a new order with 8800GTX and you can pay the amount that you have paid for this order and we will waive off rest of the amount."
12/12/2007 03:28:33PM : "What is the difference?"
12/12/2007 03:28:48PM : "I see now, yes that is what I want"
12/12/2007 03:28:51PM : "Thank you."
12/12/2007 03:29:15PM Agent (SUP H_K): "You are welcome."

So I am getting an 8800 GTX. Keep trying. Once you get them to offer it, go to Dell Escalation and tell them to contact you back with your order. https://support.dell.com/support/to...anding_issues_care?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

No, Because of dell. i ordered within 30 mins of the deal posted, and it said it would arrive 1-2 weeks. So dont tell me it was my decision to wait a month.

Don't listen to him. He's just a troll.

In any transaction time is of the essence, it's a legal term stating that everything has a period of reasonable time.
If Dell claimed 1-2 weeks then another week should be "reasonable" but the time frame they are giving everybody then it's no longer (IMO) reasonable. It said 1-2 weeks not 1-2 months.

Don't listen to him. He's just a troll.

In any transaction time is of the essence, it's a legal term stating that everything has a period of reasonable time.
If Dell claimed 1-2 weeks then another week should be "reasonable" but the time frame they are giving everybody then it's no longer (IMO) reasonable. It said 1-2 weeks not 1-2 months.

How the fuck does that make me a troll? Stating the obvious, it was his decision to be left with no video card and a non-functioning computer. Pretty fucking common sense there.

lol lol lol! thanks wildmonkey, yea i have been warned of rangersvt on a few other threads...

lol, I think RangerSVT is on the right.
We all know Dell pulls these kinds of shit. What the hell did you expect?

As for me, honestly, I wasn't expecting this card till AFTER Christmas, knowing that this is Dell we're dealing with. Though I'm pleasantly surprised (hurrr funny eh) that it shipped before Christmas.
And also, considering its price, I wouldn't be bitching.

lol, I think RangerSVT is on the right.
We all know Dell pulls these kinds of shit. What the hell did you expect?
You're fooling yourself if you think it'll turn up like most Newegg orders or something.

As for me, honestly, I wasn't expecting this card till AFTER Christmas, knowing that this is Dell we're dealing with. Though I'm pleasantly surprised (hurrr funny eh) that it shipped before Christmas.
And also, considering its price, I wouldn't be bitching.

i was expecting it to be here within a week because dell is a multi million dollar company, im new to ordering shit online so i didnt know dell sucked at these kind of things. it just makes me upset that im waisting my vacation not gaming :( now when the card does come in ill be back in school, and only see the pc once a week....

Rockstar - If I was a student with time off for a couple weeks with nothing to do but game, I would definitely pay the extra $30-$40 or so and get the 8800GT from another source before vacation. Seriously, although it sucks to pay more, the difference between the Dell price and the street price is about cost of a cheap date to the movies. It makes no sense for you to resign your vacation as "missed" or "wasted" because you chose not to cough up a few extra bucks to have the card now.

Joe

Rockstar - If I was a student with time off for a couple weeks with nothing to do but game, I would definitely pay the extra $30-$40 or so and get the 8800GT from another source before vacation. Seriously, although it sucks to pay more, the difference between the Dell price and the street price is about cost of a cheap date to the movies. It makes no sense for you to resign your vacation as "missed" or "wasted" because you chose not to cough up a few extra bucks to have the card now.

Joe

Yeah, that's what MANY of us are doing. The thing is Dell sold us something that it didn't deliver, and instead of canceling or informing us in a timely fashion they are just going to inch their way into next quarter.

How the fuck does that make me a troll? Stating the obvious, it was his decision to be left with no video card and a non-functioning computer. Pretty fucking common sense there.

(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

Please try to control your emotions. While poor use of language is allowed in the body of a message, it's something that is......unnecessary...

(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

Please try to control your emotions. While poor use of language is allowed in the body of a message, it's something that is......unnecessary...

take it to IM... or better yet, don t feed the troll.

back on topic, everyone cancel your MSI 8800gt order / good luck getting Dell to ship anything comparable before the holiday.

You said the same thing a few pages back and a lawyer called you on it. Now, I, another lawyer, am again telling you that you are wrong. Unless the contract expressly says "time is of the essence," then time is NOT of the essence.

If the time for performance is not stated, the parties are given a reasonable time to perform. The 1-2 weeks was an estimate, not a promise. Thus, for the purposes of the contract, you can ignore the "usually ships in 1-2 weeks" and treat the matter as if Dell had said nothing at all. The only thing that matters is whether Dell's 1 month time to perform (assuming Dell actually ships on 12/26) is a reasonable period of time. I gather that you think it is not. I would assume that Dell thinks it is. The only way to figure out who is right is through a lawsuit.

Luder[PAK9];1031813620 said:
You said the same thing a few pages back and a lawyer called you on it. Now, I, another lawyer, am again telling you that you are wrong. Unless the contract expressly says "time is of the essence," then time is NOT of the essence.

If the time for performance is not stated, the parties are given a reasonable time to perform. The 1-2 weeks was an estimate, not a promise. Thus, for the purposes of the contract, you can ignore the "usually ships in 1-2 weeks" and treat the matter as if Dell had said nothing at all. The only thing that matters is whether Dell's 1 month time to perform (assuming Dell actually ships on 12/26) is a reasonable period of time. I gather that you think it is not. I would assume that Dell thinks it is. The only way to figure out who is right is through a lawsuit.

I agree, it's not exactly a specifically written contract, in fact they owe me nothing.
That's not the point. IT'S POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE.
That no one can disagree with. I'm just pissed that after a month of waiting it turns out I have to go elsewhere.
It's a month that I could have had using my new card. So as a consumer I have the choice of never buying from these idiots again, and I can also relay my experience with them to others.

I heard that NVIDIA got upset with MSI for this happening, I guess basically flooding the market with low priced GTs, and NVIDIA cut off their allocation of GPUs. So it looks like NVIDIA is the culprit here, not Dell or MSI.

I am getting a statement from NVIDIA now. But I will tell you that I got my information from a good source.

If you have a good source for that statement I'll reconsider, but it doesn't sound very plausible to me. First, it was the Dell 20% off on graphics cards across-the-board that made this a great deal - not an unusually low price set by MSI, which was asking $259.00 for the card. Second, $208 is a good price, but not "flooding the market," at least from NVIDIA's perspective, since NVIDIA is clearly on record as saying these cards should retail for $200 to $250.

I seriously doubt that Kyle would post a rumor like that without having heard it from a fairly reliable source.

Well my apologies then. I'm relatively new around here and was just observing that his theory was counter to my understanding of the facts.

Well my apologies then. I'm relatively new around here and was just observing that his theory was counter to my understanding of the facts.

Hey, no worries. I blew the comment off as silly rumor til I saw who said it :p

Kyle is Mr. HardOCP. Editor-in-chief of the forum and HardOCP, president and CEO of KB Networks. And he's a pretty stand-up, level-headed guy.

Luder[PAK9];1031813753 said:
Ouch. So maybe those Dell CSRs weren't too far off when they said that MSI had discontinued the product. If MSI can't make any more of these cards, then were're all definately SOL.

i spoke with msi tech support last week and the guy laughed when i told him that dell said they discontinued the card (granted he might not be in the know).

it is mindboggling how having a sale on an item can piss a manufacturer off. it's not like nvidia is going to lose money on the deal, it would be dell not making more of a profit. most of the gt's are way over priced....maybe nvidia should be upset with their own staff for coming up with an msrp that was within the average joe's budget :rolleyes:

i'm anxious to hear the real truth, for once. thanks for looking into this, kyle!

Hey, no worries. I blew the comment off as silly rumor til I saw who said it :p

Kyle is Mr. HardOCP. Editor-in-chief of the forum and HardOCP, president and CEO of KB Networks. And he's a pretty stand-up, level-headed guy.

And you know...he pushes decent mouse pads too ;)

But speaking on the comment:

I'm not suprised to hear about that kind of action from nVIDIA. Typically when you release cards in a certain order, you have to place them at certain performance to price ratio to keep the market at a harmonious balance. Each card that comes out from nVIDIA is neatly placed in a section of the market that fills some small void (or large void at times). When someone takes the MSRP and is selling cards for way less than that, nVIDIA is going to say "hey hey hey!!!" like Fat Albert 'n whatnot.

I too got an email from Dell pushing back my order til the 26th and they gave me the option to cancel, which I did. Luckily I had also jumped on their Visiontek 3870 for $200 special on 11/21 and that arrives today via DHL. Sure its 15% slower than the GT, but it'll be fine for UT3, TF2, and WoW. Plus I can crossfire down the line.

If you have a good source for that statement I'll reconsider, but it doesn't sound very plausible to me. First, it was the Dell 20% off on graphics cards across-the-board that made this a great deal - not an unusually low price set by MSI, which was asking $259.00 for the card. Second, $208 is a good price, but not "flooding the market," at least from NVIDIA's perspective, since NVIDIA is clearly on record as saying these cards should retail for $200 to $250.

Hmmm, if given a choice, would NVIDIA smack down MSI or Dell? This is a real tough one..... ;)

Dell still has my ship date set for tomorrow. I'm REALLY hoping i don't get a push back to the 29th.

I feel like a skanky crack addict telling Dell not to cancel my 8pm 11/24 order.

OTOH, since my last video card purchase was a MX440, apparently I'm a crack addict with patience.

i highly doubt it, nvidia has a contract with everyone they sell there chips to, and they usually do it by year.

Since none of us have actually seen the contract, we don't know what nVidia can do "shortage" MSI with 8800GT chips. They could just as well "delay" their shipment of chips to MSI and send it to them when 8800GT isn't so hot anymore.

Personally, I don't think the rumor's true. It seems like a bad business practice to piss off a AIB partner. The MSI card wasn't even sold at "low price". Dell just had a 20% off promotion on all cards during that period (as someone already pointed out). Were MSI cards sold outside of the Dell Sale below other AIB's price? Not really.

I'm trying to see if they'll let me upgrade my GT order to GTX without additonal cost, if not, I'll just cancel and keep my BFG card. I also have my $200 XFX (paypal deal) in order, so I have another GT in queue.

i spoke with msi tech support last week and the guy laughed when i told him that dell said they discontinued the card (granted he might not be in the know).

while I laughed when I originally read the post where the Dell customer service rep stated this, it is plausible. MSI lists two 8800GT models on their site, the V801 and the V117.:

prod_cca785ef5eb1a14204872cbd0f2532fd.gif

This is purely speculation, but the green pcb could be the initial batch and the red version could be the one MSI is going forward with (typically their cards are on red PCB) which would support the discontinued theory. I am downloading the manuals as we speak to see if there is any truth to this. I would appreciate if everyone could refrain from reposting any of this speculation until I have had a chance to look over the manuals.

edit: the manuals were identical, which doesn t necessarily prove or disprove anything.

Sounds like Nvidia is trying to keep all its other vendors happy by enforcing a kind of price fix.:eek: Unethical as well as illegal I think :(

while I laughed when I originally read the post where the Dell customer service rep stated this, it is plausible. MSI lists two 8800GT models on their site, the V801 and the V117.:

perhaps the numbers are regional? the only one that's listed on the american site is the v801, while both are on the .tw site. when you search for v117 and msi, all the results seem to be .de sites.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=NX8800GT-T2D512E_OC&class=vga

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1343&maincat_no=130

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back