MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
$50 over what price? The 8800GT 512MB had a projected street price of around $50 before launch, and MSRP on this card was $260 at launch.

It's at MSRP.

Actually no. nVidia was touting left and right its MSRP of $200 for the stock versions going up to $250 for the absolute top-of-the-line uber-overclocked versions (i.e.: eVGA's SSC edition).

Look at this AnandTech article for details. $200 is the low-end of MSRP's for the 512MB version, not the 256MB version. (It did, to be fair, say not to expect it at $200 at launch. $260 is above the bracket though.)

i do beleive that is only 10 dollars over mrsp so no its not $50 over.

The version that Fry's has in stock, and is selling is the low end EVGA 512mb version, I believe, not the overclocked, high end model. I base that on the picture they show,a nd the specs. That would put it at a list of $200.00. That makes it $50.00 over list.

Actually no. nVidia was touting left and right its MSRP of $200 for the stock versions going up to $250 for the absolute top-of-the-line uber-overclocked versions (i.e.: eVGA's SSC edition).
I'd like to see a link where nVidia was "touting" a $200 MSRP for the 8800GT 512MB.

The link you gave said "NVIDIA told us that there will be no $200 8800 GT parts available at launch, but they should come along after prices settle down a bit."

No $200 parts at launch. Prices haven't settled yet.

I'd like to see the "list" that puts the eVGA card at $200. eVGA never sold it for under $269 on their own site.

This is all quite silly. I just hope everyone hits their own personal ideal balance of price vs speed. Those that wait will get it cheaper, period.

The version that Fry's has in stock, and is selling is the low end EVGA 512mb version, I believe, not the overclocked, high end model. I base that on the picture they show,a nd the specs. That would put it at a list of $200.00. That makes it $50.00 over list.

The vanilla eVGA has no game bundle either.

I'd like to see a link where nVidia was "touting" a $200 MSRP for the 8800GT 512MB.

That's what nVidia gave directly to the reporters. The review sites didn't pull that number out of thin air. See pretty much every 8800 GT pre-launch (or launch day) preview on the web.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2209197,00.asp
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13479/8
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_gt_performance/page19.asp
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=467

There is some wiggle room in the $199-$249 range, but most of the cards (the Dell promotion notwithstanding) are solidly above the $249 ceiling that nVidia has been hyping.

The link you gave said "NVIDIA told us that there will be no $200 8800 GT parts available at launch, but they should come along after prices settle down a bit."

No $200 parts at launch. Prices haven't settled yet.

I said as much in my last post. That said, the $199-$249 range was clearly stated on pretty much every review on the web. The AIB-partners and the (r)etailers haven't lived up to nVidia's hype. That was my whole point. I'm pretty disinterested on the matter myself; I don't want to bother with an aftermarket cooler (which is pretty much mandatory for a cool and quiet 8800 GT), but nevertheless, facts are facts.

farfromhome said:
That's what nVidia gave directly to the reporters. The review sites didn't pull that number out of thin air. See pretty much every 8800 GT pre-launch (or launch day) preview on the web.
According to Anand:

"NVIDIA’s original target for the 8800 GT was $199 for the 256MB version and $249 - $259 for the 512MB version"

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3165

Just, yanno, sayin'.

"NVIDIA’s original target for the 8800 GT was $199 for the 256MB version and $249 - $259 for the 512MB version"

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3165

That's a much later review that happened after launch, and contradicts their earlier review that I quoted earlier. ;) Not to mention pretty much every other review on the web around launch day or before. I'm smelling some revisionist history (from NVIDIA, not Anand!) here, either that or lowballing what they knew would be higher street prices to dampen enthusiasm for the AMD 3800 series...

Not that it really matters in the long run; if the rumors are true and the new generation is going to come out in the first half of 2008, then that should drive the prices down anyway whenever it happens. Whether that's January or June nobody knows though.

You guys whining to Dell, and requestiong free shipping upgrades are kind of pathetic -- my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Sup guys.

Just checking in to see how your Dell order is going :D

I'm still waiting for my X800 XT-PE - hahaha.

Sup guys.

Just checking in to see how your Dell order is going :D

I'm still waiting for my X800 XT-PE - hahaha.

After 23 pages of posts, this may be big news to you, but the estimated ship date is now 12/10/2007 for the earliest orders.

And we're how far past that ship date now? Oh right... negative 7 days! Man they really blew it, not shipping it before the estimate.

Looks like the deal is gone.
Msi no longer found on there site. Also the XFX price went up.
I guess I waited to long.

7900gs for a while longer.

Geez, it's not like there should be any misunderstanding of "1-2 weeks" that anyone saw while ordering.

Whiners: mark December 10 on your calendars. It's a big day for you. And please cancel your order in a hissy fit if it doesn't ship by then so the rest of us can be moved up the list. :D

Agree'd, I bought my card realizing it would be a few weeks; to me the good deal was worth it. It's not as if they have been pushing back the ship date.:rolleyes: That said, if my order hasn't shipped by the 11th, I will definitely be jumping on the bitching like a little girl band wagon.;)

I'd be willing to bet that with Dell's purchasing strength, they get the exact dates from MSI on when they'll ship the cards. Dell, I think, is sitting back, filling orders for full systems with the 8800GT, waiting for when they get a surplus to ship us. You know their full systems have priority over us.

I'd be curious to see if someone ordered a full system with the 8800GT, how long until they received it.

What gets me is the lack of specificity on shipping dates. I hate the idea of waiting for the 10th or 15th before I cancel when I could have had a functional PC long before then.

The sites that have policies that show that their in stock products will ship within say... 24 hours... have not offered up 8800GTs for $208. That's why those of us that ordered from Dell did so, knowing that we might not have the card shipped for 1-2 weeks (though to be fair, the 10th is 16 full days from my order date). It's just too good of a deal and not one to be found anywhere else, at least not sooner. Of course, that's not to say it's impossible that another deal like this will pop up in the next week, but the signs aren't indicating that will happen. Personally I know I took a bit of a risk, because I sold my 8800GTS at a loss while waiting for this card. The smartest thing? Probably not. But if it works out and Dell ships my card, then my total cost of changing from an 8800GTS to an 8800GT will be about 37 cents, and I'll now have a single slot, slightly faster card.

You don't really know how corporate structures work. A huge company like Dell..... tons of different departments/workgroups. If they get swamped with orders for systems, it more than likely doesn't touch the accessories division at all. This isn't a Mcdonald's, where someone in the drive-through might get served 20 seconds faster than a walk-in.

You don't really know how corporate structures work. A huge company like Dell..... tons of different departments/workgroups. If they get swamped with orders for systems, it more than likely doesn't touch the accessories division at all. This isn't a Mcdonald's, where someone in the drive-through might get served 20 seconds faster than a walk-in.

And to big to control their CS which it lacks really bad, its like one of "The Simpons" episode when homer was in India. Like I said, don't hold your breathe and expect Dell to ship out your order on the "promise" dates. Now not everyone will be affected and will get lucky but the majority will be complaining and this thread will just get longer.

Dell is actually offering the 8800GT 512MB as a free upgrade over the 8600GTS 256MB on the XPS 720 right now. It does not say "This option may delay your system" underneath of it either.

I understand it's a separate division. Just pointing it out since it was brought up.

Yeah, nor would they put retail MSI 8800GTs in full systems. Wouldn't they be OEM, non-label?

I would also like to note that Mr. Dell himself is losing sleep right now over the ETA of our orders...

Dude, dhell does this with almost every video card launch. They got me with the Radeon 64MB DDR card waayy back in the day. Never again will I buy a video card from dell.

Haven't you guys noticed this?

Pay the $40-60 more and STFU.... It aint even worth it to whine and complain about it.... :D Mine will be here on Wed from Newegg. Screw Dell.....Who knows maybe i'll use it for a month and then sell it when I find another one in stock for less.

Pay the $40-60 more and STFU.... It aint even worth it to whine and complain about it.... :D Mine will be here on Wed from Newegg. Screw Dell.....Who knows maybe i'll use it for a month and then sell it when I find another one in stock for less.

Wouldn't you be losing money?

I'm guessing this is the price the 8800GTs should actually be sold at so anyone seen any more in this price range at all?

Wouldn't you be losing money?

Depends on how much you get paid per hour at your job, for me $20-40 to have it now is worth it and use it. Or you can sit around and wait for Dell to pull their heads outta there @sses with 10000 on backorder.

Depends on how much you get paid per hour at your job, for me $20-40 to have it now is worth it and use it. Or you can sit around and wait for Dell to pull their heads outta there @sses with 10000 on backorder.

What I meant was when you buy it for more and then try to sell it when prices go down wouldn't that make selling your used gpu for a lot less. I rather just pay a little more for it now and keep later instead of selling it and losing money on it. Thats the point in buying it now and having it now. Rather than waiting for prices to go down and buying another one when you have one already :confused: Either way I'm not jumping on the 8800gt band wagon... yet so it doesn't matter to me.

What I meant was when you buy it for more and then try to sell it when prices go down wouldn't that make selling your used gpu for a lot less. I rather just pay a little more for it now and keep later instead of selling it and losing money on it. Thats the point in buying it now and having it now. Rather than waiting for prices to go down and buying another one when you have one already :confused: Either way I'm not jumping on the 8800gt band wagon... yet so it doesn't matter to me.

Why not jump on now? There's plenty of room on the 8800gt bus.;)
fullbus.jpg

Tracking history... Help

Date and time Status DHL Facility Location
12/4/2007 9:04 pm Processed at DHL Location. Wescosville, PA
9:04 pm In transit. Wescosville, PA
12:01 am Picked Up by DHL.

Tracking history... Help

Ummmm... am I understanding your post correctly? Has your MSI order through Dell actually shipped?!!!!!!!:eek:

Tracking history... Help

Please tell me you are speaking the truth... :eek:

Tracking history... Help

Well that's less than 90 minutes from here... give me your delivery address and I'll wait patiently by the door :D

I placed my order on 11/24 around 7-7:30PM. When did you place yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back