MSI 760GM-P23(FX)

BigMacAttack

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked up this mobo [MSI 760GM-P23(FX)] for an office machine build and noticed it said it was AM3+ ready and compatible with the new FX series B2 stepping processors as well as Phenom II X6 and X4 cpu's. I also found a Phenom II X6 1090T at my local CompUSA (long odds to be sure!) for $169.99 so I got them both and 4gb of ram. I put it together and it runs fine - no problems. Then I went on MSI's website to double check to see if the board supports Hybrid XFire (turns out it does according to the website) and found a note stating "Due to some design limitation, this mainboard supports AM3+ CPU's with max. 95W. Please refer to the CPU compatibility list for details." So I checked and the 1090T isn't supported (since it is a 125W part). The weird thing is, as I said, the mobo recognizes it and oc's it without issues. I accidentally set it to 3.78 ghz and it ran fine, then I backed off to 3.4 since it is just going to be a CAD machine. I spoke with MSI's tech support and the tech told me I shouldn't run the 1090T in this board but did not say exactly why - other than the fact this board is only rated for 95W CPU's. Is there a chance to damage the board and/or the cpu if I leave the 1090T in it? I ordered an Athlon II X4 645 Propus 95W 3.1 ghz cpu to swap in for the 1090T just in case but I really hate to lose the 1090T. Thoughts?

That is what I thought. The Athlon II X4 will be going in as soon as it gets here and set for stock speed. 3.1 ghz will be more than enough for my situation. Thanks

Last edited:
Back