MS Technet Subscription - $251.28

1 question.

For example I have 10 keys for Windows 7 Ultimate x64. If I upgrade my computer somewhere down the line I get 10 activations for each Key?

I bought Vista Business Retail last year and when I upgraded my computer it made me reactivate the Key, but it allowed me to use the same Key...do these have the same thing?

1 question.

For example I have 10 keys for Windows 7 Ultimate x64. If I upgrade my computer somewhere down the line I get 10 activations for each Key?

I bought Vista Business Retail last year and when I upgraded my computer it made me reactivate the Key, but it allowed me to use the same Key...do these have the same thing?

For retail keys, I think it's 5 different computer configuration activations before it forces you to call them to activate..up to 10...if it's always the same rig without any hardware changes it should be unlimited.

I have used my keys for all sorts of different machines, I've never had to call - though I admit I bounce around with keys.

Well, my Windows 7 RC expires tomorrow so I went ahead and bit on this. My god did it hurt spending that much money at once even though it will end up being a great deal since I have a netbook and two computers that need Windows 7 and we need Office as well.

Well, my Windows 7 RC expires tomorrow so I went ahead and bit on this. My god did it hurt spending that much money at once even though it will end up being a great deal since I have a netbook and two computers that need Windows 7 and we need Office as well.

Its a seriously good deal if you have 2 computers or more, hell it will practically break even just from buying Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2007 (and 2010 soon) for 1 computer.

I have more licenses than I know what to do with. And I just set up Windows Home Server (only 1 license for that though) so now I have a reliable backup solution and printer sharing. Plus 5 other PC's that will get Vista or 7, plus office. There has to be 100+ keys included with the package just between Vista and 7.

I almost feel like I'm stealing....I have to keep reminding myself this is from Microsoft directly :)

I have been reading about it...is there really any point at all to pay for ultimate over professional? The only difference I can see is the bitlocker?

That and some language options:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

My purchase finally went through. Kindof surprised at the lack of quality from Microsoft on their TechNet shopping system but whatever it's a good deal.

Got Win7 installed, very happy. Now to buy a new case and hard drive for my desktop to install Win7 on it too. SSD here I come.

I have been reading about it...is there really any point at all to pay for ultimate over professional? The only difference I can see is the bitlocker?

They are both included in your subscription so may as well go ahead install the Ultimate was my thinking.

Can't do that.. against TOS. It's keys for one user. I for one don't want to risk loosing something as good as TechNet.

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) - DVD (English)...... Windows 7 Ultimate N (x64) - DVD (English)
Anyone know what the difference is between these two? What does the "N" mean and is it considered a seperate software package to the non "N" version (would I get ten keys for both versions)?

Anyone buy a subscription and have any unused Win7 keys? $25/key? ;)

Give me a PM later, if I bite on this I'll have a few Win7 copies I've already bought (their student discount promo a while back) that I won't have a need for. :)

Anyone know what the difference is between these two? What does the "N" mean and is it considered a seperate software package to the non "N" version (would I get ten keys for both versions)?

N is a version without Windows Media Player and MovieMaker, everything else is the same. Made for the EU. I use Vista Business N on my tablet. I like it since I never play media files on my tablet. With Vista, normal and N keys were separate. Not sure about W7, my TechNet expired right before W7 was released.

N is a version without Windows Media Player and MovieMaker, everything else is the same. Made for the EU. I use Vista Business N on my tablet. I like it since I never play media files on my tablet. With Vista, normal and N keys were separate. Not sure about W7, my TechNet expired right before W7 was released.

In W7, N and non N versions use the same key pool.

Can anyone comment on the legitimacy of the keys after your subscription expires? For example, after your sub expires and you re-install Windows and attempt to re-activate, will your keys still work? Even though they work, do they comply with all the applicable license agreements/terms/etc?

This seems like a good deal, but not if I have to renew every year at this price in order to be legit.

Another question about license terms, and I may be stretching it here: let's say that I purchase this in order to test and train myself for my job...if I use one of the licenses on my wife's machine would that qualify as me evaluating the software for deployment at work? ;)

Yea I just dove into this one. Great price for everything you get.

Noob question about keys... so you can use 1 key for multiple computers? Or is the MAK key the only one that you can use on multiple systems.

Only MAK can be used on multiple systems at the same time. Other keytypes require a different key for each different system.

Can anyone comment on the legitimacy of the keys after your subscription expires? For example, after your sub expires and you re-install Windows and attempt to re-activate, will your keys still work? Even though they work, do they comply with all the applicable license agreements/terms/etc?

this gets ask and answered 1000 times a month so i dont know why but ill just answer it.

the key is, in a nutshell, exactly the same thing as an OEM key. because its technet, there are guidelines how you are supposed to use it, but as far as microsoft's activation goes, they are OEM keys. if you change the motherboard, change too many parts, you will get deactivated and will have to phone in and reactivate. it does not matter anything about your subscription where you got the key- once you have that key its yours and thats final. grab them all, copy to encrypted notepad and you will never have to log back into your technet account ever if you dont want to. in fact, its best to do this instead of leaving the keys un-generated because of all the ways your account can get suspended causing big headaches. even if your account gets disabled, the keys you generated are still valid in most cases; but your computer should never be deactivated because your sub simply expired on terms.
Another question about license terms, and I may be stretching it here: let's say that I purchase this in order to test and train myself for my job...if I use one of the licenses on my wife's machine would that qualify as me evaluating the software for deployment at work? ;)

no. is there any way for microsoft to know about it? not really. but when people in black glasses come to your door and give you a memory shot dont go wondering where your computer went or why your butt is sore.

Back