MS Defends Xbox One

"This is a big change, citizens don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand." - Hitler

It is, but Xbox gets timed-exclusive DLC. And most CoD players are on the Xbox.

Be honest, how many times do you hear people talk about playing CoD on their PlayStations? :p

The PlayStation 4 has a more powerful GPU.

PS4: 18 CU / 1152 SP ~ 1,84 TFLOPS -- comparable to HD 7850
XBO: 12 CU / 768 SP ~ 1,23 TFLOPS -- comparable to HD 7770

Is there somewhere this is posted? I don't think i've official seen either hardware posted from the actually developer.

So what's the over/under on how long before they give up on this whole used game/online check DRM? Before launch day? After?

No doubt that the shareholders are getting anxious.

People keep comparing Xbox One to Steam, but there is a difference. Valve said that if Steam ever goes away, they will unlock the DRM for the games which we purchased. When something happens to Xbox One servers (in 15-20 years), I doubt Microsoft will be this generous (at least judging by their history). Point is, I would like to have the ability to play my Xbox One games in 15-20 years, much like I play SNES games right now.

Is there somewhere this is posted? I don't think i've official seen either hardware posted from the actually developer.

The specs were released when the Xbox One was announced in May:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

Digital distribution is fine. I don't mind that. But, even with that - I don't own the game!

Nintendo does the digital thing on 3DS and Wii (so does MSFT and Sony right now). Can't resell those games, either. But, they also buy and sell the physical media in store. Locking everything down isn't winning customers over. Forcing them to be online once a day isn't either (I'm online most of the time, anyway, but that's not the point). Forcing Kinect on people sucks (if I want it, I'll buy it). Higher price? Who cares. I might have paid it if everything else didn't suck. It's not worth it at all.

Microsoft as a company has taken a huge nose dive in the PR department lately, and 'thinking' they know what's best for consumers. Sadly, they get a lot of backlash from the consumer for those thoughts. I'm a MSFT fanboy, but lately I've been facepalming a LOT more than before. I have no idea what they are thinking....

I prefer light controllers. The DS3 is not without flaws but I like it better than the 360's controller. Luckily the new controller for PS4 has similar ergonomics but with improvements to the sticks and triggers etc.

Sony has announced specs. MS hasn't. And they probably won't, ever. It's to their disadvantage. But those are the current specs given to developers. Since they are making games, they are given the specs because they need to know what to target.

But there are rumors from reliable inside sources that MS is having problems with low yields, and may have to drop the clocks on the esram and or GPU. So the esram bw is probably going to be lower than the original figure and if the GPU has to be lowered too, it will have less than 1.2 TF peak. Also Xbox One OS automatically reserves 10% of the GPU for its own purposes. So X1 games already get less than 1.1 TF of power to use, and if they have to underclock, probably less than 1 TF. I think CBOAT suggested 800-900 GF might be a possible scenario. X One is a huge turkey.

MS screwed up the hw. After MS's bean counters decided to go after the Wii audience, and not focus on gaming, there was a loss of the brain trust behind the Xbox and 360. A lot of the talent behind those systems quit. So I think they didn't have a good design. It turned out to be exactly like that leaked power point said, lower performance, concentrate on more non gaming apps, like TV, base the system around kinnect motion control ver 2.0 etc.

Last edited:
Don't doubt for a second that there are millions of them just begging Microsoft to take their money.

Mostly Halo & CoD players.

no doubt. and this is why companies like ea and m$ can continue on their path.

reminds me of what Netflix did, hmm tons of buyers complaining before they can get one and now cruddy damage control. Imagine any fixes come after its on sale.

I really wish Bill Gates would come back and clean house. First to go needs to be Steve "Developers" Ballmer.

We believe the digital world is the future, and we believe digital is better.

So I guess people can expect to pay like around half of what they pay normally for titles? After all, you don't have to manufacture physical copies and deal with distribution with digital disto. Of course not.

I really wish Bill Gates would come back and clean house.

Bill Gates is a stain and a fake philanthropist (aren't they all?). He's busy with eugenics, geoengineering, and seed vaults.

To begin with, people shouldn't give Microsoft any money alone due to their participation in PRISM.

Last edited:
I think they should just hire Amy to be their new Xbox spokesperson.
14WRW1W.gif

"This is a big change, consumers don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand."

"education".

This sounds a lot like the verbiage used during the Cultural Revolution. Yeah, I know, mountains and mole hills but it just has an icky Gestapo, KGB, Red Guard vibe about it.

Now this might not be the way it is, but it is how I feel about it.

Can you imagine going back in time 20 years ago and informing the industry and consumers of whats going on here? I certainly never thought that the little ol' video game industry (mult-billions in revenue though it may be) would ever skirt around with these ideas let alone plunge balls deep into it.

Last edited:
"This is a big change, consumers don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand."

"education".

This sounds a lot like the verbiage used during the Cultural Revolution. Yeah, I know, mountains and mole hills but it just has an icky Gestapo, KGB, Red Guard vibe about it.

When I read "education", it too touched a nerve with me. It sounded Orwellian.

Agree with both of you. It also sounds like they're calling us all stupid as well. "They just don't get it. We'll need to 'educate' them." No thanks. I'll educate you with my spending habits, thank you.

I'm actually enjoying all of this. Its like watching a train wreck happen. I doubt their sales will tank as much as we all hope they do simply because of brand name recognition and COD fanboys, both who are oblivious to the stuff we all debate on here (like specs and DRM).

Either way I'm just happy to see some decent revenue for ATi

I'm actually enjoying all of this. Its like watching a train wreck happen. I doubt their sales will tank as much as we all hope they do simply because of brand name recognition and COD fanboys, both who are oblivious to the stuff we all debate on here (like specs and DRM).

Either way I'm just happy to see some decent revenue for ATi

I disagree, launch is still a long way off, lot of time for people to become informed. Especially with every game outlet, and even frigging CNN covering it, gonna be hard for people to stay uninformed for the next 5 months. Sad thing is is this is exactly like last gen console wars, but in reverse.

+1 on the ATi love tho.

I disagree, launch is still a long way off, lot of time for people to become informed. Especially with every game outlet, and even frigging CNN covering it, gonna be hard for people to stay uninformed for the next 5 months. Sad thing is is this is exactly like last gen console wars, but in reverse.

+1 on the ATi love tho.

The question is how many people will actually understand what they are being told and most importantly will actually care? People are so incredibly willfully ignorant of how the internet works or what any of this stuff means that they will probably not even understand what phoning home or online activation even means, much less get the concept of how shit the internet infrastructure is in the US and many other parts of the world. I wonder if Microsoft even understands this or if they have their heads shoved so far up their ass that they're not even capable of seeing how stupid this decision is.

I'm actually enjoying all of this. Its like watching a train wreck happen.

I agree. And what a year it's been already for train wrecks. Between EA's Sim City debacle, Aliens vs Pred fiasco, and now this bullshit. It has been fun to watch and I hope the whole fucking industry follows suit and hangs themselves. I want to watch it burn to the point where every major publisher minus steam is bankrupt and only steam, kickstarter, and indie devs are left.

I agree. And what a year it's been already for train wrecks. Between EA's Sim City debacle, Aliens vs Pred fiasco, and now this bullshit. It has been fun to watch and I hope the whole fucking industry follows suit and hangs themselves. I want to watch it burn to the point where every major publisher minus steam is bankrupt and only steam, kickstarter, and indie devs are left.

Steam is a content platform/digital store, not a publisher.

I'm not sure what you want though... you want all publishers to die so developers can self-publish on Steam? Or you want for all AAA devs to die too?

If only Steam is left, that wouldn't be good. Or do you really think Valve only has massive sales on Steam due to the goodness of their hearts?

The question is how many people will actually understand what they are being told and most importantly will actually care? People are so incredibly willfully ignorant of how the internet works or what any of this stuff means that they will probably not even understand what phoning home or online activation even means, much less get the concept of how shit the internet infrastructure is in the US and many other parts of the world. I wonder if Microsoft even understands this or if they have their heads shoved so far up their ass that they're not even capable of seeing how stupid this decision is.

This is very very true, but even if they don't understand any of that they can see that the specs of the PS4 have bigger numbers and a smaller pricetag haha.

There is a way that Microsoft could be successful in implementing their business model for this next generation of consoles, however, I do agree with some of the points this alleged MS employee makes regarding the messaging portion of his http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous-xbox-engineer-explains-drm-and-microsofts-xbox-one-intentions . As an FYI, I don’t believe anyone has yet confirmed if this is legitimate or not.

People are comparing what MS is trying to do with this new Xbox to what Steam does as far as DRM goes. I would also suggest MS is taking a page out of Apple’s playbook by being the main distributor of games through their own iTunes (Xbox Marketplace) where they control pretty much the entire ecosystem. MS wants customers to buy and play games through their own ecosystem similar to iTunes and Steam, however the fundamental difference which I think MS overlooked is the fact that with both Steam and iTunes, customers have the option of using these two ecosystems to play their music or PC games. For Steam, customers can choose to purchase their game practically anywhere and then put it into their Steam library and this works the same way for iTunes as well, where customer can choose to purchase the actual physical album elsewhere and put those songs into iTunes if they so choose. Customers have the option of not using Steam or iTunes for media they did not purchase through these channels and still be able to access and use their media. This is not possible with Xbox as no matter where a customer purchases the games (be it from Xbox Marketplace, Gamestop,BestBuy etc), it’s as if they purchased it from MS directly.

No offence but, have you been under a rock for these past few days?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/412685/playstation-4-full-final-specs-revealed/

There are literally dozens of articles discussing their specs.

I've seen these, but their still not confirming actual hardware and speeds, only little details and "leaked specs".

Also I'm not really sure why were hung up on what's in the machine, they are not that extremely different. And really, it;s up to the developers to use each set of hardware. I know there were many games that looked a lot better on Xbox over the PS3, and vice versa for other games. So really unless you MS decides to put in a integrated Video cards, I don't think the normal user will see a real difference.

Halo I get... but isn't CoD multiplatform? Unless I'm wrong on that... I don't really look into it, but I thought it was.

COD is multiplatform but the thing is everyone who played it on the consoles mostly played on the Xbox 360. And all this was kicked off with the success of Halo multiplayer. MS just built a stronger better online crowd.

The problem is this time around if SONY moves a lot more consoles than MS, it will reverse. But ultimately a lot of people are going to buy the xbone because they think things will repeat just like all the people who are still buying iPhones seemingly unaware of the dominance of android. Being large and successful comes with inertia. The inertia does not last forever though. MS is probably highly over estimating how many people will buy xbone. With every passing week of inaction more preorders are canceled, more information spreads around social circles letting people know that one friend wont be getting an xbone.

I generally agree with the article in theory and practice but it does not mean MS will execute. If they don't move close to as many consoles as SONY does eventually that will come around to bite them as lack of titles and options.

For instance you can make more money one the xbone with out used game sales. But if there are half as many users you still need to keep the price at full price to justify the development.

@Nearsite
There is one huge issue with one comment in that article. Steam did not gain mass adoption because of cheap games. It gained mass adoption because at the time there were a couple of the most popular gaming titles in the world ONLY available on steam. One was counter strike which was as dominant ad COD is today at that time, the other was the release of Half-Life2. Those 2 games accounted for damn near half the internet gaming at the time. Not to mention others like DOD and TFC. The really good deals really started to manifest a couple years later IMO as the catalog became so big.

With Xbox 360 it was Halo MP, but since then COD has eclipsed HALO as the most dominant online shooter. So the question is, is Halo enough?

Last edited:
I've seen these, but their still not confirming actual hardware and speeds, only little details and "leaked specs".

Also I'm not really sure why were hung up on what's in the machine, they are not that extremely different. And really, it;s up to the developers to use each set of hardware. I know there were many games that looked a lot better on Xbox over the PS3, and vice versa for other games. So really unless you MS decides to put in a integrated Video cards, I don't think the normal user will see a real difference.

Because the better machine is $100 less that's the big issue.

Lol, that quote reeks of "You're holding it wrong" enthusiasm!

MS also called everyone sheep, so I'm not surprised.

It's the exact argument they made for the Windows8 interface when all people wanted was a damn option for a start menu. It didn't take stardock long to do one.

Leaked...?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one -- published on the day after the official Xbox One reveal, with official specs.

In the presentation itself, Microsoft talked in broad strokes about the internals of the box

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/412685/playstation-4-full-final-specs-revealed/ -- published on the same day as the PS4 E3 reveal, with official specs.

Sony has released a full list of technical specifications for the PlayStation 4.

Can't get any more official than that.

Why on Earth would I post links to rumours and leaks at this point in time, when both consoles have been thoroughly revealed and exposed?

Last edited:
Back