MS Crossing the Line by Pushing Security Essentials?

Considering MSE is free and performs better than most of the Pay For Options out there, I'm glad to hear this.

True, but in my case I haven't used Norton/Symantec products since I used a 486-based PC. :p

Same here, pretty much. :) I like the idea. It shows up if you don't have any AV installed. So, they are looking out for users. They weren't going to buy a competitors product anyway!

After reading this I decided to try MSE out and ditched the free version of Avira.... just as a trial run.

To America and every place of the world except any place that falls under the European Union, great!

But to places that fall under the European Union.. MICRO$OFT IS EVIL!!!!1!!1 BANT FOR LYF.

I personally love MSE. Very lightweight, unobtrusive & has a great detection rate.
Funny, all these companies piss & moan about MS using their own softare with their own os(antivirus, web browser). Why doesn't anyone go after Apple? That is such a closed system. You really have no choice there..

MSE all the way for me now, i love it, it belongs to MS afterall so if they want it to include it so be it.

I've been putting MSE + the paid version of MalwareBytes (has protection module) on customers machines for some time now.

People that would constantly come in with infected machines rarely come in after that.

The odd one sneaks by, but thats it. Pretty good stuff.

MSE needs to be included on every PC, with an easy option to uninstall it. I used to use AVG, but it was getting more and more bloated with every version update. MSE just sits there and protects against viruses, you don't even notice it unless it detects something.

I personally like where microsoft is going lately (though sometimes forced).

Go ahead bundle your apps (browser, media player, AV, CD burning etc), just make it so it can be removed if a user wants.

How much bitching is nero or winzip doing about the fact MS bundles functionality in? Though I do have to fight with my users that personally buy nero/winzip... They want to use them only becuase they paid, not because the free MS versions are missing options they need:mad:

it is either they do too much (bundle essential) or they don't do anything about security
you can't win with people

Apple's programs aren't integrated into the OS. You can remove iTunes and Safari easily. I'm sure if AV software were included you would be able to remove that too. Those big bad bullies with their "closed system" over in Cupertino!

MSE is lightweight and effective + it's free, only downside to it is that it's on demand scan is slow.
MSE is rather important imo i share the same view as MS in that it's better to give people updates then to not because then you get less computers with infections that will spread it more.

You can always replace it with another one, a better one if need be, but deal with with the firewall, the vendors just don't want to compete, it's only on recommended update and we know how little some people update their pc's

Remember Netscape? Same thing. And they lost. It sucks but its life.

Im with the rest of the people here that recommend it over pay options. Hell.. at one of my workplaces I have access to basically bottomless TrendMicro and Norton licenses and still install MSE over them.

Theres alot of legit reasons to dislike M$ but MSE is a win across the board to end users. Kudos indeed.

I use it, hell I recomend it over 90% of the paid ones.

This. I love MSE. It's very basic. If you desire more advanced functionality and more control over your system, you can still buy a premium AV software. All MS is doing is upping the bar by which these security vendor's software is judged.

Go MSE.

It's pretty apparent where the money is in antivirus and such, and it sure isn't on the desktop. McAfee and Symantec did well for themselves to put a greater amount of effort on the enterprise level stuff, such as gateway malware/virus scanning and so on.

McAffee enterprise is an even larger piece of shit then their desktop offering. Then you add the Webwasher hardware / software and it's one giant piece of slow your work PC down to a crawl for 20 minutes every morning for virus scan / policy updates, and a terrible proxy to top it all off.

I personally love MSE. Very lightweight, unobtrusive & has a great detection rate.
Funny, all these companies piss & moan about MS using their own softare with their own os(antivirus, web browser). Why doesn't anyone go after Apple? That is such a closed system. You really have no choice there..

No one is going after Apple much yet because they're still a tiny piece of the market. The moment they really become a major player (and not just with ipods and phones), anti-trust will be raining down on Mr. Jobs.

MSE forces the pay-antivirus products to lift their game, to offer something substantially more than "just anti-malware" which is what MSE gives you. And it sets the benchmark for protection - I mean how embarrassing for an AV product to be found testing below MSE on proactive and reactive antivirus benchmarks?

MS haven't crossed the line, but they have dictated where the line is and I think for once this is a good thing :)

An operating system should have the ability to defend itself against attacks. It shouldn't need to rely on 3rd party software installed by the end user.I honestly never understood why it took so long for Microsoft to go this route, always feeling it was something that should have come standard with the OS.

Good. MSE is the best solution for "home" computers. The paid 3rd party stuff is too wrapped up in flashy useless crap that nags the crap out of you.

Plus I don't really want to support a company that relies upon viruses and malware to exist. They'll be dead or moved to another market in the future when they're no longer required anyway, as the virus and malware slowly become no more, which is no thanks to them..... Yea, I still believe in that conspiracy.

I dont think windows should come with paint, because it cuts into all the other simple graphical editors. People should have a choice how they edit their bitmaps.

The way I see it, is that you pay a ridiculous amount of money for an OSs/programs as it is and it should be Microsoft's/Vendors responsibility to maintain the quality of product that you were advertised at purchase. Viruses takes advantage of exploits and vulnerabilities which are defects in the product, and like all defects it is the manufactures responsiblity to either fix the product or compensate the consumer. The consumer should not have to pay additional fees to third party vendors to get the product to work properly.

Current AV/Backup Vendors are just taking advantage of a defective product and Microsoft has every right to implement their own solution to give customers the quality product they deserve.

I've been avoiding MSE simply because MS-provide software can usually be replaced with something far better (IE -> Chrome, MediaPlayer -> VLC, etc) and I figured that MSE would be more of the same, but seeing all these endorsements by [H] forumgoers is making me consider switching from AVG Free...

Say what you want about the browser wars and choice for uninformed consumers, but it's hard to get behind stopping MS from putting MSE on these computers. MSE is a fantastic program and needs to be on any machine that doesn't have an AV program.

What a failure of an article.

MSE is offered via Microsoft Update, not Windows Update.

Microsoft Update as all of you know, is opt-in, and even then, MSE is offered as an optional update, only to those without a reporting AV product installed.

Far from being "pushed" on anyone.

Apple's programs aren't integrated into the OS. You can remove iTunes and Safari easily. I'm sure if AV software were included you would be able to remove that too. Those big bad bullies with their "closed system" over in Cupertino!
What I was saying is Companies piss & moan about microsoft offering & shipping software programs with the system. Apple puts Safari, Itunes, ilife, & all the other icap on their sysytems ready to go. Basically cutting out any 3rd party usage. the EU fined the crap out of Microsoft for including a BROWSER! A simple stupid browser...

Microsoft is being such a jerk.

Can you imagine if Ford sold cars with seat-belts and airbags, cutting out third party seatbelt manufacturers?

We'd never hear the en ... WAITAMINUTE!

Dear Third party AV software vendors,

I appreciate that you like money, but piss off and die. This is 2010, internet connectivity is more or less ubiquitous, AV as an after-market solution is an outmoded concept, adapt or die, suing Microsoft to gimp security and making all the worlds pc users less safe is not a business model, it's a racket.

Sincerely,

End user.

Hasn't microsoft made a firewall for ages that it included with XP? Where were the firewall companies then?

My problem is that they aren't pushing it, they are offering it, which is completely different. My two machines at home, one set to auto update, the other lets me know they are ready, neither of them have have it because it isn't forced on, it may have been offered but since I don't look at the optional updates but once in a blue moon I haven't seen it. Yesterday I was give and told about the spyware updates and the Malicious update for November, that's it.

No.

And where's all this 'pushing' going on?

It's an optional update. The user has to make a concerted effort to select, download and install the product.

It's not like it sneaks in during a Tuesday patch update and simply ends up on their computer all of a sudden.

Microsoft deserves a lot of the grief it gets, but this isn't one of those cases. Someone needs to call the Wambulance.

At least Symantec is starting to get their shit together with their software.

I question the validity of this statement. Last year we had a virus get loose on the network brought in by an outside contractor. In less than a day it had hit almost the entire site. So, basically we spent a month cleaning the damn thing up. We had to have Symantecs "Engineers" Work for a fix as straight from their mouths SEP can detect it but do nothing to clean it. We ended up having to use Malware Bytes on all the infected machines to clean em, Endpoint was useless.By the time they got SEP working we had cleaned it up with Malware Bytes.

I hate their damn software. SEP is not nearly as bad as consumer versions but it still sucks.

This is a dumb news item. It is a fantastic product and we install it on all these PC's that come in with no AV or running that shit free stuff like AVG. A lot of people also have expired AV programs that we replace with this.

If anything, MS should get HUGE praise for doing this!

I've been avoiding MSE simply because MS-provide software can usually be replaced with something far better (IE -> Chrome, MediaPlayer -> VLC, etc) and I figured that MSE would be more of the same, but seeing all these endorsements by [H] forumgoers is making me consider switching from AVG Free...

Dude, wake the hell up ! AVG is a freakin turd of a program. It misses too much crap and has too many fucking false positives.

I used to use Nod 32 exclusively. When MSE rolled out I figured no one knows their OS better then Redmond so why not give it a spin ? For free it can't be beat and it has a very small system footprint. You don't even know it's there unless you haven't run a scan in awhile, it'll complain. The only thing I don't like about it is how slow it scans.

MSE is the only AV program that I have ever run while playing a game. That should sum up how non intrusive it is. Try playing a heavy graphics game with one of the other AV running. MSE actually feels like it runs in the background where it belongs.

I'm a huge fan of MSE as well. I used to run no antivirus at all since most everything was flashy bloated slow-my-system-down crap. I figured I'd give it a try when MSE came out. No complaints from me at all.

Trend Micro used to be good 2 years ago, but now we dropped them since they don't understand there are newer viruses out there. They didnt seem to care to lose 50,000 licenses so they're long gone.

I question the validity of this statement. Last year we had a virus get loose on the network brought in by an outside contractor. In less than a day it had hit almost the entire site. So, basically we spent a month cleaning the damn thing up. We had to have Symantecs "Engineers" Work for a fix as straight from their mouths SEP can detect it but do nothing to clean it. We ended up having to use Malware Bytes on all the infected machines to clean em, Endpoint was useless.By the time they got SEP working we had cleaned it up with Malware Bytes.

I hate their damn software. SEP is not nearly as bad as consumer versions but it still sucks.

We had a similar incident with SEP last year. Needless to say we're now using webroot... not as good as MSE (Forefront), but leaps above SEP.

Symantec and McAfee produce straight out garbage.

Back