MS Claims the Xbox 1 is more superior than the Wii

Power wise I'd say they are right, from what I understand the wii architecture is extremely similar to that of the gamecube, so in theory developers should have had a head start on getting to know the system and getting the most out of it, whereas the 360 and PS3 are night and day compared to their predecessors hardware wise, so theres more progression needed. And for something thats only $50 cheaper than a 360, I expected a little more umph.

for something thats only $50 cheaper than a 360, I expected a little more umph.

There's a difference though... MS is selling the 360 at a loss while Nintendo is making a profit with the Wii. If Nintendo wanted to play that game, the Wii would be a lot cheaper. But they're making a fortune the way things are, so I can't blame them for the way they're doing it. And it's hardly fair to compare anything the unpopular Core 360. When I think of the 360, I think of the $400 model.

And I don't really care which system is "superior" on paper. The XBox was supposedly more capable than the Gamecube, but in real world comparisons, they produced very similar results. And since the Wii is more capable than the Gamecube (more of an apples to apples comparison so there's no doubt there), then I'd say that the Wii can outperform the XBox... if developers make the effort. So far, they haven't.

There's a difference though... MS is selling the 360 at a loss while Nintendo is making a profit with the Wii.
MS hasn't been selling the 360 at a loss for a while now. Take a look at the iSupply numbers, they're on the web.

Microsoft has lost over 5 billion dollars on the Xbox. So a lot of good being technically superior has done them.

The wii graphically is like a child's toy. Sorry, but it's true.
Ya, I know its fun and all the wii fanboys will say gameplay>graphics etc etc. Thing is in 2007 I expect a little more than what the wii puts out.

I suppose plenty of people are happy with it as is. The sales figures show that much. As for me the only reason I would ever consider getting a wii would be for my kids sine for my own taste I just can't take it serious.

Talking to a friend of mine who works at MS and he said they are making money on the 360, My question is how many people who have the Wii and slam the 360 and PS3 do you play on a HDTV? or do you play on a Standard tv? personally if I didn't have my 65" HDTV I think would have gone with a Wii, But I went with a 360 because of GOW and R6-Vegas plus i have the original xbox and highly enjoyed it and plus all the games I own play on the 360. Plus one of the greatest games Halo and Halo 2 play on both systems, Thats whats great, Still lots of people playing on Live with Halo 2 and that means people with both 360's and xbox's..

MS Claims the Xbox 1 is more superior than the Wii

and the point is??

guess which system is so hard to find right now because its selling like mad? can't say that for xbox or the 360. so obviously, graphics don't matter in this case do they?

and the point is??

guess which system is so hard to find right now because its selling like mad? can't say that for xbox or the 360. so obviously, graphics don't matter in this case do they?

Artificial shortages for teh win.

the cube was close to the xbox in power.

the wii is more powerful than the xbox

you know, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo played it safe with the Wii as a proof of concept device; it's not as powerful as current gen, but incorporates 'innovative' control schemes and a different approach to gaming. Everyone can agree that Nintendo is making a profit on the Wii currently, yes?

What if Nintendo is using it as a testbed for the control scheme, online interface, things that are new to Nintendo consoles, etc. Then they take the profit and invest it in further R&D for a 'beefed up' Wii with stronger graphics, audio, and online capabilities that could compete (if not rival) the 360 and PS3. They release the revamped console in 12-18 months with a higher price tag (300-400 area).

How many current Wii owners (at the time) do you think would be willing to upgrade to the higher-capability system? If the current accessories were still compatible with this hypothetical new system, I certainly would! I mean, think about it, Wii owners (myself included) have 250 invested in the core system as oposed to 400-600 for 360/PS3 owners. As such, a newer version would likely cause less of a backlash than as seen in the current 360 release. Hell, if Nintendo REALLY wanted to zing the competition, offer a trade-up program (similar to EVGA's video cards) toward the new system.

All I'm saying is, consider Nintendo's position going into this current generation after the less-than-spectacular lasting power of the Gamecube, and then consider how different their approach was to console development from the competition. Maybe they are trying to be and stay different...but maybe they saw two choices: sink a lot of money into an all-or-nothing shot at a competitive console with a 'new' unproven control system, or test the waters and stay afloat, then consider the next move. Considering recent statements by Nintendo about their 'constant consideration' of new technology and platform ideas, I think it's probable.

Sorry for the long post, and if it's disconnected, but this is something I've been thinking about for a bit and this seemed the best time to post it...Nintendo's approach to this generation has been a refreshing but confusing move for me, and this theory connects the dots (for me) more than anything else I've thought of/heard about.

So, even if the Wii is 'inferior' to the XBox (lol), I think there is a reason. That's my point.

What if Nintendo is using it as a testbed for the control scheme, online interface, things that are new to Nintendo consoles, etc. Then they take the profit and invest it in further R&D for a 'beefed up' Wii with stronger graphics, audio, and online capabilities that could compete (if not rival) the 360 and PS3. They release the revamped console in 12-18 months with a higher price tag (300-400 area).

Hard for this to happen. If you are saying DS Phat vs. DS Lite, that is one thing. But the DS sames remained the same in graphics quality. What you are suggesting is an increase in graphics quality which will utterly alienate the buyers of the previous Wii.

With the Wii Nintendo took the same route as the DS. Make a comparatively inexpensive system, cheaper hardware, and add something innovative or neat to it. Oh and sell millions.

The problem though is that with the DS I'm okay with the crappy graphics because its portable and the screen is so small anyway, but with the Wii its crappy graphics (480p) are displayed onto a large HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p). With more and more people getting HDTV's (they are so cheap and its pretty hard not to get and HDTV theses days), more and more people will be disappointed in their Wii, graphically.

i have three friends with Wii's and I have one myself. We seem to agree that its neat at friend and sells you on the system, but after you get one yourself you soon realize its not that great. Hopefully it gets better though because it really lacks games right now.

Hard for this to happen. If you are saying DS Phat vs. DS Lite, that is one thing. But the DS sames remained the same in graphics quality. What you are suggesting is an increase in graphics quality which will utterly alienate the buyers of the previous Wii.

Totally agree, they can't do that because it would splits up the developers and the owners. Some developers will create weaker games (system wise) that can run on both Wii's (normal and theoretical new wii) and then some will create more system intensive games that will only run ont he new Wii.

Its the current problem to a smaller extent with the XBOX 360 core vs premium. Developers have to take into consideration users without the hard drive.

In some ways the xbox 1 is better then the wii. Someways it is not. Thing is graphics are not everything. Nintendo has proved this multiple times. Pretty much every competor to the gameboy was better then it hardware wise. Did it matter? No. Hell the PSP kills the DS in the graphics market. Nintendo is still kicking there ass. Nintendo as others have said is also making good money on their products.

I have both a wii and a 360. I consider the 360 my main system. Graphics wise it kills the wii. Hell some of the last gen games on the ps2 and xbox look as good as the wii games out right now. Guess what I still have a great time playing rayman, wario ware, excite truck 2 player, etc. System has been a great investment so far. Can't wait for some of the new games to come out for it.

I'm glad to see that everyone who rushes to defense of the Wii when compared unfavorably brings up the profitability of the console...

you all must own stock to be so concerned with company profitability.

I'm glad to see that everyone who rushes to defense of the Wii when compared unfavorably brings up the profitability of the console...

you all must own stock to be so concerned with company profitability.

I mention the profitabilty of it as I like a lot of nintendos games. If they don't make money they go under. Microsoft and sony have the ability to put a shit load of money into something. Microsoft will lose money in the console market for 10 years as they know if they pull it off in 15 they will be pulling in huge profits. Nintendo doesn't have this ability. They need to make the money today.

Hmm, the xbox was the most besterest, maybe thats why the wii's launch price is $50 cheaper than the original xbox :rolleyes:

The Wii bashing is just comical. For the record I own a PS3, 360, and a Wii. Graphically the Wii can't compete -- however from a gameplay, entertainment and overall fun factor standpoint I have played my ps3 and 360 combined LESS than my Wii (yes games look superior in every way on my 360 and PS3, yes theyre both good systems im not even debating this). I just dont get people bashing the thing, perhaps its because they either 1) cant find one or 2) haven't tried it. Does it really matter anymore when you cant even buy an xbox what its gpu was capable of in comparison to the Wii? Every current system has its strengths and weaknesses. People need to just enjoy the systems and stop bashing each of them. I hate to say it but games have seriously gone down hill in general over the past few years. I find myself less and less interested in playing through games like I use to for the most part. I have however found a handfull (zelda, super paper mario, etc) for the Wii that I have played through. Maybe its just me but the games are FUN, is that not what games are for - to entertain us?

Nintendo knew if they tried to make a system with similiar specs to the 360 and PS3 this gen they would have gotten their ass kicked in. So they did the smartest next best thing,(which they always do) make a gimmicky console ala on the cheap and the masses will buy into it. They were correct on this assumption and for that I say good for them. If they hadn't made this decision I'm pretty confident next gen we would have had 1 less competitior in the frey.

The whole point of this article is retarded.
They obviously missed the point. It doesnt matter if the Wii doesnt do 40gizziliion gigaflopss or whatever. Fact of the matter is, I come home from work and mother is playing bowling on Wii at 3 in the afternoon.

This will never happen with Halo or a PS3.

Guess what guys? Its fun to play bowling with your grandma. It not fun to play GTA with grandma. Does your grandma care about HD anything? Of course not.

This article missed the entire point of the the Wii, and obviously these guys have no clue what their talking about. (It doesnt play DVD's!!! :rolleyes:)

There is a reason Nintendo never released the console specs.
They dont matter.

Fun is not measured in GFLOPS.

I wish I had a dollar for every time a Wii fangirl mentions bowling with their Grandma on their Wii as a reason why it is so awesome. I see my Grandma twice a year, whether she can play my game systems or not is the least of my worries. Nearly half a year after launch and the only exclusive worth a damn is a free pack in that aims to replace rummy as the next holiday pass-time for the family.

OMG Grandma can bowl on teh Wii!!! PWN!

as a 360 owner and a Wii owner.. i can say that the wii is stronger graphically than the Xbox1..

you're a fool if you honestly believe othrewise.. the wii is under powered yes.. but jees not that underpowered

I wish I had a dollar for every time a Wii fangirl mentions bowling with their Grandma on their Wii as a reason why it is so awesome. I see my Grandma twice a year, whether she can play my game systems or not is the least of my worries. Nearly half a year after launch and the only exclusive worth a damn is a free pack in that aims to replace rummy as the next holiday pass-time for the family.

It matters because Grandmas, or more aptly people who didn't play video games in general, are the exact people that Nintendo set out to bring in with the Wii. If the thing is still selling out nearly a half a year since launch, if it's bringing the very people Nintendo were aiming for into gaming, then how can it be called anything other than a success?

It may not have the games that you want, and that's fine, but millions of people have purchased the system, and millions more want to. I'm very excited for Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and if both hit this year I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

I've enjoyed my Wii so far, but I'll agree it hasn't had any killer apps yet. However, most system's don't have anything like that within 6 months of launch. The 360 didn't, the PS3 doesn't, and neither does the Wii. Judging a console by what you've seen for less than 1/10th of it's lifespan is lunacy.

That you're not impressed with the Wii's lineup so far doesn't matter, because Nintendo wasn't catering to you. They were catering to the people who didn't play, or the people who stopped playing long ago. I remember the days of playing Rad Racer and Super Mario with my dad, but as games became more complicated somewhere along the way the industry lost him. The NES was the last time I remember playing a game alongside by dad, but the Wii changed all that, Nintendo succeeded in bringing him back into the gaming world. He's played more Wii Sports than I have, and he whoops my ass at golf everytime. Maybe playing with your family isn't important to you, and while it's not my priority when it comes to gaming, it's something I appreciate and it's something I'll remember.

If Nintendo can continue to tap into that market, if they can keep them interested, they'll expand gaming far beyond the level of "OMG NORMAL MAPPING!" and "OHYEAHDX10!".

Even if the Wii is underpowered, I still think Metroid, Smash and Galaxys are going to kick some major ass, and their enough reason for me to own the console. Even though I think that Wii Sports and Zelda where enough reason to buy the console.

Looks to me as if they are talking about programmable shaders not overall horse power. Quotes out of context for the lose -_-

I constantly see the digitimes link as evidence to them earning $70 a console, but I don't think this is the case. They are selling them to retailers at some price I have no idea about, but it most definitely isn't retail. They could still be taking a loss on each console or making a small profit, I don't know or think it is even relevant in this conversation.

As for the Xbox vs. Wii graphic comparison in my opinion it is plausible that the Wii is inferior graphically. There were a lot of really good looking Xbox games that I think look as good, if not better, than anything on the Wii at the moment. I realize that the Xbox had more time for developers to get accustomed to it or whatever, but that is my opinion at this point. With that said the Wii is obviously doing something right as people simply enjoy playing it. I personally dont see myself owning one as I don't like to flail around the room when I play a game, but I guess I'm just not Nintendo's target market these days.

For Microsofts sake I hope that this was simply a slip in their public relations. It seems like attacking the Wii these days makes you a target for ridicule and they are nearly in two different categories, certainly not direct competitors. They need to stick to kicking Sony while they're down.

I personally dont see myself owning one as I don't like to flail around the room when I play a game

You don't have to flail around. You can play them with small movements and even sit down while playing. Of course if you don't like any of the games out for the Wii then it's pointless to own.

What is interesting about the Wii is that 360 and PS3 fans will mock Nintendo for catering to kids, yet it's the Wii that has all the adults playing while the audiences for the 360 and PS3 are made up of adolescent Grand Theft Auto and Halo fans. It's weird how the gaming press hasn't caught on that it's the 360/PS3 that is played by sugar-charged kiddies while Nintendo systems are played by adults who grew up with the NES and SNES.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings fanb~!ogirl! :rolleyes:

Have you guys seen Super Mario Galaxy? That game looks fantastic! There were some great looking games on Gamecube and considering the Wii is a bit more powerful I'm sure we'll see the graphics mature a bit as developers start learning how to exploit the system's power.

Back