MPAA Shuts Down Another 29 File Sharing Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who lit the fire under the MPAA's butt? In the last week alone, the MPAA and their friends at BREIN have taken down almost 30 file sharing sites. Wow. Thanks to dirksquarejaw for the link.

“This year we have made over 600 of these sites inaccessible. Some seek refuge in a foreign hosting provider. These 29 apparently thought that in America they could go undisturbed. That is incorrect,” Kuik said.

won't it be ironic when China folds all of our national debt AND file sharing sites? :)

oh, so the mpaa closed sites in clog country.... Yay for them... I'm pretty sure if I wanted to get a movie to a friend who wears clogs I could. oh and if the dikefingerers just used a different dns server, ahem, google dns, they could run rings around these clowns.

Last time I checked, torrent sites didn't host files.

Hard or not, they don't host the files. How about we take down Google for linking to file sharing sites?

The might as well. The people running these sites know full well 98% of what they're allowing their systems to search for and track is infringing material. Google has no control over the content of the sites the pop up on their search results.

The might as well. The people running these sites know full well 98% of what they're allowing their systems to search for and track is infringing material. Google has no control over the content of the sites the pop up on their search results.

Nothing about what those sites did was actually legal. And those sites weren't just taken down, the domain names were seized and acquired, with no due process and with no illegal activity taking place, all by a private company. They basically got the site taken down because they didn't likeit.This should worry everyone.

Nothing about what those sites did was actually legal. And those sites weren't just taken down, the domain names were seized and acquired, with no due process and with no illegal activity taking place, all by a private company. They basically got the site taken down because they didn't likeit.This should worry everyone.

fixed:
Nothing about what those sites did was actually illegal. And those sites weren't just taken down, the domain names were seized and acquired, with no due process and with no illegal activity taking place, all by a private company. They basically got the site taken down because they didn't likeit.This should worry everyone.

fixed:
Nothing about what those sites did was actually illegal. And those sites weren't just taken down, the domain names were seized and acquired, with no due process and with no illegal activity taking place, all by a private company. They basically got the site taken down because they didn't likeit.This should worry everyone.

Despite being hosted in the US the anti-piracy outfit cited Dutch law as the reason for the closures. “They are directed at the Dutch public” and “unlawful under Dutch law,” Kuik told TorrentFreak.

“Through cooperation with our foreign colleagues we can make sites in other countries inaccessible,” he added.

BREIN says it will also seek out the personal details of those who operate the sites in order to hold them personally liable.

These are deals you take down the site havening in your country that does piracy we'll take down the one in ours =p

Hard or not, they don't host the files. How about we take down Google for linking to file sharing sites?
Yes but is as a middle man they certainly are not clean. Intent is needed as per intent these sites are commonly used for piracy.

In America, you are free until you break the law.

Ok, so these guys are breaking the law?( they haven't gone to court, and been found guilty yet, so they must be innocent.Thats the American way.Years ago we all knew that in Mexico, if your charged, you have to prove to the court your innocent. What this tells me is in America they have been willing to give up even more of their rights. I guess the Corporatist have implemented and follow a different set of laws, then were to believe. But then again if Americans are going to roll over and play dead I guess its just going to get worst.

Despite being hosted in the US the anti-piracy outfit cited Dutch law as the reason for the closures. “They are directed at the Dutch public” and “unlawful under Dutch law,” Kuik told TorrentFreak.

“Through cooperation with our foreign colleagues we can make sites in other countries inaccessible,” he added.

BREIN says it will also seek out the personal details of those who operate the sites in order to hold them personally liable.

These are deals you take down the site havening in your country that does piracy we'll take down the one in ours =p

Yes but is as a middle man they certainly are not clean. Intent is needed as per intent these sites are commonly used for piracy.

BREIN is lying. Linking to copyrighted material isn't illegal. These torrent sites are used for perfectly legal material as well. And besides, here in the Netherlands it's 100% legal to download a copy of any music track or video for your own use.

Then again BREIN has never done anything for us Dutch people. Like the RIAA/MPAA they're just there to further the schemes of the fascistic 'content producers'. Currently they're trying to make downloading copyrighted material you didn't pay for illegal. Problem: it can't be enforced as there's no way one can check with 100% certainty what is copyrighted and when one has paid for it and when not.

Lol...spend thousands on lawyers so a random 17 year old has to find another host?

This will not end well for them.

fixed:

Agreed
Why the hell any private company can have such power is beyond me:confused:

I'm fine with people wanting to protect their stuff, but not at the expense of due process. What I dislike most about this is how the hosting services are rolling over and pulling the plug so easily. It used to be that hosts stood up for their customers if someone tried bully tactics. Now all they need is a nastygram from the MPAA or RIAA and poof, there goes your website. This is a direct result of the MPAA and RIAA knowing that they cannot take these sites down using a court challenge or they'd lose, and it would set a legal precedent. It's extortion. I really hope they run across a host that tells them what to go do with themselves and it ends up in court.

They call them the MAFIAA for a reason :)

Mob rule~

I love when they take these down, either they just move to a different domain or spilt and form about 5 new web pages.

What a bunch of retards. They are just sending all the ad revenue to China and Russia instead of keeping it in the USA.

This is merely just another round of whack-a-mole. Nothing more. You can't stop the scene this way.

It's kinda hard to get the files without a tracker though.

Bit Torrent went tracker-less years ago. Go check out DHT (distributed hash table). As long as one peer stays in the swarm, the torrent can live on!

Unless the torrent was created without DHT support...

Bit Torrent went tracker-less years ago. Go check out DHT (distributed hash table). As long as one peer stays in the swarm, the torrent can live on!

Unless the torrent was created without DHT support...

I knew about DHT... but didn't know it was implemented well enough so that Bit Torrent could be considered trackerless.

I knew about DHT... but didn't know it was implemented well enough so that Bit Torrent could be considered trackerless.

The mainline DHT can do it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_tracker#Trackerless_torrents

http://torrentfreak.com/common-bittorrent-dht-myths-091024/

Particularly this entry:

Myth: You need to connect to a tracker, before you can use DHT
Wrong — When DHT is enabled (certainly in uTorrent) it connects to a bootstrap node (such as router.utorrent.com or router.bittorrent.com for mainline, or dht.aelitis.com for Vuze) and uses that to enter the DHT ‘swarm’. It’s handed a set of DHT nodes and uses that to build up a small group of connected nodes. Those nodes are then used to get peers. No tracker is required at any time.

I know a lawyer that says the reason for all the shutdowns is the MPAA and similar organizations have paid off all the politicians in Europe and here in USA. Can anybody dispute or agree with that?

I know a lawyer that says the reason for all the shutdowns is the MPAA and similar organizations have paid off all the politicians in Europe and here in USA. Can anybody dispute or agree with that?

You mean corruption? That's hardly a rumour any more, now is it? :)

I can guarantee that for you. Here in Spain, some years ago, any website that was accused of anything would go to court and then, a jury would decide what to do. I don't think there was any web closed because there was nothing ilegal.

So, when the elections come you could see many artists supporting one of the parties...and when that party won they made a law so that, in order to "make the process faster" they would create an association that would decide wether the site was or wasn't ilegal.

PS: I don't think I have to explain what kind of people were part of that association :D and how they shut the websites now :cool:

why dont these sites host somewhere where nobody gives a shit about piracy, like eastern europe?

Back