Mozilla Readies Major Firefox Redesign

But in the real world people rarely if ever 'customize' their machines or browsers.

If I had a dollar for every old laptop that still defaulted to the OEMs MSN/support page on the browser I'd have quite a lot of dollars.

Once again the reality disconnect of tech developers and real world users.

Most users don't even notice when annoying toolbars appear let alone customize and remove them.
If your seeing MSN a lot, they are on IE and haven't even installed FireFox. Or like my installed FF and never customized IE but perhaps left IE as the default system browser.

If your seeing MSN a lot, they are on IE and haven't even installed FireFox. Or like my installed FF and never customized IE but perhaps left IE as the default system browser.

No thats my point. Firefox isn't even there.

If I install it I get "Oh what's that? A browser? I didn't know there was any other!"

:mad::confused:

They are wasting a lot of effort really.

I'm sticking with version 10 ESR.

I gave up on the new browser because of the 100% CPU bug that they introduced, and never bothered to fix. It felt kind of pathetic when the whole browser would choke on something as simple as their default home page with only a search box. On my desktop, it just made the browser unresponsive, but on my underpowered laptop, it made the whole system unresponsive.

I still don't like Chrome, though, so Firefox pre-100% CPU bug it is.

No thats my point. Firefox isn't even there.

If I install it I get "Oh what's that? A browser? I didn't know there was any other!"

:mad::confused:

They are wasting a lot of effort really.
My point is the PC's you see aren't a cross-section of all PC's. Firefox will never reach those people. And a lot of Chrome users are using Chrome because google link is shoved in their face every day. Firefox will never reach those folks either.

People need to stop chasing unicorns and rainbows and just fix their current shit.

Did something I should have done a long time ago :

Ditched Firefox for Seamonkey. Finally, an interface for people with an IQ > 100.

Why do companies feel the need to keep changing stuff? Every time they do, people are mad. Why bother? Leave it the way people are comfortable with! You'd think companies would have learned from that by seeing MS doing it. But then Google keeps doing it (Youtube gets a new interface like, what, every month now?) and now even open source companies are doing it. Linux with Unity, now this. Stop changing stuff people! Nobody wants or asks for this.

I guess all we can do is wait and see.

i hope it doesn't screw up my favorite addon/theme qute 3++
and i still prefer tabs on bottom too. but more and more ff seems to just want to be a clone of chrome =/

Is Seamonkey even maintained anymore?

Yes. The backend (Gecko) is updated around the same time Firefox is updated. The difference is, they don't change the interface around every few versions or remove features because actual programmers rather than yuppie "user experience designers" are in charge.

Reading Firefox news articles are getting pretty sad. For some reason Firefox users, in this forum and elsewhere, are behaving like Vista or XP users. They feel the need to defend the reason for not of switching to Chrome already, as it's something that is inevitable.

I find Chrome's look to be disgusting. I also find the advertising budget that Google has for Chrome to be equally disgusting. You compare that to Mozilla, who has almost zero advertising budget, and I find it quite applaudable that Firefox is able to compete against Google. The one that doesn't spend millions in advertising is holding it's own, what does that say about the browser?

So if you use Firefox, who gives a fuck? Both browsers have benefits that the other doesn't have, so don't feel ashamed for using the one that peer pressure is trying to get you to switch from. Keep rocking the fox!

As for the screenshots, they suck, and are an obvious Chrome ripoff. If this happens I might switch to Opera.

Some of the info given about toolbars here is wrong. What exactly is going away is the ability to add them through the customize window and even then the announcement is more to start discussions on what should be removed and what should stay. The idea is to make it harder for novice users to screw their interface up by accident.

Some of the info given about toolbars here is wrong. What exactly is going away is the ability to add them through the customize window and even then the announcement is more to start discussions on what should be removed and what should stay. The idea is to make it harder for novice users to screw their interface up by accident.

Nothing should be removed. I don't give a damn if some mouthbreathing idiot fucks up their browser. So tired of shit being dumbed down for idiots. Firefox is basically unusable now without half a dozen extensions just to fix what the imbecilic "developers" (really, it is a bunch of pretentious yuppie hipsters who think they know better than the user) removed and I shudder to think how many more it would require to fix Australis. It doesn't help that the idiotic rapid release cycle manages to break extensions every month; there are tons of people who are using outdated and insecure versions of Firefox for this reason alone.

Throwing the settings in about:config isn't a solution either; what that basically says is that you are too incompetent to design an interface that provides advanced configuration while being easy to use. It is the equivalent of a child cleaning their room by sweeping everything under the bed.

It is power users that made Firefox. Without us, it would be nothing.

You compare that to Mozilla, who has almost zero advertising budget, and I find it quite applaudable that Firefox is able to compete against Google.

Maybe because Firefox already had huge market penetration before Chrome was a glint in Google's eye? People know it as the alternative of Internet Explorer, and that's good enough for most.

Nothing should be removed. I don't give a damn if some mouthbreathing idiot fucks up their browser. So tired of shit being dumbed down for idiots. Firefox is basically unusable now without half a dozen extensions just to fix what the imbecilic "developers" (really, it is a bunch of pretentious yuppie hipsters who think they know better than the user) removed and I shudder to think how many more it would require to fix Australis. It doesn't help that the idiotic rapid release cycle manages to break extensions every month; there are tons of people who are using outdated and insecure versions of Firefox for this reason alone.

Throwing the settings in about:config isn't a solution either; what that basically says is that you are too incompetent to design an interface that provides advanced configuration while being easy to use. It is the equivalent of a child cleaning their room by sweeping everything under the bed.

It is power users that made Firefox. Without us, it would be nothing.

I haven't had a update break an extension in months, and usually the post I run into that do have issues are extensions that are essentially abandoned. They make moves to give people what they want and they complain, and if they kept everything the same than others will (actually have) complain that it's so dated. The same arguments you are making are the same ones that happened with Windows, several versions of Linux and will eventually happen with Chrome too once something new comes along.

There are other ways to save people form themselves without taking away customization. Like a Lock toolbar flag that asks for confirmation to unlock. But once unlocked it stays unlocked. Or a menu reset button.

I haven't had a update break an extension in months

The theme I use breaks *every month*. Without it, Firefox looks like ass because GTK looks like ass (and frankly, any programmer worth their salt should be using QT anyways).

and usually the post I run into that do have issues are extensions that are essentially abandoned.

I don't have time to fix a bunch of abandoned extensions. A browser is a tool, not a god damned experience (This right here[/URL explains so much of what the problem is with these people)]. When the tool becomes more work than it is worth, I abandon the tool as I just did with Firefox. I hope that every power user ditches them and goes to something like Seamonkey since they seem to simply want to make Firefox a poor knockoff of Chrome.

I don't recall any particular demand for Firefox 4's interface and I haven't seen much of a demand for the changes in Australis. I would have been perfectly content if they had kept Firefox 3.5's interface. Again, a browser is a tool. It is not supposed to be some chic work of art that keeps changing everytime some designer gets bored. It is as if the entirety of Mozilla is just going around and looking for changes to make for changes sake.

, and if they kept everything the same than others will (actually have) complain that it's so dated. The same arguments you are making are the same ones that happened with Windows, several versions of Linux and will eventually happen with Chrome too once something new comes along.

A browser is a tool. It is no different than a screwdriver. You don't see people complaining that a screwdriver hasn't changed. Let the hipsters go to Chrome and leave Firefox to the intelligent users.

With Chrome horrendous cache clearing ,or lack there off and frequent "whoops.." errors when other browsers like IE and FF work....i am tempted to try it

Just saw what Australis looks like. WTF?

Why don't the designers simply join the Chrome team?

Just saw what Australis looks like. WTF?

Why don't the designers simply join the Chrome team?

Seriously? They copy chrome and everyone notices right off the bat but the fact that the current UI of firefox was just as shamelessly ripped off from opera goes completely unnoticed? This is thier new tactic apparently, do what others are doing until something works.

Mozilla sucks ass anymore, been that way a few years now.

I stayed with 3.6 for a long time, like the rest of you I can only agree... the browser is a tool. I dont need an emotional attachment. I want it to work quickly and I want it to work the way I like to work it... which means customization, which is where FF traditionally has been strong.

Seriously... make it easier to use? It displays the frikken page it's fed, how much easier can it get? If I wanted "slick" and "clean" I'd switch to Chrome.

Leave it the frell alone, stop with the version bump every 2 weeks, and clean up the damn bloated code. Removing options is *never* a good idea, especially when it was power users who made people aware of your product in the first place... newsflash, newbie idiot numbskulls will never care what brand browser they are using, they'll just use whatever we put on their machines... keep up these moronic practices obviously done by a committee of hipsters without a day of corporate experience in their collective lives, and that will NOT be firefox on those machines.

As it is, I use Palemoon at home and I'm pretty sure the maintainer of it feels the same way as the rest of us... wonder if he'll be sticking with it...

Seriously? They copy chrome and everyone notices right off the bat but the fact that the current UI of firefox was just as shamelessly ripped off from opera goes completely unnoticed? This is thier new tactic apparently, do what others are doing until something works.

Mozilla sucks ass anymore, been that way a few years now.
Extensions dude. Extensions put Firefox on the map and Opera was late implementing them.

Why do companies feel the need to keep changing stuff? Every time they do, people are mad. Why bother? Leave it the way people are comfortable with! You'd think companies would have learned from that by seeing MS doing it. But then Google keeps doing it (Youtube gets a new interface like, what, every month now?) and now even open source companies are doing it. Linux with Unity, now this. Stop changing stuff people! Nobody wants or asks for this.

I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Many do ask for it, and even if they don't, people don't always know exactly what is best in software for them. Besides, it seems to be working for Microsoft considering they have virtually all of the PC market while Linux has... virtually none. Linux needs to adapt and evolve if it ever wants to be more than a rounding error on the desktop.

Many do ask for it, and even if they don't, people don't always know exactly what is best in software for them. Besides, it seems to be working for Microsoft considering they have virtually all of the PC market while Linux has... virtually none. Linux needs to adapt and evolve if it ever wants to be more than a rounding error on the desktop.
That's a problem though. What Linux needs is automatic installation on most desktops. Instead they spend a lot of energy to give it new curtains.

Doesn't matter what the curtains look like if someone has to track down a special driver. Which it has gotten better too. But easy installation is hard and new curtains are easy relatively.

Some people have trouble with Unity because its a graphical interface. Other people have trouble with Unity because its a bad graphical interface (although that is subjective).

That's a problem though. What Linux needs is automatic installation on most desktops. Instead they spend a lot of energy to give it new curtains.

Not even Windows has automatic installation.

Doesn't matter what the curtains look like if someone has to track down a special driver. Which it has gotten better too. But easy installation is hard and new curtains are easy relatively.

A Windows install requires you to track down far more drivers than a GNU/Linux install. *nix operating systems tend to view drivers as part of the core operating system rather than as things to be downloaded. Most drivers are developed as part of the source tree of the Linux kernel.

Maybe because Firefox already had huge market penetration before Chrome was a glint in Google's eye? People know it as the alternative of Internet Explorer, and that's good enough for most.
Considering a very large amount of Internet users will steal anything they can get their hands on, you would think that a piece of freeware that is shoved down their throats would have a significant following over any competition by now.

I've been defending Firefox for years because I believe that non-profit groups like the Mozilla Foundation play an important role in defending users' rights, but it's time to separate the good from the bad. Firefox is circling the drain.

If "borrowing" the Opera design cues and Chrome rapid release schedule weren't enough evidence, the Chrome design cues are definitive evidence that the developers have absolutely no original ideas of their own.

Welp, the addon bar is gone now too :
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=872209

Fucking idiots. Not everyone believes it is appropriate for a text box to function as a status bar seeing as they are two different controls. One of the fundamental rules of UI design is that a control should do one thing.

So we have :

1.Using the address bar as a status bar = Inappropriate use of controls
2.Putting tabs in the title bar = Inappropriate use of controls. Not everyone maximizes their windows and tabs do not belong in the title bar.
3.Removal of the addon bar and thus breaking any addons that give back the status bar.
4.Removal of the certificate manager thus eliminating the ability to have personal certificates (necessary for certain websites such as when you get a certificate online) and the ability to install custom root certificates.
5.Removal of the ability to turn Javascript off from preferences.
6.Removal of the ability to turn Images off from preferences.
7.Removal of the ability to configure browser cache.
8.Deprecation of sidebars in favor of idiotic popups : http://shorlander.dropmark.com/118810/1831623 (Also see : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=868135#c5)

Idiots.

8.Deprecation of sidebars in favor of idiotic popups :
I have a 23" 16:9 monitor. I do not mind the sidebar at all. And I tend to find popups annoying.

I think I'm going with what seems like a less and less 'off the wall' theory that Firefox is being sabotaged.

I have a 23" 16:9 monitor. I do not mind the sidebar at all. And I tend to find popups annoying.

I think I'm going with what seems like a less and less 'off the wall' theory that Firefox is being sabotaged.

Well, the Firefox developers have decided that you do not need sidebars and they plan to remove them in the future.

Basically, any feature that Chrome doesn't have is getting removed because the nightmare team of Asa Dotzler, Stephen Horlander, and Alex Limi have some kind of weird fetish for Chrome.

Opera is still my favorite of all of them. Can't really pinpoint why, but it is.

I moved to Waterfox and only use Firefox to launch Battlefield 3 (seriously, a 32bit browser requirement?) I really hope Australis doesn't turn out to be crap, my country has enough problems to deal with as well as possibly being associated with a sub par browser.

Well, the Firefox developers have decided that you do not need sidebars and they plan to remove them in the future.

Basically, any feature that Chrome doesn't have is getting removed because the nightmare team of Asa Dotzler, Stephen Horlander, and Alex Limi have some kind of weird fetish for Chrome.
Wondering if this is an attempt at unifying with the Firefox mobile browser. I've tried it and I would like to like it, but I can't. And it has nothing to do with how it looks or how much its different than the PC browser. It just runs poorly on any device I've tried so far.

Did something I should have done a long time ago :

Ditched Firefox for Seamonkey. Finally, an interface for people with an IQ > 100.

I'm curious of what measure (how?) a user interface is of the users' IQ?

I'm curious of what measure (how?) a user interface is of the users' IQ?

If it's designed to protect users from themselves, it's designed for morons.

Otherwise, people might discover scary things like customization and actually being able to configure grown-up options.

Back