Moving away from gaming headphones to Audiophile? Did I say that right?

Unrelated. I have a Pioneer receiver, do these work as amps in any capacity?

Yea, I use an Onkyo reciever for my headphones connected to my PC via analog rca but have used digital optical and coax connected that way too. This allows me to power my Energy RC1 speakers/sub and also have a headphone amp. If you get EMI issues connected with analog RCA you can connect via optical to eliminate it or get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack, you can also try coax digital but that might get EMI too. I've never had EMI issue with coax but did on one PC with analog RCA so used ground loop isolator to fix it. It was the mb itself that was the issue (Asrock) and have no such issue on current mb (Asus).

I used to have a dedicated tube headphone amp and still have a SS headphone amp, also have EMU0404 USB soundcard that has a ClassA headphone amp built in, also used to have audiolab 8000A integrated amp hooked up because it had dedicated headphone amp seperate from main amp, also have used Denon receiver connected to computer. You will get people say A sounds better than B but IMO they all sound very similar/same/identical and in hindsight I should have just stayed with a receiver and saved myself a few bucks. Receiver offers a lot more options and best-bang-for-buck, IMO. With a receiver you can use any speaker and not be limited by "computer" speakers. Same with headphones. Receivers also have enough power for any headphone but some dedicated headphone amps are a bit weak for some headphones. Soundcard headphone amps are not very powerful at all. My Emu0404 amp is 20mw but my tube amp was around 200mw and believe my SS headphone amp is 60mw. With beyerDT990pro I had to turn volume to almost full on the EMU to get really loud volume. You will get better bass with an amp so maybe it is your soundcards lack of power that is making you think the headphones are not all that good.

Last edited:
Yea, I use an Onkyo reciever for my headphones connected to my PC via analog rca but have used digital optical and coax connected that way too. This allows me to power my Energy RC1 speakers/sub and also have a headphone amp. If you get EMI issues connected with analog RCA you can connect via optical to eliminate it or get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack, you can also try coax digital but that might get EMI too. I've never had EMI issue with coax but did on one PC with analog RCA so used ground loop isolator to fix it. It was the mb itself that was the issue (Asrock) and have no such issue on current mb (Asus).

I used to have a dedicated tube headphone amp and still have a SS headphone amp, also have EMU0404 USB soundcard that has a ClassA headphone amp built in, also used to have audiolab 8000A integrated amp hooked up because it had dedicated headphone amp seperate from main amp, also have used Denon receiver connected to computer. You will get people say A sounds better than B but IMO they all sound very similar/same/identical and in hindsight I should have just stayed with a receiver and saved myself a few bucks. Receiver offers a lot more options and best-bang-for-buck, IMO. With a receiver you can use any speaker and not be limited by "computer" speakers. Same with headphones. Receivers also have enough power for any headphone but some dedicated headphone amps are a bit weak for some headphones. Soundcard headphone amps are not very powerful at all. My Emu0404 amp is 20mw but my tube amp was around 200mw and believe my SS headphone amp is 60mw. With beyerDT990pro I had to turn volume to almost full on the EMU to get really loud volume. You will get better bass with an amp so maybe it is your soundcards lack of power that is making you think the headphones are not all that good.

Thank you for this information. So, to summarize. x2's into receiver. Receiver in titanium xfi? or is the pioneer now what carries that simulated surround and I need to plug into on board?

Depends how you hook up the soundcard to the receiver. If analog RCA than the soundcard does the DAC, if you use optical or coax from the soundcard to receiver then the receiver does the DAC. You can still use the receivers simulated surround modes for both analog or digital.

Is Titanium pretty much the same as my Xtreme-Music edition? You can connect from the soundcard to the receiver either with digital coax using the versa jack on the X-fi by setting it to digital i/p mode (receiver becomes the DAC) or you can connect with a computer mini jack adapter to stereo RCA cable in the receiver input from soundcard stereo output and then the X-Fi stays the DAC. In both modes you can still use your receiver simulated surround modes.

Yeah I might be, and I'm wondering if I should just start moving away from the importance of positional in games.

So, I'm looking at the V-MODA M100, but has anyone had any experience with any of the Bowers and Wilkins sets? I know I'm going off the grid but I always sort of liked them.

Also the Audio Technica r70-x.

It sounds to me like you want some bass. Have you tried other sources? Maybe your PC soundcard settings are messed up and the bass is lowered?

As for the V-Moda M100, I haven't used those but the previous crossfades I do own and they are great. One of the most bass heavy headphones I own without being overwhelming and they have an excellent overall sound quality.

As for the B&W's, I have a pair of P5 on ears, they probably aren't what you are looking for. The are not bass centric, they do have a good rich sound but are not bass monsters. They have tight responsive bass but not earth shattering. The bass on these would be similar to my HD 555 to be honest. They also aren't great for long sessions, after a couple hours my ears are all sweaty with them. They do have a premium build though and are made from high quality and sturdy materials. The P7's might be better but I haven't head them but I do expect they would have a similar sound to the P5's.

If you're looking at the M-100s, keep in mind the XL memory cushions available, too. Possibly a great help with comfort depending on your ears.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey OP, what are your soundcard settings and what media player are you using? You should get foobar2000 and install wasapi component as that bypasses the directsound api so nothing is messing with the SQ, you should also play around with the EQ in foobar, you can change the SQ quite a bit with that, boost the bass a bit and lower the high frequencies a bit.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_meiercf

In DSP manager enable Advanced Limiter and Equalizer.

Sennheiser is the best all around for gaming in my opinion. Grado is even more bang for the buck with respect to sound quality but comfort, build quality and durability are not on par with Sennheiser.

You are good to go with Sennheiser out of your soundcard up to the 600 series, but once you hit the HD600 you will need an external amplifier. That was my experience.

My path was 590 to HD600 to Grado PS1000. There is diminishing returns for gaming. For gaming the HD600 is overkill, for example, The 598 is perfect for gaming. I remember my 590s had such good positional capability that I could twirl and find snipers in the bushes in BF2. The amped HD600 was better, more refined, more slam, less distortion but the gaming experience itself was not so improved that I would recommend going with an amp and HD600 just for games.

If you get a chance try any over the ear Grado headphone. Huge bang for the buck. Even the $80 model is good.

Generally speaking, audiophile phones will always beat gaming branded phones. Open back circumaural phones are my preference.

Last edited:
While it's a good deal on some really nice closed-back headphones (I really, really wish I could afford that right now) $400 is substantially more than anything else the OP has been looking at.

I originally thought 6-7 would be feasible, I guess I'm not there now since this dragged on so long but I'd still be willing to hear suggestions in that range.

Most of the suggestions have been 3-4 anyway though.

Minor update.

I played The Division beta today and they really came alive (the Fidelio x2's) so I have high hopes that I'm getting used to them. Dialogue is really incredible.

For instance, I have been playing heroes of the storm with the Space Lord leoric skin, and the game it's self just sounds kind of blaze. But when he speaks it's so deep and it resonates, really comes alive.

The volume is still a little bit weak, so if I give you guys the model of this receiver I have can you tell me how well it does amping? Or as previously stated they all do it fairly well beyond external amp

Minor update.

I played The Division beta today and they really came alive (the Fidelio x2's) so I have high hopes that I'm getting used to them. Dialogue is really incredible.

For instance, I have been playing heroes of the storm with the Space Lord leoric skin, and the game it's self just sounds kind of blaze. But when he speaks it's so deep and it resonates, really comes alive.

The volume is still a little bit weak, so if I give you guys the model of this receiver I have can you tell me how well it does amping? Or as previously stated they all do it fairly well beyond external amp

I run the Philips X2 into a creative x7 external sound card (basically a soundblaster zxr in an external enclosure). I have my windows set to 70 and 99% of the time have to turn down in game volume or else my ears blow off. It does have an amp bit its nothing to write home about.

What do you have the headsets plugged into? I feel like the Titanium HD is more than enough but if not you can upgrade or you can get a cheap dedicated amp to boost volume (a cheap cmoy amp... there are a lot of options out there)

Another great headphone for gaming is the AKG K7xx from massdrop. They go for $200. Another is K612Pro which is $145 on amazon.

Minor update.

ok, this is not a troll bait or sarcasm... so here it goes...

have you tried a Beats or Bose?

i wonder if that is more of the sound you are looking for.

ok, this is not a troll bait or sarcasm... so here it goes...

have you tried a Beats or Bose?

i wonder if that is more of the sound you are looking for.

I have not yet, but maybe I will give it a shot.

I actually am back in the market for headphones and an amp with a larger budget this time so trying to refresh some of the content in this thread. Thinking maybe 6-800 and just being done with it.

Whatever source gear plus Sony MA-900 equates to a very great stereo setup with otherworldly positional tracking.

I'd say the Audio Technica AD series are pretty good for gaming too due to the fact that they are brighter on the sound scale and with the wide sound stage do really well with gaming. I use Sennheiser HD800S for music, but for gaming I typically stick to the Audio Technica AD2000X since it's tilted more to the treble side and helps a lot with pinpointing voices and positional cues.

I have 3 pairs of headphones and there is not a week that goes by I haven't used all 3.
I have some of the cheaper grados with aftermarket g-cush style ear pads and I added padding to the head strap. (I use these the most actually as I like the open especially when using voice coms)
ATH-m50 Solid headphone think they have gone up in price since I got em.
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs (these are really good.really..lil on the heavy side though..those pads and sound is awesome)

I use O2 amp/ odac rev b dac combo for sound from mayflower. There are other places that make them as well.

Mic, I use the modmic and can quickly swap the mic boom to each headphone with the magnetic clasp it has.

Long gaming sessions I have to have an open back headphone.

I will probably get some HD650's next.

I have zero reason to upgrade my amp as it is louder than my ears can take without distortion.

Right now the Hifiman HE 400I is on sale for 329. This has me tempted.

The he560 is also 599 but the reviews on those say they have that flatter sound I wasn't a fan of.

I might pull the trigger on the 400i

Personally IMHO if you want a full hifi set up you are going to push a little bit of money. I got my Asus Essence STX for $150 used a bit back, then got the Schiit Asgard 1 for $150, and a pair of DT990 Pro for $100. I love the sound.

Right now the Hifiman HE 400I is on sale for 329. This has me tempted.

The he560 is also 599 but the reviews on those say they have that flatter sound I wasn't a fan of.

I might pull the trigger on the 400i

If you are going to get any hi-fi cans the HE 400i is definitely the way to go. Also look into Schiit Audio. They have some of the best DAC and Amps I think. Soon enough I will be looking into getting the Bifrost and dropping my Essence STX.

Back