Moved, mods can delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I've got a big problem. My 7700K is relidded, having used superglue on the IHS edges as suggested by the maker of Rockit88's delid tool. The result is a lower Z-height on the IHS, and as a result, smaller gap between die and IHS internally. Win win, right?

Except, it seems that EK's monoblock, which is NOT height adjustable, relies on the surface of the CPU IHS having at least a minimum Z-height. I've got it all replumbed, but looking between the card and block, I can SEE a gap. It's minor, but it's there. My temperatures are unacceptable.

The solution seems fairly obvious to me, though I hate it; delid and relid the CPU again, using RTV as typically suggested, and don't squeeze much on the relid bolt. I'll be sacrificing a larger gap between IHS and die to get rid of a gap between the EK monoblock coldplate and the IHS surface.

Is anyone else in this boat? How did you guys deal with this, if at all? I'm so bummed I can't check out the performance on my shiny new monoblock. ;_;

Okay guys, I'm posting here with an update because it seems to be a real thing. I've found a few Reddit posts asking about this, and guys saying that it's an issue, but those are usually drowned out by people saying "no way man that's bull EK is perfect" or something along those lines.

And to be fair, this is NOT EK's fault. It's just a part of their design; they rely on Intel's dimensional tolerances on finished CPUs so that their springless, zero-adjustment monoblock will meet the processor's IHS when torqued down.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART, if you are considering a monoblock: If you delid your processor, and either 1.) float the IHS without reattaching it to the PCB or 2.) use an adhesive like Super Glue that allows the IHS to sit FLAT on the PCB, you may wind up with THIS:

InkedIMG_20180329_201845046_LI.jpg

I'm sorry for the fuzzy photo. This is about as good as I could get it to focus on the relevant point, but I think it conveys the needed information.

Okay, so before anyone calls user error on this, I've had this corroborated by James with RockitCool. I reached out to him asking for advice (since he was so helpful with my delidding adventure to begin with.) He said the exact same thing happened to him when he tested his EK monoblock on a delidded processor, and he's making a custom solid copper IHS for me with a little extra thickness to it. I'll install it, glued (not RTV'd) down just like my stock IHS is, but it'll be thick enough to bring the overall cpu thickness back within Intel's design spec.

Cheers everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back