Move from a 2.8C/865G setup to A64 3000+/Neo2 nforce 3 setup. Worth it?

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
See the setup in my sig. Will it be worth it for me to move to an A64 setup with MSI Neo 2 nforce 3 ultra motherboard. I really don't know what to say. I need a change and soon I won't get anything worth crap with my present setup. I will have to add about 100-110 USD to get the A64. I seriously have no idea of what to expect so need help regarding this ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

In games it might be bit faster but in normal everyday browsing , listening music and other stuff You will be slower. HT just payes off for some light multitasking/multithreading.

Doo not get me wrong I'm not a Intel biatch but single core P IV is friendlier then single core A64 for everydays activities. A64 is faster in single thread ops. Faster in games to. Aslo can pull mor out of memory. Tough one single slowed down process and it's blocked and HT PIV will just work further.

MD

Some more info:

P.S. I currently play all my games at atleast 1280*1024 w/ 2xAA 8xAF or a setting similar to this (ofcourse maxed out ingame details). I can do 1600*1200 resolutions for other games like far cry w/ 2xaa and 8xaf max everything. I get stutters in BF2 w/ 1600*1200 4xAa 8xAf when a level loads. Rest of system runs dandy.

The only recent problems I have been getting is in Fable TLC which runs at 1280*1024 w/ 2xAA and max everything and fetches me about 40-50 fps. Also FEAR demo stutters when going into newer area @ 1024*768 w/ 2xAA 4xAF. I guess and 1 or 2 more games gave same stuttery feeling. That's about it. Rest runs plenty fine. What kindof improvements can I expect. Can I up the 1280*1024 games to 1600*1200?

Your CPU oc-ed is sertanly not causing Your problems. It's in grafic card. Although I wouldn't even call it a problem. Every system has it's limmitations.

Wanna real good preforming CPU get a 3700+ San Diego. Wana multitasking go wit h a 3800+ x2 CPU.

Wanna better gaming go with a new grafic card. 7800GT or 7800 GTX. Well if You have a AGP mobo change a mobo to.

MD

I would expect the 3000+ to better for almost everything, though, as someone else already pointed out, your desktop experience may not seem quite as fluid because of the loss of HT.

If you can splurge for a 3200, or perhaps pick up a newer MB with a nforce4 chipset, I would feel better suggesting the AMD solution.

visaris said:
I would expect the 3000+ to better for almost everything, though, as someone else already pointed out, your desktop experience may not seem quite as fluid because of the loss of HT.

If you can splurge for a 3200, or perhaps pick up a newer MB with a nforce4 chipset, I would feel better suggesting the AMD solution.
QFT - Same advice from me.

I think your problem may lie more for the need of another gig of ram, not a different cpu or video card (yet ;) ). Games like BF2 really really need 2GB since they have been known to load 1GB+ of textures and what-not for a single level. The stuttering is caused by Windows hammering the swap file, not by a slow cpu or gpu. If you can afford it, maybe get 2x1GB modules to throw in with what you have now if you currently are only using 2 DIMM slots.

You have a 6800GT at Ultra speed and a 2.8C at 3.64GHz, so that is definitely not your problem right now.

KickAssCop said:
I run my cpu at 3.4 or 3.5 GHz max usually, if that helps sway any decisions.
Not really. I still recommend installing more memory. ;)

I would also agree in your situation more RAM would help. Changing your CPU and video card won't do much for you.

You have a s754 AMD rig in your sig. Try putting your vid card/RAM in that thing and see what happens :). A 2800+ should OC to 2.2-2.4Ghz. You'd get an idea about what a faster A64 setup would give you. Venice 3000+ can get to 2.6-2.7. At that speed, it might be a good bit faster than your P4 in games.

kirbyrj said:
You have a s754 AMD rig in your sig. Try putting your vid card/RAM in that thing and see what happens :). A 2800+ should OC to 2.2-2.4Ghz. You'd get an idea about what a faster A64 setup would give you. Venice 3000+ can get to 2.6-2.7. At that speed, it might be a good bit faster than your P4 in games.
With a fast gpu, there won't be a whole lot of difference between cpus at 1600x1200 res. As long as framerates stay above a playable rate, the cpu type and speed is really kinda irrelevant. A P4 oc'd to 3.4 - 3.5GHz will do ya just fine when paired up with a decent amount of memory and a fast gpu.

holy shit I can't believe I just said that. AMD fo-eva! *grins*

kirbyrj said:

My A64 754 doesn't even do 1.98 GHz stable so yeah, so much for that bright idea. It is absolutely worthless when it comes to desktop and since it is used for java compilation, and driver writing, I consider it to be a slow piece of crap computer. I still can't believe I recommended my company A64 setups.

Overall, when you have 1 mp3 player running, 2 dev environments (eclipse and .net studio), 3 messengers running (skype, msn, yahoo), about 5 IE windows open (for html work), 3 antivirus running (AVG, Avast and NOD32), and small applications (like textpad, adobe acrobat 6 professional) and a few other stuff an A64 becomes absolutely worthless when compared to a P4 setup. Yes, this is my normal everyday routine for work and yes an A64 is complete shit for this.

As for my gaming pc, I only run two games at one time so I think an A64 should be able to handle it. Also my work rig is at office and the other server and main rig are at home, so don't have time to try your idea.

P.S. I overclocked my work rig :p.

KickAssCop said:
My A64 754 doesn't even do 1.98 GHz stable so yeah, so much for that bright idea. It is absolutely worthless when it comes to desktop and since it is used for java compilation, and driver writing, I consider it to be a slow piece of crap computer. I still can't believe I recommended my company A64 setups.

Overall, when you have 1 mp3 player running, 2 dev environments (eclipse and .net studio), 3 messengers running (skype, msn, yahoo), about 5 IE windows open (for html work), 3 antivirus running (AVG, Avast and NOD32), and small applications (like textpad, adobe acrobat 6 professional) and a few other stuff an A64 becomes absolutely worthless when compared to a P4 setup. Yes, this is my normal everyday routine for work and yes an A64 is complete shit for this.

As for my gaming pc, I only run two games at one time so I think an A64 should be able to handle it. Also my work rig is at office and the other server and main rig are at home, so don't have time to try your idea.

Oh well, I guess you got a really bad 2800+ :(.

thank you

i think adding ram and upgraing the GC will boost gaming performance.
your cpu is fine

Problem is guys, he is stuck on an AGP board like me.

If he wants to upgrade his video card, it looks like PCI-E is the only way...in which case, a new motherboard . processor combo is required.

We socket 478 guys are kind of in a bad place.

KickAssCop, I am in the same boat.... ditch my 6800GT at Ultra speeds and pay out the ass for a 7800GT a new motherboard, a new processor....

or just get an Socket 939 Nforce3 board and stick with AGP.......

People keep telling me the only performance I will gain from going AMD will be in gaming, and to match my P4 in everything I should get an X2 3800...

Well shite, thats is a crap load of money..no matter how you look at it. You end up buying a new PC, when all of our existing stuff still works.

If you got the cash to burn, I say try upgrading, but if you, do it all the way.

If you just switch out a mobo and stick with AGP........might be a pointless change.

Warmonkey said:
Problem is guys, he is stuck on an AGP board like me.

If he wants to upgrade his video card, it looks like PCI-E is the only way...in which case, a new motherboard . processor combo is required.

We socket 478 guys are kind of in a bad place.

KickAssCop, I am in the same boat.... ditch my 6800GT at Ultra speeds and pay out the ass for a 7800GT a new motherboard, a new processor....

or just get an Socket 939 Nforce3 board and stick with AGP.......

People keep telling me the only performance I will gain from going AMD will be in gaming, and to match my P4 in everything I should get an X2 3800...

Well shite, thats is a crap load of money..no matter how you look at it. You end up buying a new PC, when all of our existing stuff still works.

If you got the cash to burn, I say try upgrading, but if you, do it all the way.

If you just switch out a mobo and stick with AGP........might be a pointless change.
AGP is not entirely dead just yet. A good 6800 or X800 series will do great with today's games. It does kinda suck that the 7800 isn't offered in AGP. I'm not sure about XI800, but only time shall tell.

A P4 running at 3.4 - 3.5GHz with a decent amount of RAM and a fast GPU is hardly a slouch in high res gaming.

Save the money from a potential full upgrade and upgrade just the memory and GPU on your current platform. When the next generation intel and AMD goods arrive is when that would most likely be the ideal time to upgrade everything. Hopefully by then ATI and nVidia will have their 'refresh' products out that will be even faster. It makes hardly any sense to take a baby step here when you could wait it out for a bit and take a big leap instead.
wink.gif

So I agree with Warmonkey: It would be pointless to upgrade to another AGP motherboard. And it would be kind of piontless to spend a lot of money on an AMD dual-core right now since you already have a fairly decent cpu.

I still cast my vote for memory and GPU now, and wait for the next-gen cpus, mobos, and gpus before doing an all-out upgrade.

Dejawiz, do you concur?

I concur.

lol. ;)

Going to wait it out for the new Intel and AMD goodies.....maybe Intel can win back my support.....regardless, competition is always good for the consumer.

KickAssCop said:

I doubt it. Any decently overclocked A64 with the right amount of ram should be able to handle that. It's not like you are encoding movies or something in the backround. You will only be doing one or two things at a time unless you have multiple monitors and can use a mouse with both hands and focus on both things at once. For the things you outlined you shouldn't have any probs with a Venice @ 2.3+ ghz. I don't see why people (in general, not you specifically) think that they need hyperthreading/dual core for simple multiple programs that idle when you aren't using them. The only possible time that your cpu will be loaded is when you are switching between two things and when you first open something (and compiling, in your case). If you really can't stand waiting a 1/2 second for IE to maximize while some code is compiling, get firefox or that IE beta thing and use tabbed browsing.

Whatever happened to the Asus P4GD1 or whatever it was called. PCIe and s478 on a 915P chipset with DDR1 RAM. Seemed like it would have been a winner for the s478 crowd.

Russ said:
I don't see why people (in general, not you specifically) think that they need hyperthreading/dual core for simple multiple programs that idle when you aren't using them.
QFT.

However (like I've been stating), I really don't think you should dump the cash for a new mobo, cpu, memory, and gpu right now when all you really should need is more mem and fast agp gpu for your current setup. By the time the next gen intel and AMD stuff comes out, maybe we'll see a much stronger need for dual core cpus (games-wise) and the expensive purchase would be more justified. Heck, I'm running a 3000+ Venice oc'd to 2.4GHz, 2GB, and dual 6600GTs and I don't have any complaints about the performance! This is definitely not top of the line stuff here and I'm perfectly content with. And I didn't have to spend a small fortune on it all, to boot.

Get yourself some more ram and something to the magnitude of a 6800GT you'll be stylin'!

kirbyrj said:
Whatever happened to the Asus P4GD1 or whatever it was called. PCIe and s478 on a 915P chipset with DDR1 RAM. Seemed like it would have been a winner for the s478 crowd.
I hear ya there. The only one I could find that might be worth a s**t is this Albatron. Has only 1 IDE port though, so SATA hdds are a must. Unless you get a IDE expansion card for a PCI slot. Price seems pretty fair despite this.

Motherboard: $89
Memory: $80
7800GT: $350
TOTAL: $519 (maybe a SATA drive or 2 not accounted for)

**OR**

Memory: $80
6800GT: $270
TOTAL: $340

DejaWiz said:
Get yourself some more ram and something to the magnitude of a 6800GT you'll be stylin'!

I already have a 6800GT @ Ultra. Usually runs at 375/1.05 just because I don't wanna max it out.

I guess I will keep this, the only reason I wanted a new setup because I needed a change, guess it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. I will get more ram or a more powerful psu I guess, and a cpu cooler so that I can clock this mofo to 3.7 GHz. It does 3.64 but since I moved to a crap PSU, I only have to run it at 3.49 Ghz.

Still anymore feedback will be greatly appreciated.

KickAssCop said:
I already have a 6800GT @ Ultra. Usually runs at 375/1.05 just because I don't wanna max it out.
<------- says DUH!!!

Sorry, a bit late in the evening for me when I posted. Tends to cloud rationale. :D

Well fuck this shit. I did it. Sold my 2.8 and the motherboard. Ordered a venice 3000+ and it should arrive here tomorrow. I don't know if it will be a venice or not, but if it is I will be one happy puppy, if it's not I will sell it next day.

Got a MSI Neo 2 Plat also to go with this. Keeping the rest of the shit with me. Will get a new psu if that comes through. Did all of this in 73 bucks :D. I really hope it was worth it.

Wish me luck.

KickAssCop said:
Well fuck this shit. I did it. Sold my 2.8 and the motherboard. Ordered a venice 3000+ and it should arrive here tomorrow. I don't know if it will be a venice or not, but if it is I will be one happy puppy, if it's not I will sell it next day.

Got a MSI Neo 2 Plat also to go with this. Keeping the rest of the shit with me. Will get a new psu if that comes through. Did all of this in 73 bucks :D. I really hope it was worth it.

Wish me luck.
Can you post a link for the cpu that you bought> We might be able to tell you if it's a Venice or not.

btw, best of luck with the new build!

I am in Pakistan, I ordered it from Karachi. We don't have online websites for computer shopping :p. When it arrives, that is when I will know only :(.

KickAssCop said:
why not overclock it a bit more, as long as you don't mess with voltages, lifespan won't be significantly effected ;)

Back