Move bitcoin stuff to another forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
This forum IMO wasn't put into place for people to talk about how they are going to make money for themselves crunching worthless numbers with their computers. No offense, but GM is probably a better place for this kind of discussion. IMO it diminishes the efforts of those people who want to donate their money and cpu/gpu cycles to curing diseases and genetic ills, etc. I think it reflects poorly on the [H]orde since this forum is hosting this conversation.

YMMV and IMHO

This forum IMO wasn't put into place for people to talk about how they are going to make money for themselves crunching worthless numbers with their computers. No offense, but GM is probably a better place for this kind of discussion. IMO it diminishes the efforts of those people who want to donate their money and cpu/gpu cycles to curing diseases and genetic ills, etc. I think it reflects poorly on the [H]orde since this forum is hosting this conversation.

YMMV and IMHO

Seconded.

this is the DC forum, DC by definition is exactly what Bitcoin is, and I see no definition of DC that says that DC and profit are mutually exclusive...

I don't have a problem with bitcoin posts, call it a loss-leader to get more people hearing about folding and team 33.

If anything, I think the contrast between the two only compliments folders (it's a much more selfless motivation). I tried mining but extra noise and heat didn't make the extra income worth while to me - but I still fold!

Last edited:
I don't see what the issue is. It's distributed computing as well and it's not like there has been much spam or something. It's been contained to a few threads. Sounds more like you hate bitcoin and can't stand to see the sight of it. If you don't believe what it stands for - (this is outside of your thought that it is all about greed), then just ignore it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying in any way that it (Bitcoin) serves some sort of greater purpose than folding for cures, if you will but I don't see any solid reasoning to keep it separated. Unless both DC projects related to "cure" finding AND bitcoin get their own sub-forums, while general DC questions remains out in the main forum.

I'd be fine with that. And I'm one of the guys that's trying to make a buck off of mining. But also let me say that I hope to simply convert my mined coins into better hardware - part of which will be either a 2500k, a bulldozer or possibly an Ivy Bridge. Which I intend to use to fold. If I do really well, I'd love to have a 2600k and a 6990. No way I could just buy that out of my normal budget but if somehow this works out really well I'll get the best stuff I can.

Just because someone wants to make a buck off of bitcoining doesnt mean we're completely selfish.

I think as long as there are only a few clearly-labeled Bitcoin threads (that I can ignore), there's no problem with them being in this forum.

Thanks for the comments guys. As I said in the OP, YMMV and IMHO. All opinions welcomed!

If it was moved to GM, I wouldn't be able to access it (at least until I hit my 500K points in Folding sometime next week and get the sub). As long as they're labeled as Bitcoin, I have no problem with them being here. I'm hoping to upgrade my folding hardware with my mining.

IMHO, there is no forum (other than this one) to which bitcoin belongs.

If we sit here an argue how it will some how clutter up our forum, possibly we could get an admin to create a bitcoin subforum. But if we do that, maybe we should move folding to a folding subforum........

at the end of the day, everyone looses.

I can only hope that people come here to read about bitcoin, and decide to fold instead.......

YMMV and IMHO

i fourth this and until it happens this will be the last time i ever post in the DC sub forum.

I don't like it here myself......
However I don't see another option.

I will just wait till it passes.
I have been here before this rubbish started, and will be here long after it is gone.

Last edited:
Do bitcoin miners realize how much they spend for electricity to make a buck?

I feel that bitcoin posts should be kept to a minimum so as not to push the F@H and other DC projects off of the front page. It seems numerous bitcoin posts have shown up very recently and I hope that the DC forums don't get overrun by rabid bitcoin zombies :D

I feel that bitcoin posts should be kept to a minimum so as not to push the F@H and other DC projects off of the front page. It seems numerous bitcoin posts have shown up very recently and I hope that the DC forums don't get overrun by rabid bitcoin zombies :D

who cares they ruined it for themselves by overhyping it. its a 25:1 ratio in electricity costs to bitcoins made because there are to many people running it now and its only going to get worse.
ok now thats my last post..

It is not hard to recover from the extra electricity costs and make a profit.

I don't see a problem with the Bitcoin thread as long as all of the discussion is kept to the one thread. It's not like you have to click on the thread and read every post in the thread.

There are only 6 Bitcoin threads in the last 4-5 pages of threads, seems relatively low key for the number of threads... though there seem to be HUGE numbers of posts.

And yes, miners (well, some of us) actually do figure out MHash/s/W and calculate based on electricity usage and $/KWh

I don't like it here myself......
However I don't see another option.

I will just wait till it passes.
I have been here before this rubbish started, and will be here long after it is gone.

Seconded

because bitcoin miners are the only ones starting bitcoin threads...? right...?

bitcointhreadstarter.jpg

is bitcoin not DC?

I think we should move all the good deals out of the hot deals section and while were at it lets move for sale items out of for sale / trade.

I dont come to this board to argue, but it's bothering me enough I'm gonna say it. What's with the self-righteous attitudes from some in this thread? A couple of these posts act like you're the saviour of humanity because you so graciously use your hardware to fold. Ive folded a bit before and the only reason I'm not right now is because my current hardware isnt very good at it.

I've gotta say, though, for the people that hope the BTC threads draw attention to this forum and get people folding - the atitude here is not making me want to join this F@H community.

I dont come to this board to argue, but it's bothering me enough I'm gonna say it. What's with the self-righteous attitudes from some in this thread? A couple of these posts act like you're the saviour of humanity because you so graciously use your hardware to fold. Ive folded a bit before and the only reason I'm not right now is because my current hardware isnt very good at it.

I've gotta say, though, for the people that hope the BTC threads draw attention to this forum and get people folding - the atitude here is not making me want to join this F@H community.

I don't see any self-righteous posts. With that said your hardware would fold for 7k PPD at least. So, wanna try to make some money or do you want to help humanity?

Your choice simple as that. If bitcoin mining is your thing, fine. This sub-forum isn't about making money IMHO......

You see us speaking out against it because Bitcoin flies in the face of every other distributed computing project, you know, the ones this forum was created for. Until this bitcoin nonsense began, distributed computing as it stands here meant projects where people donated compute power to a greater good. Bitcoin has absolutely no driver outside of your personal monetary gain, to assert otherwise is complete delusion.

The only link bitcoin has to the other distributed computing projects its the fact it is computed and personally I feel it cheapens the work being done on the other projects to have it polluting this forum.

that has been the prevalent attitude from what I've seen in the bitcoin threads as well, a judgmental community is quite the turn off, my mind was made up after the first couple bitcoin threads and the last few have done nothing to reverse that...

when I do get back on my feet again (get a job), if I decide to fold it definitely won't be here...

that has been the prevalent attitude from what I've seen in the bitcoin threads as well, a judgmental community is quite the turn off, my mind was made up after the first couple bitcoin threads and the last few have done nothing to reverse that...

when I do get back on my feet again (get a job), if I decide to fold it definitely won't be here...

Then don't, no one is begging you to fold here. If you fold then fold for the right reason and fold for whoever you want to including anonymous.

I feel the same way. Since I always vote with my wallet, I as we speak, am looking for another team to join. Personally the handful of BTC threads were pretty meaningless to me but I knew it was only a matter of time until the old DC guys got upset. You could tell by some of their earlier troll posts.

I don't see any self-righteous posts. With that said your hardware would fold for 7k PPD at least. So, wanna try to make some money or do you want to help humanity?

Your choice simple as that. If bitcoin mining is your thing, fine. This sub-forum isn't about making money IMHO......

Honestly, what I want is to see what I can get out of mining in the next month or 2, and then when Im not gaming with it I'll be setting my next CPU to fold. Ive tried twice to fold with my GPU and kept getting an error message. Since I bought this rig as temporary anyway, I didnt put the time into working out the problem, figuring I'd do so once I got my more permanent rig together. BTC is hopefully going to help me make that rig better than I could have otherwise, and as I mentioned I intended to fold with it anyway.

Im not saying I'm mining for solely unselfish purposes. I intend to game with it as well, as I do on my current rig. SO yeah, I'm trying to profit from it, but I'll also be putting any of those profits to good use by folding.

I feel the same way. Since I always vote with my wallet, I as we speak, am looking for another team to join. Personally the handful of BTC threads were pretty meaningless to me but I knew it was only a matter of time until the old DC guys got upset. You could tell by some of their earlier troll posts.

As long as you DC for the greater good then you are doing the right thing IMHO regardless of which "team" you do it for. If you decide personal profit is your thing then this is not the sub-forum or team for you. Again, IMHO.

Honestly, what I want is to see what I can get out of mining in the next month or 2, and then when Im not gaming with it I'll be setting my next CPU to fold. Ive tried twice to fold with my GPU and kept getting an error message. Since I bought this rig as temporary anyway, I didnt put the time into working out the problem, figuring I'd do so once I got my more permanent rig together. BTC is hopefully going to help me make that rig better than I could have otherwise, and as I mentioned I intended to fold with it anyway.

If so then that is a good use of the hardware

Personally I think the issue, and the reason you guys don't feel welcomed, is because the majority of the guys posting in the bitcoin threads were never around doing DC projects before. Implying that you would consider folding is not the same thing as folding, particuarly since the gpu mining apps are cpu light and you could run an smp client as well if you truly intended to participate elsewhere. Because of this, you appear to be the forum equivalent of a gold rush and you're tearing up our beautiful subsection with your get rich quick scheming. ;)

There will of course be exceptions to that rule but I hope you can see where we're coming from, its certainly not because we have a 'rude folding team' as has been implied.

There will of course be exceptions to that rule but I hope you can see where we're coming from, its certainly not because we have a 'rude folding team' as has been implied.

Unfortunately for you guys, you essentially came off as cry babies.

You see us speaking out against it because Bitcoin flies in the face of every other distributed computing project, you know, the ones this forum was created for. Until this bitcoin nonsense began, distributed computing as it stands here meant projects where people donated compute power to a greater good. Bitcoin has absolutely no driver outside of your personal monetary gain, to assert otherwise is complete delusion.

The only link bitcoin has to the other distributed computing projects its the fact it is computed and personally I feel it cheapens the work being done on the other projects to have it polluting this forum.

if I can get a few dollars out of this to help feed, clothe and put a roof over my 3 kids as a single parent while I'm unemployed I can't think of any "greater good" at the moment, my kids come first, whether you look down on me for that or not, if using spare equipment I have laying around to mine to try to get another source of income during tough times means I'm the devil himself so be it, judge me all you want, I won't give a shit as long as it helps out to some degree...

:rolleyes:

And you come off as a selfish sociopath drawn to a quick buck, but this isn't about portrayal.

We as a folding team have spent the last year battling a corporate sponsored team which 'buys' their members. This forum is defined by our unified views that distributed computing should not be done for monetary gain, its as simple as that.

And lest you forget, you are the outsiders here.

You just don't get it. DC for Profit or DC for the greater good. Your choice, but I don't look kindly on profit in this sub-forum. Others obviously feel differently.....maybe someone like you. This has been the official [H]orde sub-forum for DC and it certainly hasn't been one for self-interest. If all you care about is making money then move on IMHO.

If so then that is a good use of the hardware

Personally I think the issue, and the reason you guys don't feel welcomed, is because the majority of the guys posting in the bitcoin threads were never around doing DC projects before. Implying that you would consider folding is not the same thing as folding, particuarly since the gpu mining apps are cpu light and you could run an smp client as well if you truly intended to participate elsewhere. Because of this, you appear to be the forum equivalent of a gold rush and you're tearing up our beautiful subsection with your get rich quick scheming. ;)

I sort of understand this. I think what really got me was the "I'm not posting here anymore till the bitcoin stuff is moved". Seriously, wtf, we're not evil guys. Damn.

Im not especially greedy. I have a very limited budget with which to build my rigs. I dont make a ton, and have a large family, so any spending on PC hardware is a bonus. I folded for a different team for a while on my old rig. As I mentioned, I tried it on this new one but kept getting errors and since its temporary and I intended (and still do) to build a new gaming rig which also folded in downtime, I just firgured "meh, I'll get it set up when I get my new rig running". If I had a good amount of money I was able to spend on my rig, BTC probably wouldnt be nearly as appealing to me. As it stands, I see an opportunity to get some much better hardware than I could have otherwise hoped for.

I personally dont care where the bitcoin discussion is, here or in its own forum, I was just bothered by the sense that this is horrible stuff and we're horrible, greedy people.

And you come off as a selfish sociopath drawn to a quick buck, but this isn't about portrayal.

We as a folding team have spent the last year battling a corporate sponsored team which 'buys' their members. This forum is defined by our unified views that distributed computing should not be done for monetary gain, its as simple as that.

And lest you forget, you are the outsiders here.

Hey I was just being honest how you guys come across. Please though continue insulting me, real classy and only goes to prove the point.

btw I am not the outsider, plz move along.

if I can get a few dollars out of this to help feed, clothe and put a roof over my 3 kids as a single parent while I'm unemployed I can't think of any "greater good" at the moment, my kids come first, whether you look down on me for that or not, if using spare equipment I have laying around to mine to try to get another source of income during tough times means I'm the devil himself so be it, judge me all you want, I won't give a shit as long as it helps out to some degree...

:rolleyes:

No one is saying you shouldn't make money with your own equipment. The whole point of this thread was to point out that the DC forum hasn't been about self-interest as long as I've been around it. I simply want the profit motive to move somewhere else rather than this sub-forum.

I certainly understand your motive to make money, but IMHO it doesn't fit in here.

I hope bitcoin is profitable for you and helps your family. Capitalism is a great thing....just not here in this sub-forum is all I'm saying.

You just don't get it. DC for Profit or DC for the greater good. Your choice, but I don't look kindly on profit in this sub-forum. Others obviously feel differently.....maybe someone like you. This has been the official [H]orde sub-forum for DC and it certainly hasn't been one for self-interest. If all you care about is making money then move on IMHO.

I do understand.

Here is a quick way to fix it.

If it upsets you that much contact a mod and get it change. All the complaining in this thread is not productive.

I sort of understand this. I think what really got me was the "I'm not posting here anymore till the bitcoin stuff is moved". Seriously, wtf, we're not evil guys. Damn.

Im not especially greedy. I have a very limited budget with which to build my rigs. I dont make a ton, and have a large family, so any spending on PC hardware is a bonus. I folded for a different team for a while on my old rig. As I mentioned, I tried it on this new one but kept getting errors and since its temporary and I intended (and still do) to build a new gaming rig which also folded in downtime, I just firgured "meh, I'll get it set up when I get my new rig running". If I had a good amount of money I was able to spend on my rig, BTC probably wouldnt be nearly as appealing to me. As it stands, I see an opportunity to get some much better hardware than I could have otherwise hoped for.

I personally dont care where the bitcoin discussion is, here or in its own forum, I was just bothered by the sense that this is horrible stuff and we're horrible, greedy people.

Its a general team view from our current battle, some member portray that differently than others. Before this thread goes to far off topic with sweeping generalizations and personal debasements, I think we need to get back to the root issue.

The DC subforum has always been for 'not for profit' projects. Bitcoin does not meet this description. I think the solution might be to create a 'For Profit Projects' subsection that you guys can have free reign over.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back