Mouse pad surfaces?

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I am looking for some information or any places where there is alot of info about mouse pad surfaces. Specifically my problem is that it is extremely hard to choose mouse pads because their descriptions really dont tell you much. If there was anything close to descriptions of mouse pad surfaces that are similar to what we have for mechanical switches that would be great.

Right now I have the zowie GSR and its ok, I like it well enough but I think it could be a little slicker, on top of that I would prefer to have a much bigger mouse pad with this same surface or better. But I cant get any sorts of descriptions. Does anyone know what material it is made of?

Check out the Montech GamerPad extended length...very durable, smooth & slick, with enough surface area (~35" long) to suit even the biggest desktop set-up :)

Unfortunately, I do not know the specifics of the materials used....

I use an AR-15 tekmat. It makes a great mouse surface and looks great on my desk. Doubles as a cushiony wrist wrest for typing as well. I think the surface is neoprene or similar. Roughly 3' wide and about 1' tall.

Almost all hard mouse pads are essentially the same and use teflon. Most of the cloth pads I've seen all use the same material as each other but that one does look different. All it says is "cloth" so it's hard to really know. You might not be able to find a big one with the same exact material.

Almost all hard mouse pads are essentially the same and use teflon. Most of the cloth pads I've seen all use the same material as each other but that one does look different. All it says is "cloth" so it's hard to really know. You might not be able to find a big one with the same exact material.

Depends on which one he has, googling the mousepad shows me there are 2 models a small and a large one so if he has the small one he can get a bigger one.

I have used a gigabyte XL mousepad https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Mouse/Extended-Gaming-Mouse-Pad#kf which I like quite a lot, it's pretty thin but very smooth, currently using abig corsair one, which is quite a bit thicker and somewhat rougher, I switch em around when they need cleaning.

Get some better mouse feet, preferably ceramic, if you want the slickest feel. A cloth mousepad can only do so much.

Maybe I will try ceramic feet, but I do want to clarify I dont want the slickest surface just want more slick, there is a large variety of cloth mousepads, some are pretty rough.

want more slick
Lemon pledge on your mouse feet, I'm serious, it works and if it's too slick for you it'll wear off in a couple days/weeks. On cloth pads I just do the feet, with a hard pad you can do both surfaces and it'll be ridiculously slick.
Picked this tip up from someone here many years ago, so credit goes to some long forgotten dude.

Lemon pledge on your mouse feet, I'm serious, it works and if it's too slick for you it'll wear off in a couple days/weeks. On cloth pads I just do the feet, with a hard pad you can do both surfaces and it'll be ridiculously slick.
Picked this tip up from someone here many years ago, so credit goes to some long-forgotten dude.

Definitely not for me.
I went through a whole phase where I tried to get the lowest friction possible I got these mouse skates and they were incredibly smooth, but they wore out quickly and then glue was getting caught on stuff. What I learned from that is that the most important thing is consistency. Anything that wears out or for some reason has inconsistent friction is the worst thing you can do becasue your body can't predict what is going to happen and you cant get used to the surface changing at random locations. So if lemon pledge wears out I would definitely steer clear of it. Its also why I am working with cloth mousepads. While cloth gets dirty, it seems to do a better job of absorbing dirt and debris and making it have less of an impact on your mouse movements. Whereas hard mouse surfaces and desks you will immediately feel if there is a grain of sand, grime, a little sweat, and it will change how your mouse moves across the surface.

Definitely not for me.
I went through a whole phase where I tried to get the lowest friction possible I got these mouse skates and they were incredibly smooth, but they wore out quickly and then glue was getting caught on stuff. What I learned from that is that the most important thing is consistency. Anything that wears out or for some reason has inconsistent friction is the worst thing you can do becasue your body can't predict what is going to happen and you cant get used to the surface changing at random locations. So if lemon pledge wears out I would definitely steer clear of it. Its also why I am working with cloth mousepads. While cloth gets dirty, it seems to do a better job of absorbing dirt and debris and making it have less of an impact on your mouse movements. Whereas hard mouse surfaces and desks you will immediately feel if there is a grain of sand, grime, a little sweat, and it will change how your mouse moves across the surface.

Totally agree about the consistency. If my mouse feet get worn down I put teflon tape over them and stays consistent for close to a year before it wears down. Teflon mouse feet on a teflon mouse pad is about as slick as you can get.

If you're going for maximum mouse accuracy and reaction time you want the least amount of friction possible. Friction slows the acceleration of your physical movements which means you aim slower. If you're a hardcore competitive gamer a hard mouse pad is the best option.

Ya I could just never make those hard teflon mouse pads work from a consistency standpoint. I am old so I need a little stopping friction to keep my hands stable.

I ended up trying the x ray pad aqua speed. Its seems just right for me. Less friction than most cloth pads. Very smooth.

Can you guys link me to these Teflon mouse pads y'all are using?

Get a HyperX they are really good I have a extended one from Walmart. I used to use a SS QCK I have like 6-7 of them they are ok.

I still use an original Func 1030 rough/smooth, but it is getting pretty worn down. I purchased some X-ray Pads a while back and they are extremely close if not identical to the same feel. Best mouse pad ever IMO.

After years of using cloth, plastic, glass, leather and aluminum mousing surfaces, I concluded the best for me is just my desktop. Took a little while to configure my mouse settings for the wood surface, but now I wouldn't use anything else.

IMG_20200420_175536.jpg

I used my desktop for a long time until recently there are advantages to it but ultimately a good cloth mouse pad is better IME

I've been using my desktop at home. I have a neoprene pad at work.

Tempted to try one of the cork/felted wool pads people sell on Etsy.

3m precision mousing surface or bust.

I currently have the razer version, but I have been usinga thin, flat surface like that for years and years, yet to find better.

Back