Mouse keeps stalling/disconnecting

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, so recently I updated to windows 7 home premium x64. Within the past week or so, I've had a realllllllly annoying problem of my mouse stalling out. It's a logitech mx518. Without warning, it'll stop working for about a second, I hear the USB disconnect sound (and no reconnect sound) and then it starts working again. There doesn't seem to be any one thing that sets it off, and I haven't found a set amount of time between stalls. Pretty soon after installing win7, I reinstalled TES4:Oblivion and a ton of mods and that's when it started becoming more and more prevalent, but again, not one specific thing setting it off. Well, the only time I do notice it is when it's in use; I haven't heard a disconnect when the computer is idle.

I've installed the logitech mx518 win7 x64 patch from logitech's site and if anything, that made it worse. I've checked device manager and there are 3 entries for human interface device: Logitech USB g3 (mx518) optical mouse and 2 instance of Logitech virtual HID device. In mice and other pointing devices, i have an HID-compliant mouse and logitech HID-compliant G3/MX518 optical mouse. If i delete the double entries and the HID entry, they'll come back at the next stall.

I've had this mouse for about 7 years, and I don't know if it's on it's way out or if there's a driver issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you updated your chipset drivers? From Intel?

They seem to not always make it to Vista/7's update lists.

Tried that to no avail. Downloaded the utility provided from this page on intel's site. I had installed an updated chipset driver from the manufacturer after the fresh install of win 7.

Edit: Found a new memorex usb mouse, plugged it in, and there are still 2 logitech HID entries under human interface devices as well as USB mouse. And under the mouse section, there's two hid-compliant mouse entries.

Last edited:
The cable is probably going bad. I've had a MX510 and MX518 with this problem. If you wiggle or bend the part of the cable near the mouse, and the mouse disconnects, then you know it's the problem.

I'd RMA the mouse. Logitech has a 3 year warranty, but there's no way you had the mouse for 7 years. I bought the MX510 when it was released in 2004. The MX518 is even newer.

Heh, FEELS like i've had it for seven years :p But yeah, you're right, I looked up my receipts and I got it in 2005. I tried the bend/wiggle cable thing but I didn't hear a disconnect.

I used that memorex mouse while playing games all yesterday and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a disconnect problem, so I'm guessing the mx518 is, in fact, on its way out. I'm prolly just gonna get another since it's so friggin awesome :D

I think it has to do with the Logitech drivers interfering with something.

I also have this problem. Have had a mx518 for years now with no issues up until a win7 install.

I tried removing the software putting it back in, bla bla bla. My win7 install was an upgrade process and not a fresh install so it could have something to do with it.

Hey guys, quick and hopefully final update.

Went ahead and ordered another mx518 from newegg and it's workin just fine. It looks like they updated it since launch (fewer pads, no see-thru bottom, smoother thumb grip) and it's pretty nice. I'm still seeing the double HID entries and two mice entries (logitech and HID), but it's not disconnecting anymore. I guess it's so rare that a mouse dies that you expect the worse when really it's a simple problem :p

Thanks for the help.

Good luck, I've owned 3 MX series mice. The cables tend to go bad on them but I love the quality on the mouse.

I have the same issue and same mouse. It disconnects then I have to unplug it and plug it back in several times for it to work. Using XP and windows drivers.

Sorry to necro such an old thread, but it seems as though I'm having a similar problem, though I know its not a cable issue. My mouse will occasionally do this, and has been for months, and it only started doing it since I had a power outage and possible/probable power surges on an unprotected outlet. I've RMA'd my motherboard and replaced the PSU to no avail. The reason I suspect something else other than a cable, is that my keyboard will occasionally do the same thing, though less often, and it is brand new. Another thing is that even rarer, both the mouse and the keyboard will disconnect and reconnect very rapidly, and not stop until I restart. It won't even have power long enough for Windows to recognize it reconnecting- the lights will both flash at an inconsistent pace independent from one another.

Its absolutely infuriating, and I refuse to believe that its a cable issue when I can leave either in place, restart the computer, and have no problems. I've been having fewer issues with this since I replaced my PSU, so its back to doing it only in games with the mouse.

Anyone figured this out? My G400 keeps doing it and it's annoying as hell. It seems to be a common problem but haven't found a solution. Best try that didn't work was with this advice: link. I had the same problem once months ago but it went away after I plugged it into another usb port. Now it's been annoying me all weekend.

Been having this issue as well. Happened a few months ago and it stopped but now its starting in again. Best course of action is just to get a new mouse or is it somehow related to the software or usb?

Sorry to necro such an old thread, but it seems as though I'm having a similar problem, though I know its not a cable issue. My mouse will occasionally do this, and has been for months, and it only started doing it since I had a power outage and possible/probable power surges on an unprotected outlet. I've RMA'd my motherboard and replaced the PSU to no avail. The reason I suspect something else other than a cable, is that my keyboard will occasionally do the same thing, though less often, and it is brand new. Another thing is that even rarer, both the mouse and the keyboard will disconnect and reconnect very rapidly, and not stop until I restart. It won't even have power long enough for Windows to recognize it reconnecting- the lights will both flash at an inconsistent pace independent from one another.

Its absolutely infuriating, and I refuse to believe that its a cable issue when I can leave either in place, restart the computer, and have no problems. I've been having fewer issues with this since I replaced my PSU, so its back to doing it only in games with the mouse.

This is exactly the problem I'm having now. Tried switching from usb2 to 3 and it hasn't fixed the issue. I have to restart to get them to work and it seems to happen randomly. I would assume if the usb controller has died they would just stop working altogether. Not sure what to do next short of rma'ing the board but it seems to be a huge hassle when I'm not sure its the problem.

Back