Mouse issue in vSphere client

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
We're using the vSphere 6.0 installed "fat client" to connect to two vBlocks and some standalone hosts. Whenever we open the console of a VM, as long as it has a GUI, the mouse usage is very erratic. If you click somewhere, the cursor jumps. It's next-to-impossible to use the mouse.

We don't have the same issue when using the web console, so it has to be related and confined to the vSphere desktop application.

Hoping this is a common issue, so has anyone come across this, and more importantly, found a fix?

Thanks!

You have VMware tools installed on the guests? What's the guest OS? This is normally an issue with Linux and not having tools; X.org is funky.

Yes, VMWare Tools installed on all guests, and updated. The issue is mostly with Windows guests, anything from a few Windows 7 systems up to Server 2016. It happens basically with all guests, except those without a GUI.

They're supposed to be using the same set of software between the two.

Does the mouse exit the screen normally like you'd expect, or does it get captured in the console?

stab in the dark, but is there any change in mouse behavior if you disable mouse (pointer) trails, changing scheme to "None", verified proper "Hardware" selected (USB / PS2) ?

What driver is windows showing for the VGA driver?
This behavior happens across many VMs and workstations connecting to them. Various versions of Windows Server and Workstation, along with a few various Linux distributions. I doubt it is a driver, but which side were you referring to?
stab in the dark, but is there any change in mouse behavior if you disable mouse (pointer) trails, changing scheme to "None", verified proper "Hardware" selected (USB / PS2) ?
Guest or client system connecting to it? This behavior happens on far more than one system. We have 185 VMs and 5 people on our team connecting via 5 laptops. The problem exists in just about all of them.

I'd say call VMware and open a big against that version of the VMRC, but it's EOL so that won't really do any good.

I've only seen this with bad drivers in the guests; but if it's happening across windows and Linux guests, then you probably have a different issue. The x.org and windows drivers are substantively different, but the VMRC code should be close, so... I'm going with something on your client systems. Could bring in a non domain box to try and access them, see if it's a weird GPO or driver again, but I'd say just stick to the web client.

This behavior happens across many VMs and workstations connecting to them. Various versions of Windows Server and Workstation, along with a few various Linux distributions. I doubt it is a driver, but which side were you referring to?

Guest or client system connecting to it? This behavior happens on far more than one system. We have 185 VMs and 5 people on our team connecting via 5 laptops. The problem exists in just about all of them.

I was thinking VM guest but since it happens across Win/Linux .. probably not it.
Issue only seen when connecting via laptops??
Are your laptops running the same image .. ie same image = same issue across all of them?

I've only ever seen similar issues in Windows VMs using funky themes / mouse seetings.

Go into the mouse options in Control Panel, go to the Pointer Options tab, and de-select "Enhance pointer precision".

I have experienced this same issue when accessing Windows VMs using the 5.5 fat client from a laptop with a QHD display. Never was able to find a solution.

Sounds weird.
I have 2 random ideas - unsure if they'll get you anywhere, but they're both easy to test out.

1) what desktop OS is being used on the laptops?
- would it be appropriate to test using a Basic / high contrast Windows theme....as per this suggestion (I appreciate it's in relation to VMware workstation too):
https://communities.vmware.com/thread/241944

2) check your display scaling settings - as per this thread:
https://communities.vmware.com/thread/520863

3) is the behavior the same with the vm's display set to both full screen and windowed on the client laptop ?

Last edited:
None of those worked, unfortunately. We use mostly Windows 10, of various levels, but we have an 8.1 system doing the very same thing. The issue is there on any type of screen, either high-res or a low native res of one of the laptops. The behavior doesn't seem to car about full screen or windowed.

Back