Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord

Been a while since they posted a blog update. :( but on the plus side TLD (The Last Days of the Third Age of Middle Earth) has been ported to Warband. This mod is crazy awesome. Definitely up there with the other great mods like Pendor.

See you guys in a year or two. /quits job

I really really wish they would overhaul the melee combat.

Everything else? Love it, the archery, mounted combat, all good.

The melee combat is just so ugh, it's extremely "gamey," nothing near realistic melee combat and has way too much ice skating (like Jedi Knight) going on, where your movements have no impact on what your actions are in relation to the animations or anything.

They need to develop a system that actually uses stances/guards, which are the cornerstone of proper middle ages combat and what they trained in during those times.

Having each attack with full body mo cap the animations for doing moves from a stance, with each stance having moves that are superior in that stance (just like real life). Then have guards for defending and actually allow dodging.

I still don't get why a game like Severance, from 2001, is still to his day (imo) the best melee combat system we've gotten as far as action/adventure games go. It just felt so perfect, but even if it didn't feature stances, but it got around the entire "ice skating" effect that similar games had (Jedi Knight, Rune, etc). Pretty clever actually, they simply had your mouse button work as an "action" key and then your w/s/a/d keys work as attacks and combo initaors (combination of key presses = different moves). It had a LOT more depth to it then mount and blades melee combat, each weapon had it's own movesets and dodging/blocking were just as important as offense.

They've referenced changes to gameplay and combat mechanics, but haven't specifically said much on them. I totally expect it to be better than previous iterations of the game.

Any improvements are welcome, however small... But I think they're going to surprise us.

Hell I still play Warband with the Pendor mod from time to time. Out of all the games I've ever played, I say that this one has had the best staying power.

I played the shit out of M&B. Never did get Warband though, is it worth it? I never touched the multiplayer parts.

Any word on a possible release date, or the beta?

From the Gamescon videos, it looks to be fairly far along in development (started in 2012).

quality of life fixes??

like not having to drag every goddamn inventory item to sell?

You can shift click or right click to sell... iirc.

never played original M&B myself, but I'm told Warband is the same but better in every way.

You can shift click or right click to sell... iirc.

never played original M&B myself, but I'm told Warband is the same but better in every way.

Yea I think it was control click. In any case, it may have been warband which added this feature.

It looks to be shaping up nicely. Can't wait for it to hit steam. I'm buying first day. I'm still playing WB and a few mods made for it.

It looks to be shaping up nicely. Can't wait for it to hit steam. I'm buying first day. I'm still playing WB and a few mods made for it.

Some of the mods are just horrifying amounts of content. Pendor ate about 300 hours of my time and I never beat it.

Some of the mods are just horrifying amounts of content. Pendor ate about 300 hours of my time and I never beat it.

Exactly. I think M&B and Warband sit at #2 only behind WoW for how many hours of my life it consumed. 1866 for M&B anyone? Fuckin awesome. Pendor? Ridiculous the amount of content and new systems they added.

That blog post has me drooling. Will definitely be a day 1 for me!

Watching the video it looked good, loving the fact they are going to have a season system in game as time passes. One disappointment for me though is that it seems the melee combat is unchanged.

I just wish they would redesign their melee combat, it's so damn "gamey/gimmicky" with its 4 direction attack/block system and works nothing at all like historical melee combat in the least bit.

Their range combat and mounted combat is leagues better and I just wish they'd put as much care into melee.

The fanbase has gotten grown to it though and lord forbid if you go to their official forums and talk about changing melee, the fanboys will pile onto you.

There's just so much better they could do, in regards to the animations, stances/guards,having actual DODGING (seriously, how anyone can tell me this melee combat is good when there's not even a dodge ability).

Look at a game like Bushido Blade, that was (to my knowledge) one of the only games that even tried to incorporate stances into melee combat that affected what you could do from that stance. There was sooooo much variety to its combat becuase of this and what you could do dependent on your stance or where your character was (IE if you were low you could throw dirt or other things at your enemies face).

See this move list to just see how much variety there was:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/196844-bushido-blade/faqs/3757

On top of this the health (or lackthereof) and damage model, hits that were fatal were fatal, and ones that weren't didn't kill you, however they could disable you, arms, legs, weapon disarms, etc. I have never played another melee combat with that kind of detail.

It made fights very unpredictable and exciting because they hardly played out "the same" and it just took one good hit to change things around.

Then you have games like Severance that while not even trying to be historical accurate in the least (it's fantasy ) the game is still leagues ahead of about any other melee combat, with the only thing close as good as it was being Dark souls.

Just hoped this game might learn from the past ones, but I guess the fanbase is too set in their ways and the devs don't want to try to make that aspect any better.

Yes, it could be leagues better. And while I noticed the lack of improvement to the combat, there is so much more stuff coming that I wasn't put out at all.

I think an improved AI would be better than improved combat.

Unless they have added it since last i played there's no dodge mechanic.

No quick-step left, right, backstep, or any such dodge mechanic.

Simply "walking" out of the way isn't quite the same.

That is pretty sweet, I was getting concerned with the lack of news recently. Looks like it is coming along pretty well.

So probably late this year is my take on the ETA whether that be in beta form or final (finished) form. Hopefully in final form.

So probably late this year is my take on the ETA whether that be in beta form or final (finished) form. Hopefully in final form.

If this comes out this year I'll be pleasantly amazed.

Pleasantly delighted as well, cuz I'll be able to put in at least 100 or so hours before I stop.

It's too bad I'm too much of a pussy to play ironman in any real way. There are just so many things that can mess up that piss me off so much I save scum out of it.

I do hope they do early access

That's what they did for the first game even before there was an "early access" type of thing on steam. You could buy M&B through their website early on. It cost me like five bucks for the game and I got hundreds and hundredss of hours out of it and they developed so much on top of that.

I just wish they'd refine their melee combat, give us the ability to freaking dodge, I mean that's like one of the basic cornerstones of defense that's missing in this series and it amazes me they never put it in.

They should look at a game like For Honor, even though they are using the "direction" based attack/defense its not just the same old thing and looks more grounded in authentic historical combat with their stances and guards.

I really can't wait to see mounted combat and ranged, that is still where this series shines the most imo.

I really hope there aren't any invisible walls in combat... man that pissed me off ALOT. If there must be, at least make it easy to tell so you don't ram into it at full speed on a high lvl horse.

Back