Motorola Razr

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, Nexus Prime is getting all the love right now, but what about the new Razr?

I'm not a smartphone expert by any means, but this seems like it is pretty damn slick, despite still being on Gingerbread I actually like what I'm seeing here...

4G LTE
2.3.5 Gingerbread
dual-core 1.2 gigahertz CPU
1 GB RAM
4.3-inch Super AMOLED qHD display :D
32 GB storage (16GB on-board / 16GB memory card)
8 MP camera w/1080p video and 2 MP front-facing camera
Super slim at 7.1mm thick
Reportedly the first device to stream HD Netflix movies
12.5 hrs talk / 9.5 hrs video battery time

Sheesh, with the Nexus Prime and the Razr being released what are your guy's opinions on the two phones? Is ICS going to be that much better than Gingerbread or are the Razr's selling points better than ICS and the Prime?

I definitely like the aesthetics the best out of any phone out or coming out so far. The specs aren't far off of the Galaxy Nexus (the display being the only it it loses to). If it launched with ICS/4.0 and has an unlocked bootloader, I would probably choose it over the GN. The best part of ICS is hardware acceleration, which should do a lot to speed things up on Android and the UI.

The battery life seems amazing on the RAZR, but I don't like that you can't access/replace the battery. I guess the great battery life makes up for it though if it's as good as they boast.

I definitely like the aesthetics the best out of any phone out or coming out so far. The specs aren't far off of the Galaxy Nexus (the display being the only it it loses to). If it launched with ICS/4.0 and has an unlocked bootloader, I would probably choose it over the GN. The best part of ICS is hardware acceleration, which should do a lot to speed things up on Android and the UI.

The battery life seems amazing on the RAZR, but I don't like that you can't access/replace the battery. I guess the great battery life makes up for it though if it's as good as they boast.

That is kinda how I feel with it. I love the look of the phone, but missing out on the hardware acceleration and the Motorola's past history on unlocking their phones hasn't been great. Wonder if being bought out by Google will change that...

The Nexus live event sold me on the phone. ICS is too damn slick, but the Razr is one sweet looking phone.

Last edited:
That is kinda how I feel with it. I love the look of the phone, but missing out on the hardware acceleration and the Motorola's past history on unlocking their phones hasn't been great. Wonder if being bought out by Google will change that...

The Nexus live event sold me on the phone. ICS is too damn slick, but the Razr is one sweet looking phone.

Completely agree with you. ICS was the thing that completely changed my opinion on this whole discussion. No ICS, no deal for me. It's that kind of game changer. The calendar, the camera handling (panorama/time lapse/etc)...just wow...

it looks like the same as my old Samsung X820

Lolwut..?

motorola-droid-razr-550px.jpg
samsungsghx820jpg.jpg

Vaguely the side profile and back, very vaguely. Otherwise, I see nothing in common :confused:.

Great hardware, but the software is dated out of the gate. CM 7.1.0 is 2.3.7.

If this had ICS, I would buy it over the Prime, but I expect all the extra crap on it is why it's 2.3.5 and not 2.3.7, and that ICS will be a long time coming.

I'm really surprised about the software on the device and it's locked boot loader since Google owns Motorola's mobile division now. I'm guessing this phone was mostly done before that happened.

Razr, is an attractive looking phone, love that they included micro SD, and I think the camera is pretty good. But Android 2.3 is an absolute deal breaker for me. No chance in hell I'll give this phone the time of day sadly. Also concerned that it doesn't have a removable battery.

Galaxy Nexus, I love Android 4.0, the demonstration last night looked really good. The contour glass looks nice, but I don't like the humps on the back. I believe the battery is removable, a big plus for me, because I like to have a spare. No micro SD does upset me, not a deal breaker, but it weighs heavily against getting it. The sample pictures from the camera look very mediocre. I've found camera quality to be disappointing with all my Samsung phones and this looks no different.

My contract is about to expire, I'd love to get a new phone in November. Android 4.0 is an absolute requirement. Just not completely sold on the Galaxy Nexus though. I might get it just because I'm tired of waiting. But if it looks like something with micro SD and Android 4.0 might arrive before the end of the year, I might wait.

perplexing, indeed.

4.0 must...
GN display etc, good..
no sd, battery not good...

brings razr in focus...

pricing will be a factor I reckon..in my choice...

I wonder how google is going to affect them going into next year. I can't see google supporting a locked bootloader or slow sloppy updates. If the razr had ICS on launch I would be all over it. As is I'm going to go with the nexus unless something totally blows on it at launch.

boot loader locked, battery non removable makes the razr not attractive to me now. i like the look though.

Don't blame Motorola for the locked bootloader. That is all Verizon's doing. The international RAZR is unlocked.

Don't blame Motorola for the locked bootloader. That is all Verizon's doing. The international RAZR is unlocked.
Verizon phones with an unlocked or unlockable (signed) bootloader:
HTC Thunderbolt (unlockable)
HTC Droid Incredible 2 (unlockable)
Samsung Continuum (unlocked)
Samsung Fascinate (unlocked)
Samsung Droid Charge (unlocked)
LG Revolution (unlockable)
SE Xperia Play (unlockable)
For posterity: Motorola Droid (unlocked)

Verizon phones with a totally (signed and encrypted) locked bootloader:
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid 3
Motorola Droid Bionic
Motorola Droid RAZR
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid X2

Notice a trend? I think got all of those right, but it's not an exhaustive list. If there is some sort of control-freak need to sign a bootloader, I don't like it, but I can live with that. But signed and encrypted bootloaders are not acceptable (to me, at least).

When will the smartphone version of the Star-Tac be out?
Keep the faith, man.

Verizon phones with an unlocked or unlockable (signed) bootloader:
HTC Thunderbolt (unlockable) Very heavily locked down at launch, it was hacked though.
HTC Droid Incredible 2 (unlockable) Locked, but was hacked.
Samsung Continuum (unlocked)
Samsung Fascinate (unlocked)
Samsung Droid Charge (unlocked) Locked, but rooted
LG Revolution (unlockable)
SE Xperia Play (unlockable)
For posterity: Motorola Droid (unlocked)

Verizon phones with a totally (signed and encrypted) locked bootloader:
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid 3
Motorola Droid Bionic
Motorola Droid RAZR
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid X2

Notice a trend? I think got all of those right, but it's not an exhaustive list. If there is some sort of control-freak need to sign a bootloader, I don't like it, but I can live with that. But signed and encrypted bootloaders are not acceptable (to me, at least).

Keep the faith, man.

I didn't check all of those but you were wrong on many. Bottom line, the RAZR has a lockable/unlockable bootloader. The international version comes unlocked, the Verizon version comes locked. Who do you think is to blame for that?

I never said that I was fine with locked bootloaders, I merely said that the culprit here isn't Motorola, it is Verizon. Verizon doesn't wan't unlocked phones on their network.

Looks like an improved Droid X2... Definitely gonna have trouble getting past the name; the first razr was such a POS.

The Thunderbolt and Dinc2 shipped locked and used signed firmware thus the hacking needed to make them unlockable. But unlockable all the same.;) Which is distinctly different than needing to hijack the boot process for jerry-rigged recovery with the Droid X and Droid 2, if you ask me.

And the Droid Chrage is definitely unlocked: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/04/30/instructions-how-to-root-the-verizon-samsung-droid-charge/ Note the pros section.

I have little doubt Verizon pushes for fully locked-down bootloaders, but somehow Samsung gets to ignore it.

Yup. HTC "encypted" their bootloader on the Sensation, and it got utterly hacked before HTC even got a chance to release their "unlocked" bootloader, lol.

Back