Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 @ best buy $64

If you lease a modem but do not use the upper tier services I would recommend buying a used modem off of CL or ebay. I got mine for $20 but you can get them from 10-$20 easy.

If you lease a modem but do not use the upper tier services I would recommend buying a used modem off of CL or ebay. I got mine for $20 but you can get them from 10-$20 easy.

That's a good idea, esp. since my promo deal is off now. Speaking of, I've heard you gotta drop Comcast for 2-months to be allowed to leach off another promotional price, has anyone had better luck than this?

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/internet/pricing.cox

I have the Premier which is $60 a month with 20 down and 2 up. I regularly get 25 to 28 down but only 1.8 up.

They have a Premier Plus for $80 that gives on paper 28 down 2 up, which I didn't think was worth the cost increase compared to the performance I get with my current plan.

They also have a Ultimate which uses the new DOCSIS 3.0 tech that is 50 down 5 up, I understand that price is either $90 or $100

Az Syndicate,
I have COX in Chandler... do you think the modem change was worth spending the $? I have 20/2 service and get that or faster on lower usage times.

I got the same modem last month and my Upload speed doubled.

My fastest download but my upload is almost always over 10Mb/s :tard:

I do have DOCSIS 3.0 in my area but I havent upgraded to that service yet. Soon...

Az Syndicate,
I have COX in Chandler... do you think the modem change was worth spending the $? I have 20/2 service and get that or faster on lower usage times.

I did not see an increase in any of my speeds, but if you look a couple post before, someone in PHX area got the modem and the upload speeds went up to 9. My guess is that I don't have the DOCSIS 3.0 in my neighborhood yet, but when it comes I should see a speed increase.

first hacked firmware should be released to the public right around christmas time. we're talking >100mbps downstream

they won't be able to do it if u schedule dls at night... upload at limited levels... and don't do personal surfing on it

Would there be a limit if people kept using their wireless G routers or is that going to bottle neck the speeds.

it depends on what service you're getting.

802.11g gets around 24mbps in the real world. if your internet is faster than that....
this modem is capable of speeds in excess of 100mbps, so if you're hooking up to a router/computer via a 100mbps interface, obviously you'll be limited if you're subscribing to a high speed tier (don't think any of the us providers is offering 100+mbps yet though, although many are capable)

I need to get a new modem anyway, might try this. I'm currently using the Crapcast provided RCA modem and it drops the connection about once every hour, not to mention it could heat a small warehouse.

Also, my speeds were MUCH faster than they are now about a year ago. Now they are slow as all crap. I pay for the basic 12mbps service and get about 3-4 down on a good day.

don't knock those rca modems. under the hood, they're the same as many other modems. it could be your individual modem is on the fringe. but more likely, you've got signal issues.

for what it's worth, the 6120 is based on ti's chipset, and we all know how lousy the 5120 was. the 6101 will come eventually based on broadcom, and it'll be a beast

That's a good idea, esp. since my promo deal is off now. Speaking of, I've heard you gotta drop Comcast for 2-months to be allowed to leach off another promotional price, has anyone had better luck than this?

When your price goes back up, all you do is call them up, say you want to cancel your service because it's too expensive, and they'll bargain with you. I've been paying the promotional price for like the last 2 years. They'd much rather keep you as a customer than lose you.

Back