Motherboard shipping

enlightenedby42

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a new in box motherboard from an RMA that I would like to sell. It's a current item that should be fairly easy to find a buyer for. I very rarely do online trading so I'm a bit of a n00b on some of the specifics:

It seems as though most folks price a new item at a bit below current retail and offer to include shipping, which is what I'm planning to do.

My question is what is the best combination of cheap and effective in terms of shipping it? Are there "known quantity" flat rates that anyone can get at anytime so that I know up front how much that will be and can figure it into the price? It will just be a square brown box with the motherboard box inside and will weigh around 8lbs according to the RMA label they provided me.

When someone says "this item is $x shipped", what method are they generally including in the price? Any tips on the shipping thing?

Thanks.

Just go to usps.com, ups.com, or fedex.com (whichever is easier for you) and click their calculate postage be sure to include a tracking number and preferably insurance in case something happens in transit. They'll ask you for the dimensions of the box, weight, value, and then you can figure out your shipping rate from there. I use somewhere on the west coast (I'm in MI) usually 90210 as my destination zip code so I know the most it will cost for continental US, then I adjust my price accordingly, say it's $12 to 90210, and I want 70 for the item, I'll toss it up at 80 shipped. The only "Flat Rate" I know of is USPS Flat Rate and you have to use their boxes for it. Hope that helps some.

Edit* Then when you list the item, I throw in who I'm shipping with such as, xxx Motherboard $80 shipped via USPS Priority, so there's no surprises. :)
Edit 2* If you do want to do USPS Flat Rate, you can order free boxes from USPS.com, I usually get them next day.

USPS has a flat rate box that's just the right size for an ATX board.......I think its like $8.00 for anywhere in the lower 48 states

If you're in the same zone as someone, shipping would probably be no more than $8 for USPS Priority. If it's further than your zone, I'd do what Crosshairs mentioned and get a flat rate box. If you purchase a label online, it'll be $9.85 for regular flat rate boxes. In person at the post office would be $10.35.

USPS Priority is 2-3 day shipping. Discounts for purchasing online and free delivery confirmation.

You can not get a label for the small flat rate boxes($4.95 in person) via paypal.
So if you have something very small, but needs a decent box you can put some bubblewrap in, that's the way to go.

You can print a small flat rate label through USPS.com though. Just as easy if not easier.

USPS has a flat rate box that's just the right size for an ATX board.......I think its like $8.00 for anywhere in the lower 48 states

the nice thing about flat rate boxes is they are a flat rate regardless of weight or destination (in the US). I think the price went up to 10 dollars or so on those recently.

Back