• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Motherboard Settings Question

Peteman100

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
1,466
I know that CPU PLL and FSB termination voltages are both used to stabilize FSB overclocks. However, assuming my overclock is stable, should I be trying to minimize the two settings to reduce heat and wear? Or am I off in that assumption. If it matters, I have a P5q Deluxe. Thanks.
 
You should always try to minimize all the voltage settings if you want to reduce heat and power consumption. Voltage is the main factor that affects those things.
 
I advise against reducing those voltages below spec. The heat reduction will be minimal (probably unmeasurable) and the risk of data corruption greatly increased. It will not hurt anything to try it but I would run memtest overnight to ensure data integrety with reduced voltages to those settings.

In the Electrical Charastics for the chipset http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319970.pdf (I leave it to you to look up your cpu because you did not give it) the voltage and normal current draw for those signals is provided. You will see the current draw for those signals is minimal compated to the current draw of the chip itself and the same holds for the cpu. For example just about any C2D pulls in the order of 65+ watts at load and much more if a quad and/or overclocked. The signals you are talking about might eat Vtt_fsb x Ivtt_fsb = 1.32V x .418 = a little over 1/2 of a watt. That is for the MCH/Nortbridge but the cpu should be simular. Vcore is a power voltage and will greatly affect heat produced, The FSB and PLL are data reference signals and use very little power but are critical settings for data transmission between the cpu and the chipset and memory. Increasing them makes sense (when all other settings fail to provide results) but I am not sure reducing them in the interest of reducing CPU core temps is a good idea over the long term.


I am not up on Asus boards but I beleive I am looking at the correct signals on the MCH and CPU that correspond to the FSB voltage and PLL voltage settings in the bios. I have been wrong before and I welcome corrections.

This is from the chipset datasheet and "Host" below means the CPU.

Host Interface (800/1066/1333 MHz)
VTT_FSB System Bus Input Voltage with respect to VSS
VCCA_HPLL 1.1 V Host PLL Analog Supply Voltage with respect to VSS

To the OP - eh wth do I know, try it and see if you see any significant drop in core temps. Keep in mind the termal sensor has an accuracy of +/- 1 C and the room ambient needs to be fairly steady.
 
Back
Top